Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I imagine if we are in a wild card we are playing Toronto or Tampa who I think would be a hard team for us to win against.

I also said if we get something in the 16 range we could trade up.

Fair enough.

I think with the right addition on the blueline and subtraction of our clear problems there we're close.

Now, Murray regaining his form would be massive and I love the guy. Want him to get that magic back. DeSmith is providing high end net minding but he's never done it in crunch time. So that's the ultimate wildcard.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Fair enough.

I think with the right addition on the blueline and subtraction of our clear problems there we're close.

Now, Murray regaining his form would be massive and I love the guy. Want him to get that magic back. DeSmith is providing high end net minding but he's never done it in crunch time. So that's the ultimate wildcard.

I honesty think JR targets Edler in a similar Hainsey move giving up his 1st + if Edler is willing to waive.

I have no faith in this management keeping our 1st.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why couldnt Rutta been on waivers today instead. Im pretty sure best case with Letang is a few weeks. Maybe around the new years.

Would that have changed too much? Riikola has been playing RD for most of the season when he's in.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
As long as he's sending a D out the other way, honestly I'm not that worried.

None of our D (outside of the ones we DON'T want to trade) have the kind of value to bring in a replacement for Letang, though. I'm all for moving Maatta, but you're probably not getting anything more than a similar type of flawed defenseman in return (Patteryn, Lovejoy, Schlemko, etc.). Those types can't replace Letang. So JR would have to really add pieces to make it happen. And I'm worried what those pieces would be.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
The Pens really need a Daley type or two on defense and to move out 2 of 3 of Maatta, Johnson, and Oleksiak.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I’m not trading our 1st because we could easily get someone that can step in next year if we have something in the 16th range and trade up

Not likely.
2018 - Of the 2018 draft, only 6 players played in the NHL this season - 2 of which are not currently in the NHL. The 4 that are still there were the top 5 picks.
2017 - 19 of the 2017 1st rounders have not yet played in the NHL or made their NHL roster as regulars.
2016 - 16 of the 2016 1st rounders have not yet played in the NHL or made their NHL roster as regulars.

Realistically it's going to take at LEAST 3 seasons before that pick is playing regularly, and even then there's no guarantee that they'll be an impact player.

*Edited the 2018 numbers.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Not likely.
2018 - Of the 2018 draft, only 7 players played in the NHL this season - 2 of which are not currently in the NHL. The 5 that are still there were the top 5 picks.
2017 - 19 of the 2017 1st rounders have not yet played in the NHL or made their NHL roster as regulars.
2016 - 16 of the 2016 1st rounders have not yet played in the NHL or made their NHL roster as regulars.

Realistically it's going to take at LEAST 3 seasons before that pick is playing regularly, and even then there's no guarantee that they'll be an impact player.

Can you redo the numbers only showing top ten picks?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
None of our D (outside of the ones we DON'T want to trade) have the kind of value to bring in a replacement for Letang, though. I'm all for moving Maatta, but you're probably not getting anything more than a similar type of flawed defenseman in return (Patteryn, Lovejoy, Schlemko, etc.). Those types can't replace Letang. So JR would have to really add pieces to make it happen. And I'm worried what those pieces would be.

I don't think for a second that that's where Maatta's value lies. JR might add pieces, but Maatta alone holds a lore more value then what you're suggesting.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Can you redo the numbers only showing top ten picks?

2016 - 2 of the top 10 picks have not established themselves as full time NHLers
2017 - 3 of the top 10 picks have not established themselves as full time NHLers
2018 - 6 of the top 10 picks have not established themselves as full time NHLers

So out of 30 top 10 picks over 3 drafts, more than 1/3rd have still not established themselves as NHLer's or managed to make their roster in a regular role.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not saying I want to trade Guentzel! He's my favourite player on the team and I think his chemistry with Sid makes him worth more to us than anyone else.

I'm just saying Guentzel actual trade value is not anywhere near Parayko, even recognizing that the Blues have no organizational need for a top six LW.

Maybe. I struggle to judge trade values at the top so maybe you're right But his trade value is a lot higher than the 48 point season.

They should probably look to trade Jarry and re-sign DeSmith. Jarry doesn't really have a future here, with the sudden emergence of DeSmith as a legitimate backup and Murray being around for the next few years. I'm just concerned what it's going to cost to re-sign DeSmith, I could easily see him going after the Darling contract to be a starter.

