Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Turning Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Pearson-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Staal-Hornqvist

giphy.gif

I'd be fine with it, but they'll suffer with that cap hit for another 4 years.

Also, what else is going their way? Brassard isn't gonna do it by himself, and I doubt picks and prospects will do. It would probably cost a Rust or Pearson add.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Also, what else is going their way? Brassard isn't gonna do it by himself, and I doubt picks and prospects will do. It would probably cost a Rust or Pearson add.
shit I didn't realize he still had 4 more years :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I don't think it'd be "suffering". Staal's a full-menu center who can dominate possession and in the dot - 6 mil is about right for what he brings IMO.

I proposed Brass, Hallander, and a 1st.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Imagine thinking your team was a Scott Darling away from being a perennial playoff team. Every off-season for like, the past 8 years it's "oh this is our year" from Canes fans, but they can never explain where the offense is going to come from or who's going to be stopping pucks. Delusional fan base.

As far as Brassard I think interest in him will probably be lower than if he were a UFA, like, last summer, but I think there'll be enough teams that recognize he's struggling because he's playing a 3C roll behind two of the best centers in the league. I think he'll probably go to a bad team where he's at least their #2C. Maybe Dallas.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like fitting in Staal's 6 mil contract will be tough.

Yeah, that's the biggest problem when it comes to acquiring Staal. If he was even only at $5 million, I think you could do it. 6 million is going to be super difficult, you probably have to just trade Maatta and replace him with Riikola to be able to afford that.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think it'd be "suffering". Staal's a full-menu center who can dominate possession and in the dot - 6 mil is about right for what he brings IMO.

I proposed Brass, Hallander, and a 1st.

True.

I doubt that's gonna do it For one, not enough salary going back, and why exactly would they send such good player for a UFA, Center prospect and a mid to late 1st?

That's lowballing. They are not forced to trade him for that, they'll just keep him.

That might get you Faulk though with a sweetner.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
at 6 mil? I'm not saying he's not a 6 mil center, I'm saying I don't know if we can afford a 6 mil 3C. Short term we could if we purged the D. Long term, we have to pay someone to play D.

I know you're not disputing this, but just for context last summer a perpetually injured Hanzal got a 3 year deal @4.75 mil per, and Staal's a frickin iron man.

If we purged the d by moving Maatta - which we ought to do anyway - we'd be set for next year, and the cap always rises. I'm really not too worried beyond next season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
True.

I doubt that's gonna do it For one, not enough salary going back, and why exactly would they send such good player for a UFA, Center prospect and a mid to late 1st?

That's lowballing. They are not forced to trade him for that, they'll just keep him.

That might get you Faulk though with a sweetner.

It seems to have gone over pretty well. Keep in mind that Staal is having a pretty down year by his standards.

I think Carolina needs him to do things as a 2C that aren't his forte, sort of like Brass at 3C here.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It seems to have gone over pretty well. Keep in mind that Staal is having a pretty down year by his standards.

I think Carolina needs him to do things as a 2C that aren't his forte, sort of like Brass at 3C here.

I can see where you are coming from, but reality is both players are pretty good and GM's know this as well as their value. One side has a leg up on the other having their guy locked in.

That's worth more regardless. Unless the Pens give them the right to talk with him and they get a handshake deal done until he can sign.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Would people really rather give up assets - and take on a ton of salary - for Staal than just signing Filppula in the offseason for like $3 million for a year or two?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Would people really rather give up assets - and take on a ton of salary - for Staal than just signing Filppula in the offseason for like $3 million for a year or two?

Why not Bozak out of St. Louis?

Million cheaper than Staal, 2 years left and you know the Kessel connection.

Filp's an unknown if he'd ever work here, older, 35+ rule and so on.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I would. Staal's 4 years younger and quite a bit better at just about everything. He can eat a lot more minutes, dominate possession, score more, he's a lot better in the dot...

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'd love JS back here. I think he's the perfect fit and it makes some sense for him as he gets older. That said, the only way I'd acquire him is if someone retained on him. 6M may be too much to build around without a steady flow of NHLers on ELC's.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

Yes. You can’t even compare them and what they bring to their teams based on points. All day Bob Errey day give me Staal.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad