Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Why do people keep saying "Ya know what, I would/wouldn't trade Guentzel for Parayko" as though the Blues would in a million years ever trade their young top-pairing-calibre RD for a LW (their only position of organizational strength) who has never scored more than 48 points.

Like you gotta understand that it's basically like a Minnesota fan being like "Unpopular opinion, I'd trade Niederreiter for Seth Jones." Like that's great that you would, but it would never happen in a million years.

By a similar token, I doubt the Pens are trading their only legit top six young winger for anything short of a ransom. We struggle to find scoring wingers to play with Crosby and Malkin even with him. He's not going anywhere.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think we need to sign this guy as a future #1 for us, I have a good feeling about this, trust me.

Link

8Wigmx4.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Why do people keep saying "Ya know what, I would/wouldn't trade Guentzel for Parayko" as though the Blues would in a million years ever trade their young top-pairing-calibre RD for a LW (their only position of organizational strength) who has never scored more than 48 points.

Like you gotta understand that it's basically like a Minnesota fan being like "Unpopular opinion, I'd trade Niederreiter for Seth Jones." Like that's great that you would, but it would never happen in a million years.

Judging Guentzel by the 48 point season when he's a play off record breaker with (prior to this season) total RS + PO numbers equating to a 60 point pace, and who is currently in the top 30 for ES production and has the same rough RS ES pace as Marner, Skinner and Kessel since the start of the 2016 season, is just weird. I'm not saying St Louis would do the deal, but people are not looking at him and seeing only that 48 point season. He is a lot better than Niederreiter - and Parayko isn't Seth Jones either.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I’m not a “wouldn’t trade Guentzel for McDavid” guy but he has 150 points in 190 games including the playoffs and doesn’t get #1 PP time very often. That’s fine if St. Louis says no, Pittsburgh needs a Guentzel more than they need a Parayko. The team will live and die with its forwards, it simply needs guys back there who can skate and get the puck out of the zone. It needs not-Maatta/JJ/Oleksiak not Parayko. I’d take Trevor Daley right now over two of those guys and he’s not good.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
If we trade Guentzel we have zero legitimate top 6 left wingers who can score.

Do you want ZAR and Pearson as your top 6 left wings? That’s as shitty as what we had when Dick Tarnstrom was leading the Pens in points.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'm not saying I want to trade Guentzel! He's my favourite player on the team and I think his chemistry with Sid makes him worth more to us than anyone else.

I'm just saying Guentzel actual trade value is not anywhere near Parayko, even recognizing that the Blues have no organizational need for a top six LW.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Why couldnt Rutta been on waivers today instead. Im pretty sure best case with Letang is a few weeks. Maybe around the new years.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They should probably look to trade Jarry and re-sign DeSmith. Jarry doesn't really have a future here, with the sudden emergence of DeSmith as a legitimate backup and Murray being around for the next few years. I'm just concerned what it's going to cost to re-sign DeSmith, I could easily see him going after the Darling contract to be a starter.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
They should probably look to trade Jarry and re-sign DeSmith. Jarry doesn't really have a future here, with the sudden emergence of DeSmith as a legitimate backup and Murray being around for the next few years. I'm just concerned what it's going to cost to re-sign DeSmith, I could easily see him going after the Darling contract to be a starter.

I disagree Jarry won’t get much of a return at all why trade him?He is signed for another year. And would be the perfect back up.

I can DeSmith wanting to be a number 1 if he keeps trending that way. And that won’t work with Murray.

So next year you have either de smith or Murray as the number 1 with jarry as the backup.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Curious what they do D wise. They can’t really bring in a replacement without moving out cap.

Seems to me the Pens could put Schultz on LTIR and acquire Spurgeon without having to move out cap, so long as they're compliant by the time Schultz gets back (i.e. launch Maatta into the sun etc).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Seems to me the Pens could put Schultz on LTIR and acquire Spurgeon without having to move out cap, so long as they're compliant by the time Schultz gets back (i.e. launch Maatta into the sun etc).

I’m not really sure they could send out Maatta without taking cap back or a sweetener. I guess you hope a team bites for like a 3rd line LW that maybe works with Malkin and Kessel and pushes ZAR / Rust to the 4th.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why is Minnesota trading Spurgeon?

I dunno. He's been rumoured to be on the block for awhile.

I’m not really sure they could send out Maatta without taking cap back or a sweetener. I guess you hope a team bites for like a 3rd line LW that maybe works with Malkin and Kessel and pushes ZAR / Rust to the 4th.

Could be. Might have to add some sweetener, or maybe Olli's play picks up some in the interim.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Maatta and Olek need to be gone. Period.

Get Riko back in there and trade for a top 4 guy. If Schultz proves he can play at a high level this spring, great, but he's coming off a major leg injury. I wouldn't count on him this year.

We need guys who can skate and move the damn puck. Our transition from the back end is brutal beyond 58.

Trade all our picks. I don't care. We can still make a run but it's not going to happy with the current defense.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Maatta and Olek need to be gone. Period.

Get Riko back in there and trade for a top 4 guy. If Schultz proves he can play at a high level this spring, great, but he's coming off a major leg injury. I wouldn't count on him this year.

We need guys who can skate and move the damn puck. Our transition from the back end is brutal beyond 58.

Trade all our picks. I don't care. We can still make a run but it's not going to happy with the current defense.

I’m not trading our 1st because we could easily get someone that can step in next year if we have something in the 16th range and trade up

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Danault is interesting as a target. If Montreal likes Maatta that's a pretty great deal right there.
Why would Montreal do this?

I know they need LD but most importantly, they need that LD to play with Shea Weber, the best "stay at home defenceman in the league"

Why the Holy f*** would they pair him with someone slower than his Granny?

EDIT - Especially if they are trading one of their half-way decent C's.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I’m not trading our 1st because we could easily get someone that can step in next year if we have something in the 16th range and trade up

Why are we picking 16th?

I don't think for one second this team is not making the postseason.

And somebody getting picked in the mid teens is almost surely not helping us win a Cup for a few years. You know right when our window is closed.

When Sid and Malkin hang them up were going to have to do a full rebuild anyway. 1st round picks are no help to us now. I'm sorry but teams that are seriously contending need to give to get.

If you want an impact D, which is what we need, you need to trade valuables. You want to give up Guentzel? I don't. Not when it's incredibly hard to find players who fit as well with Sid as Jake does.

Which means you trade picks. Maatta and picks. Maybe a Jarry since DeSmith has proven himself extremely valuable. I don't trust Murray at all. Not until he proves it again.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Why are we picking 16th?

I don't think for one second this team is not making the postseason.

And somebody getting picked in the mid teens is almost surely not helping us win a Cup for a few years. You know right when our window is closed.

When Sid and Malkin hang them up were going to have to do a full rebuild anyway. 1st round picks are no help to us now. I'm sorry but teams that are seriously contending need to give to get.

If you want an impact D, which is what we need, you need to trade valuables. You want to give up Guentzel? I don't. Not when it's incredibly hard to find players who fit as well with Sid as Jake does.

Which means you trade picks. Maatta and picks. Maybe a Jarry since DeSmith has proven himself extremely valuable. I don't trust Murray at all. Not until he proves it again.

I imagine if we are in a wild card we are playing Toronto or Tampa who I think would be a hard team for us to win against.

I also said if we get something in the 16 range we could trade up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad