Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
The usage of Riikola reminds me so much of Bylsma/Shero era that I can't help but laugh out of disbelief at this point.

Why do euro players even bother signing with us as free agents?

It's such bad luck, like Bengtsson got some old timey disease even being associated with us and Riikola is literally wondering why the **** he was even signed to begin with at this point.

I bet Rikolas just fine with his lot in life.

Name one Euro player that got some sort of raw deal here?

Reactions: Riptide

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Even if you protect a first round pick this year and you miss the playoffs it will turn into an unprotected first round pick in 2020.

Would you want to give up an unprotected 2020 first round pick?

Don't you think its more likely the Pens just keep on getting worse because of their core being over 30 and having no young impact players coming?

True. It's a concern either way.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We need someone new on Geno's line. Silfverberg?

Jake-Sid-Horny
Silf-Geno-Kessel
Rust-Sheahan-Simon
Pearson-Cullen-ZAR

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think it’s worth the risk. Especially as the game continues to get younger.

Not to mention if you get a legitimate top six winger (sick burn) or top four d that helps you lessen the coming cap crunch. Although unless Murray wins a Vezina or another cup in the next two years, I think he solved that himself.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't want some decent draft picks. I'm just saying that getting them with the idea that they'll be in the NHL 2 years from now is a terrible idea - and banking on them playing that same year is an even worse idea. Because using the last 2 drafts, almost 50% of the top 10 picks over 2 years are not yet NHLer's. That's almost a 50% failure rate - and that's not even getting into how many of those guys are impact players yet.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The usage of Riikola reminds me so much of Bylsma/Shero era that I can't help but laugh out of disbelief at this point.

Why do euro players even bother signing with us as free agents?

It's such bad luck, like Bengtsson got some old timey disease even being associated with us and Riikola is literally wondering why the **** he was even signed to begin with at this point.

Because we're paying him more than 10x what he was making in Europe? And we play a style that suites his game rather well? While I'm sure that he'd rather be playing every game, that doesn't change the fact that he knew that he'd have to fight his way into getting regular ice time. Even before we signed JJ, we still had a deep blueline. As of May 18th:

Letang - signed long term
Dumoulin - signed long term
Maatta - signed long term
Schultz - signed for 2 additional seasons
Hunwick - signed for 2 additional seasons
Oleksiak - just acquired this season, RFA
Ruhwedel - signed for 1 additional season

And while Hunwick was sucking last season, Ruhwedel and Oleksiak were playing well. He KNEW that he'd have a struggle just getting NHL icetime.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not saying that we shouldn't want some decent draft picks. I'm just saying that getting them with the idea that they'll be in the NHL 2 years from now is a terrible idea - and banking on them playing that same year is an even worse idea. Because using the last 2 drafts, almost 50% of the top 10 picks over 2 years are not yet NHLer's. That's almost a 50% failure rate - and that's not even getting into how many of those guys are impact players yet.

I think our team could afford to hang on to a 1st make a move with Maatta and then sign a vet...

Oh wait. Nevermind. Just remembered what happened the last three times we signed a veteran D.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think our team could afford to hang on to a 1st make a move with Maatta and then sign a vet...

I'm not saying that we shouldn't hang onto it (although neither would it really bother me to move it), I'm just saying don't hang onto it solely with the expectation that the player will be contributing in 1-2 seasons. They probably won't even be an NHLer, let alone someone who's an impact player within 1-2 seasons of their draft.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Would you want to give up an unprotected 2020 first round pick?

Don't you think its more likely the Pens just keep on getting worse because of their core being over 30 and having no young impact players coming?

I mean, for whats out there right now? No.
But JR just missed on Domi and pursued Montour.
You can trade for young impact players.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We need someone new on Geno's line. Silfverberg?

Jake-Sid-Horny
Silf-Geno-Kessel
Rust-Sheahan-Simon
Pearson-Cullen-ZAR

If we wanted Silfverberg, we should have gotten him when we got Pettersson, seems stupid now to go after him when it could have been 1 trade. Also, why are we getting a right winger to play him on the left, Dan Bylsma, is that you? Get off the net, go find a job.

I think if you look at the right wingers when we're 100% healthy again, it's tough to really make "a big move"...

Guentzel, Crosby, Simon
Aston-Reese, Malkin, Hornqvist
Pearson, Brassard, Kessel
Cullen, Sheahan, Rust
Grant

We're fine, the only worry is Sullivan f***ing it all up with his need to move shit for the sake of moving shit. The biggest issue I would see here is that our left wingers after Jake, are sort of the "same same, but different, but same" types. They can skate, they are decent at both ends and are physical players.

All of the "scoring" comes from most of the right wingers and Jake on the left side. Pearson is still getting comfortable. If the Pens are going to make a move for a winger, you gotta look at who might be the one on the outs.

Do you dangle Simon and a pick to get a talented winger that might be on the outs and sell a team on the fact that Simon has produced as a LW/RW in the top 9? Do you package on of the defensemen with a pick and try to land a winger, then try to sneak Grant to the AHL? Is ZAR able to pass through waivers?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean, for whats out there right now? No.
But JR just missed on Domi and pursued Montour.
You can trade for young impact players.

I would have rather this team landed a Montour than a Pettersson, we have a lot of defensemen that bring very little offensively already, what this team needed on the blueline was another puck mover on the 3rd pair and instead we got more "safer" type defensemen and whatever Oleksiak decided to be on a shift by shift basis.

Montour would have been fantastic, the way he attacks the zone and carries the puck, he's been somewhat inconsistent on the Ducks this year with it, but you can see how he would be such a good fit.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Brassard needs to go. If we can somehow unload him by the deadline for anything worth while, I’d do it. A playoff team would absolutely take a chance at Brassard tonthrow them over the top.

What could we get in return though is the question. It has to be worthwhile because if we manage to squeak into the yoffs, we’re gonna want Brassard rather than a pick or some piece that isn’t contributing NOW

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just looking at teams that could use Brass:

For Sure:
CGY
CBJ
DET
MTL
WPG

The Maybe's:
ARI
CAR
EDM
NJ
STL
VAN
OTT

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Brassard needs to go. If we can somehow unload him by the deadline for anything worth while, I’d do it. A playoff team would absolutely take a chance at Brassard tonthrow them over the top.

What could we get in return though is the question. It has to be worthwhile because if we manage to squeak into the yoffs, we’re gonna want Brassard rather than a pick or some piece that isn’t contributing NOW
We would desperately need a center back in any trade. The last thing this team needs is more minutes from Riley Sheahan.

Reactions: Shockmaster

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
We would desperately need a center back in any trade. The last thing this team needs is more minutes from Riley Sheahan.

Cullen, Grant or Sheahan are not awesome, but could be serviceable....Maybe...ugh...

What they need to do is get a couple more wins and get some WBS centers some NHL experience so if we need to call someone up later we can at least have guys who've seen NHL speed.

Crosby
Malkin
Sheahan
Grant
Cullen

Is terrifying if there's an injury, though.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Cullen, Grant or Sheahan are not awesome, but could be serviceable....Maybe...ugh...

What they need to do is get a couple more wins and get some WBS centers some NHL experience so if we need to call someone up later we can at least have guys who've seen NHL speed.

Crosby
Malkin
Sheahan
Grant
Cullen

Is terrifying if there's an injury, though.
We did the whole Sheahan playing above his ability thing last year and it wasn’t fun. Cullen was brought in to play 4C or 4LW and Grant was a depth signing. The 2-line team didn’t work last year. Oftentimes, DB is the only respectable player in our bottom six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad