Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Turning Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I’ve said in the past, as I think you have, that I think after the season, we should trade Phil for picks and prospects/young cheap players and sign a younger FA winger like Skinner or Stone if he goes on the market...obviously, we’d have to have a deal in place for Phil that’s contingent on us signing that winger, but we’ll have the money to be competitive for those players if we trade Phil for futures...and we’ll have the added advantage of restocking the cupboard...
Yup, that's the ideal move, as tough as it would be to lose Kessel. I think my top target would be Duchene. He's reached PPG levels before, and can slot in as a wing for 87/71 for a few years (or serve as a superb 3C on his own line) for a few years until he slots in as a top 6C. Plus JR might be able to sell him on the story of how Phil revived his own career almost overnight when he put on a Pens uni.

Again, its all very unlikely, because the likes of Stone and Duchene are going to get paid like mad this offseason, but on the off chance that they want to sacrifice a little dough to try and corner the market on the league for a few years, I think JR would be the kind of canny old man to be up to that challenge. Getting Phil in the first place was a bit of wizardry that I never thought was possible before it happened.

The issue is the timeline. We would need to sign Stone or Skinner first, then trade Kessel. If we don't, we stand to risk out on getting one of the FAs and not having Kessel because we already traded him. Which means those draft picks are 2020 picks. Which means it's likely 2023/24 before they're making an impact in the NHL... which puts Crosby and Malkin into their late 30s (36/37). And that's only if they make an impact and do not bust.

No doubt. It would be like threading a needle. JR would have to have that commitment from the player and keep it close to the vest AND hope that a team out there wants Phil enough to part with assets when they could just pick up a UFA winger. Basically, its all gotta be in place before the first domino falls.

And yeah, the scenario of it all going wrong and winding up with nothing is a reason not to try. I think back to Shero's Parise-or-bust plan in 2012 that could've worked but went nowhere. In the unlikely event that we get futures for Phil and no UFA, maybe picks/prospects immediately get moved for some of those top players on bad/declining teams, maybe the Saads, Ninos, Kreiders of the world

Reactions: Riptide and Andy99

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The more I think about it and look up video of Ferland ' s game, it makes a ton of sense.

Versatile. Big. Physical. Track record of working with skill players. And could reasonably fit in our cap situation.

And as Emp said, with the CDS signing, Hurricanes need for a goalie and PH out with another concussion, I'd be surprised if we don't get him at this point.

How he worked with Gaudrau and Monahan, maybe throw him with Sid and Guentzel.

Guentzel-Sid-Ferland
Pearson-Malkin-Kessel
Simon-Brassard-Rust
ZAR-CULLEN-PH

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The more I think about it and look up video of Ferland ' s game, it makes a ton of sense.

Versatile. Big. Physical. Track record of working with skill players. And could reasonably fit in our cap situation.

And as Emp said, with the CDS signing, Hurricanes need for a goalie and PH out with another concussion, I'd be surprised if we don't get him at this point.

I think the biggest thing here is that the Penguins don't have an ideal LW for Brassard-Kessel right now. The problem with that line is that there isn't anyone to go to the net and the board play between those two is virtually non-existent. Pearson is a strong 2-way player and is decent as a net front guy, but he's only okay at that. Ferland brings about everything you want from a 3rd wheel for those two, and he's really damn good at it.

Ferland-Brassard-Kessel is a 3rd line that is legitimately on par with a lot of 1st lines. That's why they should be targeting him. It makes your 2nd line Pearson-Malkin-Simon until Hornqvist gets back, and then Simon (or Rust, but unlikely) adds some talent (or speed) to the 4th line when Hornqvist is back.

Reactions: Riptide

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think the biggest thing here is that the Penguins don't have an ideal LW for Brassard-Kessel right now. The problem with that line is that there isn't anyone to go to the net and the board play between those two is virtually non-existent. Pearson is a strong 2-way player and is decent as a net front guy, but he's only okay at that. Ferland brings about everything you want from a 3rd wheel for those two, and he's really damn good at it.

Ferland-Brassard-Kessel is a 3rd line that is legitimately on par with a lot of 1st lines. That's why they should be targeting him. It makes your 2nd line Pearson-Malkin-Simon until Hornqvist gets back, and then Simon (or Rust, but unlikely) adds some talent (or speed) to the 4th line when Hornqvist is back.

He seems like a player who can work anywhere here. Form a bad ass trio with Sid and Guentzel. Offset some of Brassard's perimeter play. Or give Malkin a Malone/Kunitz presence on his line again.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
No line with THIS Brassard is a 1st line anywhere, regardless of who is on his left side.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I mean, JVR-Bozak-Kessel was a legit 1st line when Bozak was getting carried by the two :dunno:

Ferland vs JVR in 2014 is a huge difference, prime Kessel vs Kessel now, Bozak then was better than Brassard has played in Pittsburgh. If we’re talking about Brassard’s career average, sure.. but Brassard here has been way below that offensively and even more defensively.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

How he worked with Gaudrau and Monahan, maybe throw him with Sid and Guentzel.

Guentzel-Sid-Ferland
Pearson-Malkin-Kessel
Simon-Brassard-Rust
ZAR-CULLEN-PH

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah doing the math quickly, you can hit the cap you need by demoting Ruhwedel, Riikola and Grant while bringing in Ferland.

I'm pretty sure this lineup falls under the cap, but it's a legitimate question if it's worth keeping Sheahan to be the borderline 12th/13th forward at $2.1 million. Trading Sheahan and running with a 23 man roster is probably the better option, but if they're scared of potential injuries for a top-9 forward and want Sheahan as insurance, I could see them pushing to keep him.

Or you just dump Oleksiak, and you have more than enough space without risking anyone you might not want to lose to waivers.

Reactions: Jules Winnfield

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Ferland is alright. Not much better than Pearson but is more physical. His parents spelled his name wrong though, so that bothers me.

Micheal.

AnimatedHiddenBoa-max-1mb.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
While very true, Ferland would at least address some of what's lacking on that line (other than desire from Brassard).

Honestly, I'm not sure anything's lacking on that line apart from desire from Brassard, and I'm not sure anything fixes it other than said.

Reactions: Riptide

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't think Jarry would land Ferland. Probably have to add a mid-round pick.

He still makes for pretty decent trade bait at the deadline though. I was thinking he might be worth hanging onto for goalie insurance during the playoff run...still not sure about that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't think Jarry would land Ferland. Probably have to add a mid-round pick.

He still makes for pretty decent trade bait at the deadline though. I was thinking he might be worth hanging onto for goalie insurance during the playoff run...still not sure about that.

Carolina struggle to score and to prevent other teams from scoring.

If I were them, I'd take Jarry over the usual 2nd rounder+. He's NHL ready, young and not shit at goaltending.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Carolina struggle to score and to prevent other teams from scoring.

If I were them, I'd take Jarry over the usual 2nd rounder+. He's NHL ready, young and not **** at goaltending.

Hey, I'd love it if they would. Ferland would be a great add - but he brings elements I think quite a few teams would like for a playoff run.

He obviously couldn't fetch a 1st, but he might land a 2nd and a decent prospect.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Based on what?

Athleticism mostly... early in each’s careers jarry was the better prospect but his style tends to take longer to develop plus once a prospect doesn’t have a path forward to the nhl they tend to stagnate in the minors and i think we are seeing that with Jarry... i think a scenery change will do him great...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad