Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Turning Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Has anyone else noticed that Sheary is not on pace to reach 20 goals or 40 points, which is the condition for the Pens to pump the 2019 4th to a 3rd from Buffalo. I haven't watched any Sabres games this year but it looks like he lasted played with Rodriguez and Reinhart.

He was on pace to surpass both early in the year. Right now he's just a bit off. A couple good weeks and he'd be back.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
And my point is there's a good chance they're not getting what they want so maybe it does happen.

If it was as open and shut as

"Hi, this is JR, what do you want for Hamilton?"
"Guentzel or nothing"
"kthnxbai"

Then it wouldn't have made Friedman's column to begin with. Clearly there's something more here.

Bob McKenzie said they want a young, cheaper scoring forward for any D man not named Slavin. Which D man will depend on what the offers are so if they don’t get what they want for Hamilton they might for Faulk or Pesce.

EDIT: This is what Friedman said so doesn’t seem too much going on there

“The one team I just think is going to swing at anything right now is going to be Pittsburgh because as long as Crosby and Malkin are in their primes, I think they will take a look at anything that could help them. The match for a scorer, I just don’t see it there. I don’t know if I see the match between the Penguins and the Hurricanes.”

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The thing with Hamilton is he is 25 and a solid top pairing D. He’s been regulated to the third pairing on Carolina, but that D is absolutely stacked.

Schultz is going to walk after next year.
Trading for Hamilton solidifies our top four on the right side for Sid and Geno’s career and provides a player that brings a level of offense comparable to Letang which will help reduce Letang’s minutes as he inevitably declines.

Why will Schultz walk after next season? And why are you overlooking the rumors surrounding Hamilton? I'm not sure if there's any in Carolina, but there were there in Boston AND Calgary.

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
I just read that penguins scout are attending to dallas game?. Are they scouting spezza/faksa or Radulov?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Kind of far fetched, but looking back when Phil was traded to the Pens, and the 8 teams he would accept a trade to, wasn't it speculated that Chicago was on his list?

It wouldn't save much cap space, but I would see it as a win-win with a package that starts with Kessel for Saad. In my wildest dreams it would include DeBrincat/Boqvist, but whatever.

The list was made public. MIN, CHI, LA, NYR, PHI, PIT, BOS, MTL.

There's no way that we'd get either of those guys on top of Saad. The add on top of Saad would be a pretty small one - and that's assuming that Chicago would even be willing to add at all.

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011

There's no way that we'd get either of those guys on top of Saad. The add on top of Saad would be a pretty small one - and that's assuming that Chicago would even be willing to add at all.

I agree with you on the add, I wouldn't expect one... and for me, I like the idea of Kessel for Saad straight up. Just would be interesting to see what it could develop into with the addition of a 1st round pick and/or Jarry. It's all make believe anyways.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

It's also assuming Chicago is still on his list, right? My understanding is that he can change that list at the beginning of every year. He might not have Chicago on his list anymore with their sudden turn towards a non-playoff team.

I don't think it matters though. There might be a day that the Penguins should trade Kessel. I don't think now is that time.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I assume we walk from him given age and what he will demand.

There were no issues in Calgary and Boston is a cesspool.

After 1 google search.
Treliving said:
Read between the lines on Brad Treliving’s rationale behind moving Hamilton and it’s clear problems existed.
“Dougie is a terrific talent on the ice,” said the Flames GM.
“I think I have a good and open relationship with players and so there’s things I’m not going to share. We take everything on and off the ice into consideration here. I’m going to keep that stuff internal.”

From an unnamed NHL AGM re Hamilton's time in Boston.
From what I’ve heard behind the scenes, his teammates don’t like him. I heard he’s a loner and sort of an uppity kid, and that his teammates don’t like him and it was unanimous."

As for Schultz, I don't think we'll walk from him unless we have to. Sure he'll be 30 when his next deal kicks in, but as long as his contract ask isn't too bad, I don't see an issue there.

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's also assuming Chicago is still on his list, right? My understanding is that he can change that list at the beginning of every year. He might not have Chicago on his list anymore with their sudden turn towards a non-playoff team.

I don't think it matters though. There might be a day that the Penguins should trade Kessel. I don't think now is that time.

Yeah, he can change it, and he probably has since then.

Whether they're on depends on whether Kessel wants a list of places he actually wouldn't mind going or a list of places he wouldn't be traded anyway. Given Chicago's cap problems, I think they might still be on for the latter.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
After 1 google search.

From an unnamed NHL AGM re Hamilton's time in Boston.

As for Schultz, I don't think we'll walk from him unless we have to. Sure he'll be 30 when his next deal kicks in, but as long as his contract ask isn't too bad, I don't see an issue there.

You do remember that this was when they said Hamilton goes to the Museum when the rest of the team goes to the bar?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You do remember that this was when they said Hamilton goes to the Museum when the rest of the team goes to the bar?

They went to Moxies for lunch - a little different then "going to the bar". But even that if it was a regular thing (him not wanting to spend time with teammates) is likely indicative of a larger issue.

And that aside, this was after the GM traded him, not "that this was when" Hamilton didn't go with the rest of the team for lunch.

Either way it's a moot point because we won't be trading for him due to not having the assets that Carolina apparently wants - which I'm more than fine with.

Reactions: Ryder71

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

I'm totally opposed to trading Kessel right now, but the team that stands out on that list to me is Min. He's got some connections to the state and they really need help scoring. I could maybe see a deal around one of their defensemen + depth forward.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hamilton is a soft, bad defensively Dman. You don't win with those. Pens should target a much different type of Dman. A two way guy like Martinez.

Hell i think I'd rathr have Schultz tha Hamilton. Schultz has proved his worth in the playoffs.

Hamilton seems to have a problem staying in places. He must have some off ice issues.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hamilton is a soft, bad defensively Dman. You don't win with those. Pens should target a much different type of Dman. A two way guy like Martinez.

Hell i think I'd rathr have Schultz tha Hamilton. Schultz has proved his worth in the playoffs.

Hamilton seems to have a problem staying in places. He must have some off ice issues.
We won with Schultz and Daley both playing. I'd say Hamilton fits the Daley mold pretty well. Daley is soft and awful in his own end, but he was great for us. Not saying Hamilton would be, just that you absolutely can win with that kind of guy.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
We won with Schultz and Daley both playing. I'd say Hamilton fits the Daley mold pretty well. Daley is soft and awful in his own end, but he was great for us. Not saying Hamilton would be, just that you absolutely can win with that kind of guy.

Sure. If you can get Hamilton for Scuderi....I'm all for it.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I'd take Martinez. He can play both positions too and give Schultz time on 3rd pair when he's back after such a long time off with say Pettersson.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Take this for what it’s worth because it’s TIOPS, but they are confirming the Ferland interest and say that CAR has an interest in Simon...I personally wouldn’t do that, we need more forwards not less with all the injuries....

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Lebrun said the asking price for Ferland is a 1st plus prospect.

That seems ridiculous to me, if that's the price for Ferland then the price for Stone should be 3 1st round picks.

Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Three things here. GMJR has to balance the franchise and team with another quality RH D man. That hedges the Schultz injury, or him leaving due to price or cost. Secondly Kessel will bring back assets and needed cap room as there are RH forwards who will be FA and fit. Thirdly, Horny concussions may be a real issue at some point and LTIR for 4 years is not optimum outcome. Because GMJR has little options as to size on D and grit letting Cole go you sign JJ to a 5 year deal. Maybe quit drafting soft 170 pound LH D men Jimmy. In any event be smarter with roster management especially with the immediate pressure to win today. Olli gots to go. Nice payer but Pens need to clear room for a Duchese/ Stone offer.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I don't understand why everyone want's to try Phil so badly. The kid has skill!

I dont know about others but from my own perspective its about future-proofing the Pens now, while the market exists, while there are UFA options that will be available soon, and before all of Phil, Sid, Geno, Letang hit 34-35 and injuries/age start to slow this team down dramatically.

The possibility of Stone, however remote, is the perfect example of that. By the time 87 and 71 are reaching their mid 30s, Jake and Stone would still be in their primes carrying us forward.

I would wager to say that for every single poster that discussed a deal involving Phil, its not about moving him for the sake of moving him. He's a legend. It's just about thinking ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->