Re-sign DeSmith and trade Jarry you mean, with apologies for being pedantic. I really doubt DeSmith's going to try the Darling route off of one good season (or that he'd get it), but Jarry sticks until we've got next season's goaltending sorted at least.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
2016 - 2 of the top 10 picks have not established themselves as full time NHLers
2017 - 3 of the top 10 picks have not established themselves as full time NHLers
2018 - 6 of the top 10 picks have not established themselves as full time NHLers

So out of 30 top 10 picks over 3 drafts, more than 1/3rd have still not established themselves as NHLer's or managed to make their roster in a regular role.

I think it’s worth the risk. Especially as the game continues to get younger.

Not to mention if you get a legitimate top six winger (sick burn) or top four d that helps you lessen the coming cap crunch. Although unless Murray wins a Vezina or another cup in the next two years, I think he solved that himself.

Last edited:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
They should probably look to trade Jarry and re-sign DeSmith. Jarry doesn't really have a future here, with the sudden emergence of DeSmith as a legitimate backup and Murray being around for the next few years. I'm just concerned what it's going to cost to re-sign DeSmith, I could easily see him going after the Darling contract to be a starter.
with the possibility that Murray's problems might be due to the change in pad size. I wouldn't be in any hurry to move a goalie, imo

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think it’s worth the risk. Especially as the game continues to get younger.

Not to mention if you get a legitimate top six winger (sick burn) or top four d that helps you lessen the coming cap crunch. Although unless Murray wins a Vezina or another cup in the next two years, I think he solved that himself.

I'm positive that if JR moves our first he will lottery protect it anyways. No way he'll gamble leaving it unprotected that way when we're having trouble holding down a playoff spot.

The only way I can see that changing is if we go on a huge run before the TDL and are like 8-10 points up on teams out of the playoffs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm positive that if JR moves our first he will lottery protect it anyways. No way he'll gamble leaving it unprotected that way when we're having trouble holding down a playoff spot.

The only way I can see that changing is if we go on a huge run before the TDL and are like 8-10 points up on teams out of the playoffs.

But, what I’m saying is at the draft if you have 16 overall maybe someone at 7 or 8 bites for flipping that 1st and Maatta giving you cap and a potential elite player.

For reference, say a Horvat type.

That’d be huge for making us a Sharks like older team versus an LA.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If Letang is out, even if he isn't, but especially if he is, we absolutely should not trade our 1st! Don't do it!

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
But, what I’m saying is at the draft if you have 16 overall maybe someone at 7 or 8 bites for flipping that 1st and Maatta giving you cap and a potential elite player.

For reference, say a Horvat type.

That’d be huge for making us a Sharks like older team versus an LA.

The sharks only have two young forwards making impacts. Hertl and Mier. And while Mier has been fantastic I wouldn’t call hertl an elite player.

Meanwhile they have no cups in that time vs LAs two.

I don’t think the sharks are a great example. It’s not like the sharks have a bunch of young guns making impact.

I’m not saying the pens should throw the first away. I just think expectations of drafting a player should be tempered.

Reactions: Riptide

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

Even if you protect a first round pick this year and you miss the playoffs it will turn into an unprotected first round pick in 2020.

Would you want to give up an unprotected 2020 first round pick?

Don't you think its more likely the Pens just keep on getting worse because of their core being over 30 and having no young impact players coming?

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This forward group is more than good enough to contend for a cup. Swapping Brassard out for a better fit for 3C and maybe some additional depth on LW is all we could possibly use there.

And with DeSmith more than holding his own and Murray less than a year removed from being in contention for the best goalie in the league, I think we're good there for now until proven otherwise in the playoffs.

It's been said all year. Rutherford has to fix his mess on defense. I'd trade our 1st for a solution there who has several years of good hockey in him. That's more likely to give us another Cup than holding onto our 1st and hoping said player can make an impact in the next few years. And there's very little chance of that player filling our most dire need of PMD because they take years to develop.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The usage of Riikola reminds me so much of Bylsma/Shero era that I can't help but laugh out of disbelief at this point.

Why do euro players even bother signing with us as free agents?

It's such bad luck, like Bengtsson got some old timey disease even being associated with us and Riikola is literally wondering why the f*** he was even signed to begin with at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad