Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Turning Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'd also include Terevainen in this, but yeah. They really should blow it up already and just keep their core guys.

Eh. Not really. They seem to think he is only good with Aho.

They HATE Rask though. Apparently he has been horrendous since that deal he got. Super slow.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Brassard is a 6 million dollar player in 2018. Staal at 23 coming off what he was in 2012 is likely getting what Couts just did.

Expecting a 31 year old to put up 40-50 pts as a 3C here is just insane.

That's about yesteryear, today they are equal, should put up equal numbers. Staal also has been playing many years as a 1/2/3 C since he has been gone. Nothing changed. He's still doing Staal things. Staal is only a year behind/younger.

Brassard has been pretty much a 40 point player his entire career as a NHLer.

Both picked very high, Staal over his at #2, not that, that was a big deal, but Brassard was picked in the same area he should have been. One got picked by Pittsburgh and the other by Columbus.

The Pedigree, age, points are all there.

Maybe do a side by side comparison. These guys could be brothers.

One being super great at PKing and the other being okay on the PP.

Staal's contract was his 3rd contract in 2012, I highly doubt he was gonna get 4,333,333 per after just finishing a 4 year 4.0 contract. So no. He wassn't going to get what Clouts just got. That's Clouts 3rd contract after his 2nd contract of two years 1.750 per.

You guys are so off base it really isn't worth talking about.

No common ground at all.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's about yesteryear, today they are equal, should put up equal numbers. Staal also has been playing many years as a 1/2/3 C since he has been gone. Nothing changed. He's still doing Staal things. Staal is only a year behind/younger.

Brassard has been pretty much a 40 point player his entire career as a NHLer.

Both picked very high, Staal over his at #2, not that, that was a big deal, but Brassard was picked in the same area he should have been. One got picked by Pittsburgh and the other by Columbus.

The Pedigree, age, points are all there.

Maybe do a side by side comparison. These guys could be brothers.

One being super great at PKing and the other being okay on the PP.

Staal's contract was his 3rd contract in 2012, I highly doubt he was gonna get 4,333,333 per after just finishing a 4 year 4.0 contract. So no. He wassn't going to get what Clouts just got. That's Clouts 3rd contract after his 2nd contract of two years 1.750 per.

You guys are so off base it really isn't worth talking about.

No common ground at all.

None of what you said makes sense and who the hell is Clouts? I’m talking about Couture on the Sharks.

Staal has always been a better player than Brassard. Brass hit 50+ and 60 with powerplay time accounting for 18 points both times. He’s typically been a top six forward that puts up 35-40 ES pts. He’s on pace for 28 ES pts here playing as a bottom six forward.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Brassard will probably have to take a short-term "prove it" contract after this season.

Not really, he isn't way off base, and for sure GM's don't look at it like we do. Brassard at the end of the day is still a top 2 line C.

He'll get his raise of 6.0 wherever a team is hard up for one of those who need a top C, and in some cases to get to the cap floor, and get maybe a little more to sign there in signing bonuses.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
None of what you said makes sense and who the hell is Clouts? I’m talking about Couture on the Sharks.

Staal has always been a better player than Brassard. Brass hit 50+ and 60 with powerplay time accounting for 18 points both times. He’s typically been a top six forward that puts up 35-40 ES pts. He’s on pace for 28 ES pts here playing as a bottom six forward.

So I added a letter. Couts not hard to figure out.

Edit: One go ot to go to CBJ and play and the other got to play with and behind the two best centers for 6 years.

Advantage whom?

Like I said, we are <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<way off>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I'm done.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Does Carolina like any of their players at this point? Team is a perennial disappointment and Lindholm gets moved and is killing it.
Wasn't the thing with Lindholm that the Canes only saw him as a center and so they moved him, Flames flip him to wing (he is also playing with Monahan and Gaudreau, so not exactly scrubs there) and he's a beast all of a sudden.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I completely disagree.

I think people who underestimate what they did to get him, and it was a lot, (that whole 3 team trade was about Brassard), and what he's capable of doing today. 4o points really isn't a high expectation for who he is, and the team this is.

This team is also much better than the one Staal patrolled. Brassard really shouldn't have much problems getting favorable matchups. The other teams still deploy their best against either Sid or Geno.

3rd C should be a walk in the park compared to Top C and PP minutes playing against the best. He should be feasting 5 on 5 as a 3C.
He's also still getting more D starts than he ever has really. Like I said, in the 40's is his standard production. You just think he should maintain that despite the reduced role at ES and PP?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Wasn't the thing with Lindholm that the Canes only saw him as a center and so they moved him, Flames flip him to wing (he is also playing with Monahan and Gaudreau, so not exactly scrubs there) and he's a beast all of a sudden.

They tried him at wing. I dunno. I feel like he’s going to have one hot season than go back to what he is.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
We simply don't have enough wingers to go around for Brassard to perform. I said that the day we traded for him and it still rings true.

Kessel on the third line is mistake. Rutherford's biggest gaff so far might be saying that he wants Kessel to play with Brassard. We won a cup with Malkin and Kessel playing together just 2 years ago. HBK worked because our team had speed throughout the lineup. We no longer have that. And the fact that they are trying to "get Brassard going" and ignoring the fact that Geno is in a huge rut is baffling. Geno going >>>> Brassard going.

I think the solution is flipping Brass for someone that can center a third line shut-down line. The idea of a guy like J Staal intrigues me. Not sure if he specifically is realistic, but a guy like him would be better than trying to half-ass 3 or 4 scoring lines.

Scoring line - Jake - Sid - Rust/Hornqvist
Scoring line - Pearson - Malkin - Kessel
Shut-down line Cullen - Staal - Rust/Hornqvist
Energy line Simon - Sheahan - ZAR

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Carolina's funny.

Carolina: *trades Jeff Skinner*

Also Carolina: "We need goal scorers"

He wasn’t re signing and had a NMC so they traded him to where he wanted to go to get something. They might not have been able to trade him at the deadline.

Thought they could have got a bit better given all that still (2nd, 3rd, 6th and a prospect - Pu)

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He's also still getting more D starts than he ever has really. Like I said, in the 40's is his standard. You just think he should maintain that despite the reduced role at ES and PP?

Like I said, the matchups should see him feasting. He's not far off as I said.

Just last year he was 46 points in only 72 games(8 in 14 games as a Pen). It's not like he'll get 100% crap starts or not get time with one of Sid, Geno or Phil.

I really don't see how you guys can't see some common ground. I doubt they traded for him to be a lesser player going through all that 3 team trade effort thinking, "I hope he can score 30/35 points for us." He was brought in to play with Kessel for heaven's sake.

The discussion is hitting insanity levels because people are just saying "he can't do it, no way!"

That's horse dung.

I'm just disappointed it didn't translate faster/better. But that is also the team being dysfunctional, but he should have been more of the solution.

He has the rest of this season (45 games) to better his 11 points in 28 games. That's just a little under what he should do at a 32 point pace, but he's also missed 9 games (3.5 points) so far. That's 8 points off the mark for the entire season. All it could take is a hot run and he's right where he should be.

He would need to score about 26 points to be where he should the rest of the way.

That's 37 points in 72 games.

Are you willing to bet he won't do that?

That's not a lofty number to reach in 45 games. A team starting to rise.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Like I said, the matchups should see him feasting. He's not far off as I said.

Just last year he was 46 points in only 72 games(8 in 14 games as a Pen). It's not like he'll get 100% crap starts or not get time with one of Sid, Geno or Phil.

I really don't see how you guys can't see some common ground. I doubt they traded for him to be a lesser player going through all that 3 team trade effort thinking, "I hope he can score 30/35 points for us." He was brought in to play with Kessel for heaven's sake.

The discussion is hitting insanity levels because people are just saying "he can't do it, no way!"

That's horse dung.

I'm just disappointed it didn't translate faster/better. But that is also the team being dysfunctional, but he should have been more of the solution.

He has the rest of this season (45 games) to better his 11 points in 28 games. That's just a little under what he should do at a 32 point pace, but he's also missed 9 games (3.5 points) so far. That's 8 points off the mark for the entire season. All it could take is a hot run and he's right where he should be.

He would need to score about 26 points to be where he should the rest of the way.

That's 37 points in 72 games.

Are you willing to bet he won't do that?

That's not a lofty number to reach in 45 games. A team starting to rise.
Around 40 is where he should be in this role imo. But I wouldn't say it's the floor. I'd expect a good year to be 35-40 pts if he plays 82 games. Anything more is gravy. And if he's stuck with ZAR for large chunks (like he has been) it will be tougher to do that.

Like you say, he's one or two decent streaks from having very solid totals.

What I can't get behind is expecting lesser matchups to outweigh less ice time, worse linemates, and worse zone starts. It's a harder role to score in.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
To be honest, the idea of trading Brassard+ for Staal and then making the 3rd line something like Rust/Simon-Staal-Hornqvist sounds absurdly appealing to me.

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Pearson-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Staal-Hornqvist

giphy.gif

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Around 40 is where he should be in this role imo. But I wouldn't say it's the floor. I'd expect a good year to be 35-40 pts if he plays 82 games. Anything more is gravy. And if he's stuck with ZAR for large chunks (like he has been) it will be tougher to do that.

Like you say, he's one or two decent streaks from having very solid totals.

What I can't get behind is expecting lesser matchups to outweigh less ice time, worse linemates, and worse zone starts. It's a harder role to score in.

That's reasonable, and fair.

Also answers we don't have.

If the recent Pearson, Brassard and Kessel line takes off from this last showing who knows.

They'd be a fool not to ride it tonight.

Reactions: Ogrezilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad