Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Hot damn I’d deal Phil for that if Silf stays. It’d make sense if that deal was part of the Sprong one if they were interested though, you’d think.

BUT, that's your risk. It could be we send a conditional pick if he stays. I don't know. I just didn't see that swapping of the goalies, but I could see Silf.

Problem is, I don't see how the Ducks defense makes that work. They'll need a defenseman to replace Montour. A real one.

I don't know . . . maybe it becomes viable when Fowler comes back? Maybe we add Oleksiak, but then it may not work for the Ducks under the cap.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Really, I would not.

I wasn't even necessarily proposing the deal. Rather, I was saying that if Phil for Montour was discussed, I doubt the other part was a goalie swap. Just makes zero sense for Anaheim. At least something around Phil for Silf and Montour is something I could have seen (at the time, I think Fowler still was healthy too).

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If we could get Fowler or Leddy for this team we’re golden.

Brodie could be someone more realistic.

Mobile and has a track record of big minutes.

Plus we have quite a few players who'd interest Calgary.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
IF OM is moved the one thing I'll miss is that he has a very good hockey IQ. And on this D core that's very much in short supply.

He hasn’t really showed that this season that much and because of his other limitations his game turns to **** if his brain isn’t functioning.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hot damn I’d deal Phil for that if Silf stays. It’d make sense if that deal was part of the Sprong one if they were interested though, you’d think.

Kessel for Montour + Silfverberg (signing a 5x 5m extension)? Yeah I'd probably do that as well. I don't think we need a game breaking talent like Kessel, as long as the guys replacing him are skilled players. The below is still a very good top 6.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Pearson - Malkin - Silfverberg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think I'd do Kessel for Montour and Silfverberg, I'd be shooting for a better defenseman and a worse RWer if we're trying to get a RW and RD package for Kessel. I want JR to shoot for a Spurgeon level RD or better if they trade Kessel, I don't think Montour is on that level.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I don't think I'd do Kessel for Montour and Silfverberg, I'd be shooting for a better defenseman and a worse RWer if we're trying to get a RW and RD package for Kessel. I want JR to shoot for a Spurgeon level RD or better if they trade Kessel, I don't think Montour is on that level.

Bump from earlier which you ignored....interesting no?

Yeah, the Penguins should treat Guentzel the same way that the Leafs treated Nylander if Guentzel decides to hold out. Use him as a trade chip for a defenseman if he's not willing to sign, and only sign him if you can't make a deal involving improving your defense.
You keep talking about adding defensemen in every thread. Q..... If we traded Jake for a D like you suggest, who exactly are playing the wings?

At some point soon, Horny's body may give out. Maybe not, but it's a very plausible scenario based on his style........tick tock.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I like Montour's youth, cheaper contract and RFA status more than I like Spurgeon with his slightly better abilities. With Schultz here (once healthy), I don't think we need a 2/3D so much as we just need someone that has a good transition game. I'm also a much bigger fan of Silfverberg then I am Nino.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Phil has a unique skillset and I would be very hesitant in moving him. The deal would have to be crazy good. And the ANA rumor isn't that IMO.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like Montour's youth, cheaper contract and RFA status more than I like Spurgeon with his slightly better abilities. With Schultz here (once healthy), I don't think we need a 2/3D so much as we just need someone that has a good transition game. I'm also a much bigger fan of Silfverberg then I am Nino.

I've already made my opinions on Schultz pretty clear I feel like, I want to get someone better than Schultz and look to move Schultz out of here. I want to get that more reliable #2 or #3 RD that can skate the puck well because I don't trust Schultz in that role.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Ironic to think that the winger the Pens probably need to add will need to be a winger for Geno.

IF Phil could stick with Sid . . .

Jake-Sid-Phil
???-Geno-Horny
Pearson-Brass-Rust
ZAR-Sheahan-Simon

(if it's not working for Sid, Simon to L1, Phil to L3, Rust to L4)

OR

Jake-Sid-Phil
Pearson-Geno-???
Simon-Brass-Horny
ZAR-Sheahan-Rust

(trickier if it's not working, maybe Horny flips with Phil)

End of the day, IF the ??? is nailed right by JR, that's a pretty good setup.

Reactions: Guentz

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jake-Sid-Phil
Pearson-Geno-???
Simon-Brass-Horny
ZAR-Sheahan-Rust

I feel like this is the obvious setup for how they should be running with the lines :dunno:

I think what you should be targeting is a player who can play both LW and RW, one that can alternate between the 3rd line LW (when Simon is with Crosby) and 2nd line RW (when Kessel is with Crosby). Coincidentally, Rust is the exact kind of guy I think you need for that spot if he would be playing well. He's just not playing well and I'm not sure if they can rely on him getting back.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ironic to think that the winger the Pens probably need to add will need to be a winger for Geno.

Jake-Sid-Phil
???-Geno-Horny
Pearson-Brass-Rust
ZAR-Sheahan-Simon

OR

Jake-Sid-Phil
Pearson-Geno-???
Simon-Brass-Horny
ZAR-Sheahan-Rust

Not trying to be sarcastic here at all, but that makes too much sense for them to consider doing that, sadly!

Reactions: KIRK

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Jake-Sid-Phil
???-Geno-Horny
Pearson-Brass-Rust
ZAR-Sheahan-Simon

OR

Jake-Sid-Phil
Pearson-Geno-???
Simon-Brass-Horny
ZAR-Sheahan-Rust

I’ll take the first line up as Simon isn’t a natural shooter and that’s who should be across from Hornqvist. Unless you find the extremely rare HGH combo.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I feel like this is the obvious setup for how they should be running with the lines :dunno:

Maybe you forget about trading anyone EXCEPT Maatta and Oleksiak. For the money you're paying them and futures, you find a RW for Geno and try to find a legit partner for Schultz when he returns.

Jake-Sid-Phil
Pearson-Geno-TRADE
Simon-Brass-Horny
ZAR/Cullen-Sheahan-Rust

Dumo-Letang
TRADE-Schultz
Petterrsen/Riikola-Johnson

IF you moved Maatta and Oleksiak, there's 6M cap space to work with.

BUT, as I noted in tonight's PGT, Pearson needs to be the guy he was a week and a half ago, not the guy he's been the last 3 games, especially tonight, because tonight he was as bad as it gets Kunitz out there.

EDIT: One thing this lineup affords you is tweaking options. Horny and Phil can flip. If Pearson isn't getting it done, Rust could slide up (even though it would be ZAR, which is why I say Pearson needs to be more good Kunitz than bad Kunitz even when he's not scoring).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When healthy, I want to see them running with this with Crosby-Kessel:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kessel
Pearson-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Brassard-Hornqvist

and this when they're not running with Crosby-Kessel:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-Brassard-Kessel

This seems like the best way to set up the lineup, IMO. What you may need to find is an upgrade on Rust, someone who can play both RW and LW and fits both what a Brassard-Kessel and a Malkin-Pearson duo needs. Rust is exactly that if he would be playing well, which makes it frustrating to see him struggle.

Maybe you forget about trading anyone EXCEPT Maatta and Oleksiak. For the money you're paying them and futures, you find a RW for Geno and try to find a legit partner for Schultz when he returns.

I feel like if Rust figures out his ****, you don't need to touch the top-9 forwards. You have multiple ways of setting up the forwards well if you have Rust playing well and Sullivan willing to play him on both LW and RW. The problem is that those are 2 huge ifs. If he can't figure his stuff out, I think you need to add what Rust is supposed to be.

I agree with you entirely on the defense, btw. I'm completely fine with letting Pettersson and Riikola battle it out for the bottom pair D spot with Johnson and upgrading on LD. I think targeting Edler may be a worthwhile move, you don't need a super long term LD option because both Pettersson and Riikola should be ready for full time roles next year. So for this year, end up with something like:

Dumoulin-Letang
Edler-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson or Johnson-Riikola

And next year go with something like:

Dumoulin-Letang
Riikola-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson

You can also try to re-sign Edler and move Schultz or Johnson.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is a public service announcement.

RWs who have more points than Kessel since '16-'17: Kucherov, Wheeler, and Kane.

Kane has 1 more point over that span in 1 more game. Their average combined cap hit is about 9.5 mil per. Phil's is 6.8.

That is all.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
When healthy, I want to see them running with this with Crosby-Kessel:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kessel
Pearson-Malkin-Rust
Simon-Brassard-Hornqvist

and this when they're not running with Crosby-Kessel:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-Brassard-Kessel

This seems like the best way to set up the lineup, IMO. What you may need to find is an upgrade on Rust, someone who can play both RW and LW and fits both what a Brassard-Kessel and a Malkin-Pearson duo needs. Rust is exactly that if he would be playing well, which makes it frustrating to see him struggle.

I feel like if Rust figures out his ****, you don't need to touch the top-9 forwards. You have multiple ways of setting up the forwards well if you have Rust playing well and Sullivan willing to play him on both LW and RW. The problem is that those are 2 huge ifs. If he can't figure his stuff out, I think you need to add what Rust is supposed to be.

I agree with you entirely on the defense, btw. I'm completely fine with letting Pettersson and Riikola battle it out for the bottom pair D spot with Johnson and upgrading on LD. I think targeting Edler may be a worthwhile move, you don't need a super long term LD option because both Pettersson and Riikola should be ready for full time roles next year. So for this year, end up with something like:

Dumoulin-Letang
Edler-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson or Johnson-Riikola

And next year go with something like:

Dumoulin-Letang
Riikola-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson

You can also try to re-sign Edler and move Schultz or Johnson.

I think you need a RW from outside the organization to properly leverage Pearson-Geno.

You also need a LW from outside the organization to properly leverage Geno-Horny.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

RWs who have more points than Kessel since '16-'17: Kucherov, Wheeler, and Kane.

Kane has 1 more point over that span in 1 more game. Each of the 3 has a cap hit of 8.25 mil or more.

That is all.

RW's who have more eaten hot dogs than Kessel since '16-17:

That is all.

:razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad