Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Turning Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Maybe we could trade something around Jarry for Ferland? Canes desperately need goaltending and Jarry doesnt seem to have a future here anymore.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Maybe we could trade something around Jarry for Ferland? Canes desperately need goaltending and Jarry doesnt seem to have a future here anymore.

Maybe, but if it’s true they’re asking for a first, forgetta about it....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I dont know about others but from my own perspective its about future-proofing the Pens now, while the market exists, while there are UFA options that will be available soon, and before all of Phil, Sid, Geno, Letang hit 34-35 and injuries/age start to slow this team down dramatically.

The possibility of Stone, however remote, is the perfect example of that. By the time 87 and 71 are reaching their mid 30s, Jake and Stone would still be in their primes carrying us forward.

I would wager to say that for every single poster that discussed a deal involving Phil, its not about moving him for the sake of moving him. He's a legend. It's just about thinking ahead.

10000000000%

Reactions: Extra Texture

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I dont know about others but from my own perspective its about future-proofing the Pens now, while the market exists, while there are UFA options that will be available soon, and before all of Phil, Sid, Geno, Letang hit 34-35 and injuries/age start to slow this team down dramatically.

The possibility of Stone, however remote, is the perfect example of that. By the time 87 and 71 are reaching their mid 30s, Jake and Stone would still be in their primes carrying us forward.

I would wager to say that for every single poster that discussed a deal involving Phil, its not about moving him for the sake of moving him. He's a legend. It's just about thinking ahead.

I’ve said in the past, as I think you have, that I think after the season, we should trade Phil for picks and prospects/young cheap players and sign a younger FA winger like Skinner or Stone if he goes on the market...obviously, we’d have to have a deal in place for Phil that’s contingent on us signing that winger, but we’ll have the money to be competitive for those players if we trade Phil for futures...and we’ll have the added advantage of restocking the cupboard...

Reactions: Extra Texture

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Jarry+2nd or 3rd for Ferland with the understanding that we are interested in retaining him beyond this season. Works for me.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That makes sense.

With Murray's injury history JR might want to keep Jarry around this year for insurance.

That's my thinking too. We know the old man loves stockpiling depth.

Not saying he won't use him as a trade chip for something nice now, but I'm guessing he'd rather not unless the piece is very nice.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Jarry+2nd or 3rd for Ferland with the understanding that we are interested in retaining him beyond this season. Works for me.

We would be very close to money in, money out territory.

EDIT: didn’t realise his cap was so low

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Lebrun said the asking price for Ferland is a 1st plus prospect.

That seems ridiculous to me, if that's the price for Ferland then the price for Stone should be 3 1st round picks.

No reason for Carolina to ask less at this point. The TD is still 2 months away... realistically the price will come down to a 2nd+ by then... but until they get close, why not ask for the moon - maybe someone will get desperate and pay it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I’ve said in the past, as I think you have, that I think after the season, we should trade Phil for picks and prospects/young cheap players and sign a younger FA winger like Skinner or Stone if he goes on the market...obviously, we’d have to have a deal in place for Phil that’s contingent on us signing that winger, but we’ll have the money to be competitive for those players if we trade Phil for futures...and we’ll have the added advantage of restocking the cupboard...

The issue is the timeline. We would need to sign Stone or Skinner first, then trade Kessel. If we don't, we stand to risk out on getting one of the FAs and not having Kessel because we already traded him. Which means those draft picks are 2020 picks. Which means it's likely 2023/24 before they're making an impact in the NHL... which puts Crosby and Malkin into their late 30s (36/37). And that's only if they make an impact and do not bust.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
There's a lot of big fish potentially available at the deadline. I would think Ferland is one of the guys who goes for less than a 1st.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Unless we fully intend on signing Ferland, I hesitate on Jarry+ for him.

Jarry fills a big hole for them. If we are sending Jarry+2nd, I want them to send a prospect back. Perhaps Gauthier or even work a deal to add Oleksiak or Rudwedel and get McKeown back.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There's a lot of big fish potentially available at the deadline. I would think Ferland is one of the guys who goes for less than a 1st.

Time and time again we see guys like him go for a 2nd+4th/5th or meh prospect. Hensky, Stempniak, Winnik, etc. Hes not getting a first.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Unless we fully intend on signing Ferland, I hesitate on Jarry+ for him.

Jarry fills a big hole for them. If we are sending Jarry+2nd, I want them to send a prospect back. Perhaps Gauthier or even work a deal to add Oleksiak or Rudwedel and get McKeown back.

Jarry is done here with the Desmith signing and his play. Cut bait and get something of value while we can before we are forced to lose him for nothing.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I didn't see a proposals thread here so I assumed this what you guys use for that stuff...

Anyway, with Desmith being inked to a steal of an extension then Jarry has to be available right?

In Edmonton both our goalies are UFA's at the end of the year and Jarry's an ex Oil King. Could there be a trade here? I'm sure we would be interested, what would you guys want?

I'll start off with Rieder + pick
A fast pk lw for the 3rd line that would fit in with your speedy playstyle. RFA at the end of the year. Add a pick if you need to.

Reactions: Nakawick

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I didn't see a proposals thread here so I assumed this what you guys use for that stuff...

Anyway, with Desmith being inked to a steal of an extension then Jarry has to be available right?

In Edmonton both our goalies are UFA's at the end of the year and Jarry's an ex Oil King. Could there be a trade here? I'm sure we would be interested, what would you guys want?

I'll start off with Rieder + pick
A fast pk lw for the 3rd line that would fit in with your speedy playstyle. RFA at the end of the year. Add a pick if you need to.

I think that would easily be done. But, we likely explore options for more physicality than Rieder provides.

Reactions: 780il

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Certainly one of the types of deals JR can do now with DeSmith locked in.
Thanks for your call EDM, we'll keep you in mind(i'd do it but wanna see what the other offers are).

Reactions: 780il

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'll say it, I don't think Ferland is a fit. Decent player but he's poor defensively and I don't know where Simon plays if we bring him in.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Fair enough.

The guy that perfectly fits what your describing is Khaira. But we're better off keeping him unless we get an overpayment.

Reider seems done. Not really interested.

Khaira...would be very interesting..love his game.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'll say it, I don't think Ferland is a fit. Decent player but he's poor defensively and I don't know where Simon plays if we bring him in.

Ferland is not poor defensively...i mean no less than Simon. With the amount of time Hornqvist gets hurt, having another bull to play in front of the net on the PP would help alot.

Ferland is an awesome player.

Simon can play both wings...so can Ferland. So you'll find space for both.

Simon-Malkin-Ferland could even be a line.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Unless we have CDS inked to an extension, I don't see how we trade Jarry.

Edit: and there we go, CDS locked up. 1.25m x 3. Great deal JR. How did I miss this, DK's site has it dated for yesterday?

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad