Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | All Your Base Are Belong to Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
To no small extent because they've refused to learn the lessons from who he was here. Bonino in a top 6 style role here was a productive player. Bonino in a bottom 6 style role with bad zone starts was defensively decent (and often very good) but mediocre for production. It was very Jekyll and Hyde.

You wash your mouth out.

Hornqvist is a rarer player type (elite net presences are very rare), more important to the power play, a better 5v5 player (only 2-3 points behind this season while adding a lot more) and stronger in terms of raising team intensity.

He is currently our most difficult to replace wing for next season.

*shrugs* Sheahan performed as well as anybody else we've had recently in a hard defensive 3C role so I'm okay with that. If you have to spend more and shave it off the wings, then okay, sure. But the difference between a 4m 3C and a 2m 3C isn't likely to be that big that I would. Only time it might be is if/when Sid/Geno go down.

More like 20 ish points when buried in the Dzone than 30 ish. If it had been 30 ish I think he'd still be here. He put up a bunch of points when in the top 6.

Similar to how Cullen's pace in 16-17 on the 4th line was 22 points and his pace when away from it was 51.

Bonino produced at a 27 pt pace in the 2017 playoffs. Currently producing at a 35 point pace playing insane zone starts in Nash (granted Turris went down.)

Bonino is relatively consistent no matter his role. And should honestly be the archetype of player we are replacing Brassard with.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Bonino produced at a 27 pt pace in the 2017 playoffs. Currently producing at a 35 point pace playing insane zone starts in Nash (granted Turris went down.)

Bonino is relatively consistent no matter his role. And should honestly be the archetype of player we are replacing Brassard with.

Ehh... yeah, he did that in the playoffs, and that's a fair point, but he didn't during the regular season and that was an issue. And certainly means I can't agree with you about consistency.

Wouldn't say no to another player like him though.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
GMJR moves Brassard and a D man. Not sure he moves Olli right now. But certainly someone has to go. Ruhwedel traded for a 6th doesn't create the cap room. Oleksiak seems to be the guy but his size and physical play is still valuable. Actually the Pens get Horny and Reese back and Schultz is back to or close to 100% by March that should be enough for a playoff run. Still have Blueger at center and one of Angelo, Lafferty for RH Wings for options. In any event, Riikola has to play and get needed experience if he is the D man that replaces Olli next year.

I agree that unless Maata completely craters, he's with the Pens until at least the summer. JR is going to give him every opportunity to work through this

Ironically the recent trade for Blandisi may hasten the departure of Olek as he increases the "toughness factor". Not saying I agree with their philosophy, just trying to understand it

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ehh... yeah, he did that in the playoffs, and that's a fair point, but he didn't during the regular season and that was an issue. And certainly means I can't agree with you about consistency.

Wouldn't say no to another player like him though.

What regular season are you talking about? In 16-17 when I believe we were pretty healthy Bones put up 37 points.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
You can't pay everyone 4 million. Pens need to have young, hungry and cheap players to offset the generous contracts GMJR has done. I do think Jake was fair but still 6 million is a bunch. Rust was slightly overpaid but not a big issue. Horny has the health risk and I have posted from the day of Olli's extension that that was a big mistake. Love the kid but just way to early. Pens have some serious reloading this off season no matter how this year goes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You can't pay everyone 4 million. Pens need to have young, hungry and cheap players to offset the generous contracts GMJR has done. I do think Jake was fair but still 6 million is a bunch. Rust was slightly overpaid but not a big issue. Horny has the health risk and I have posted from the day of Olli's extension that that was a big mistake. Love the kid but just way to early. Pens have some serious reloading this off season no matter how this year goes.

Obviously you haven’t look at the Tampa Bay Lightning’s salary structure.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just thinking out loud, I wonder if you could see some sort of trade like this:

Penguins get Jarnkrok
Blue Jackets get Brassard
Predators get Bjorkstrand

Just a trade along these lines, where Brassard goes to Columbus, a skilled winger that the BJs have goes to Nashville and one of Nashville's cheap centers goes to Pittsburgh. Nashville does seem to lack talent on the wings somewhat, so I wonder if something like this is doable.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What regular season are you talking about? In 16-17 when I believe we were pretty healthy Bones put up 37 points.

Malkin missed most of the stretch post-deadline that season which is when Bonino started putting up his ES points. Cba to grab the numbers right now but, going from memory from the arguments we had that summer, it was low 20s up until March then after that Malkin misses most of the games and all of a sudden Bonino has a 40 point pace.

Also those 37 points contain 11 PP points, most of which happened after that period when he and Streit went on a tear for some reason. Which was nice and timely.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Tampa is not the model here as timing is just favorable for the Bolts. They have some hard decisions after this year with contracts. Pens really don't have contract issues that will hamper GMJR. Plus the Stevey the GM will be gone probably to Detroit in July. Kinda wonder who leaves that for the mess in Detroit.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Malkin missed most of the stretch post-deadline that season which is when Bonino started putting up his ES points. Cba to grab the numbers right now but, going from memory from the arguments we had that summer, it was low 20s up until March then after that Malkin misses most of the games and all of a sudden Bonino has a 40 point pace.

Also those 37 points contain 11 PP points, most of which happened after that period when he and Streit went on a tear for some reason. Which was nice and timely.

I mean, I never got this argument because obviously 3Cs here are also used vastly different.

Nobody ever uses this against Staal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Tampa is not the model here as timing is just favorable for the Bolts. They have some hard decisions after this year with contracts. Pens really don't have contract issues that will hamper GMJR. Plus the Stevey the GM will be gone probably to Detroit in July. Kinda wonder who leaves that for the mess in Detroit.

I’m just saying the Tampa model is basically ours. Sign the core, and bring in other players that are valuable and sign them to relatively easily moveable deals.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, I never got this argument because obviously 3Cs here are also used vastly different.

Nobody ever uses this against Staal.

Only because I wasn't around for Staal :P

Seriously though. I don't want to damn him for this or say he was poop or that I don't want any more Boninos. But there was a discernible split in how he performed in different roles, and I can't agree with saying he was consistent when that was the case. And I also think its pretty likely that if he'd been more consistent, Rutherford would have been more interested.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have 6 D men to go next year. Tampa has 2 signed. Plus they need to sign the young winger Point as well. If he is 5 or 6, that won't leave much for the D. But they are in great shape for sure this year. As I said, hard to pay everyone. The young D man from the Habs trade also is a RFA and who knows what that will be. Like Toronto, to many RFA studs is a nice problem to have but it is a cap problem. Pens were a dynasty after 2009 and didn't win a cup for 7 years. Just hard in a cap world to win multiple cups.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Just thinking out loud, I wonder if you could see some sort of trade like this:

Penguins get Jarnkrok
Blue Jackets get Brassard
Predators get Bjorkstrand

Just a trade along these lines, where Brassard goes to Columbus, a skilled winger that the BJs have goes to Nashville and one of Nashville's cheap centers goes to Pittsburgh. Nashville does seem to lack talent on the wings somewhat, so I wonder if something like this is doable.

Poile hangs up immediately.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Seriously though. I don't want to damn him for this or say he was poop or that I don't want any more Boninos. But there was a discernible split in how he performed in different roles, and I can't agree with saying he was consistent when that was the case. And I also think its pretty likely that if he'd been more consistent, Rutherford would have been more interested.

But, what other team is using a 3C behind Geno and Sid?

People want to fault Bonino for his production then act like someone like Faksa or Eller is killing it.

Kadri is the only one I see that has ridiculous stats playing behind the talent he has and that is because Matthews went down. And he has 18 games without a goal just like Bonino used to. And is also used as a wing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Hanks

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Why? Bjorkstrand is having a mediocre year this year, but he had 40 points last year and is only 23. They're getting a middle-6 forward with top-6 potential for a 3C that they have like 4 of.

Hmm, guess I underestimated Bjorkstrand. But that seems too good to be true for us in some way.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Rutherford was gunning after Duchene at that point too and Nashville gave him a decent sized contract as well. Also saying Bonino was inconsistent is kind of misleading if you are using that against him. All 3rd liners have some sort of consistency issues. That's why they play in the bottom 6 and not in the top 6. His last season here he had points in 38% of his games which I think would stack up really well compared to other 3C's.

Bonino could play a role with heavy D zone starts and do well. He could also play with skilled players. Step up into a 2C role if there were injuries. Play on the PK and PP2. Was smart offensively and went to the net hard. In the playoffs you could never question his effort and he'd put his body on the line to win. He was going at a 38 point pace both regular seasons. Had one of the best 3C performances in the playoffs that I've seen the first year and in the 2nd cup run produced at a good rate given his deployment (and our game plan).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rutherford was gunning after Duchene at that point too and Nashville gave him a decent sized contract as well. Also saying Bonino was inconsistent is kind of misleading if you are using that against him. All 3rd liners have some sort of consistency issues. That's why they play in the bottom 6 and not in the top 6. His last season here he had points in 38% of his games which I think would stack up really well compared to other 3C's.

Bonino could play a role with heavy D zone starts and do well. He could also play with skilled players. Step up into a 2C role if there were injuries. Play on the PK and PP2. Was smart offensively and went to the net hard. In the playoffs you could never question his effort and he'd put his body on the line to win. He was going at a 38 point pace both regular seasons. Had one of the best 3C performances in the playoffs that I've seen the first year and in the 2nd cup run produced at a good rate given his deployment (and our game plan).

It's right there. I don't want to damn him. I'm not holding anything for or against him - just stating he wasn't consistent in my view.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's right there. I don't want to damn him. I'm not holding anything for or against him - just stating he wasn't consistent in my view.

That's why he plays on the 3rd line though. That's the major reason players on the 3rd line play there. Any 3C we bring in will have some consistency issues that's why I was confused at bringing that up.

Maybe I went on a bit of a rant :laugh: not at you but because I see quite a few posts really dismissing Bonino because of HBK when outside of that he was still good and if we got got someone who could produce, play D, play with skilled players and also contribute to the PK and PP2 as well as he did in 2016/17 we'd be jacked.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m not in Pittsburgh but someone on the post-gazette website was saying they heard on the radio there that Brass to CLB for Dubinsky was a done deal...is that right? Good lord I hope not....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad