Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster building: "All of your Pittsburgh born players belong to us"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Spurgeon is easily more valuable than Kessel.

And who cares about a 1st round pick.

Imagine having two #1Ds on our blue line?

Losing Kessel is really a postive at this point. And to get a #1 D back for him...this team would be leaps and bounds better.

Not when Spurgeon's an impending UFA and Kessel's an elite winger with term. When have you ever seen a return like that on a guy who's gonna be a free agent in a year? AFAIK there's no precedent for it.

And we should care about a 1st round pick.

We ought to target Spurgeon heavily, but prepare to be shocked if you think he'll get that sort of haul.

Reactions: Riptide

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Not when Spurgeon's an impending UFA and Kessel's an elite winger with term. When have you ever seen a return like that on a guy who's gonna be a free agent in a year? AFAIK there's no precedent for it.

And we should care about a 1st round pick.

We ought to target Spurgeon heavily, but prepare to be shocked if you think he'll get that sort of haul.

I’m not saying I’d do this trade, (I might) but I guarantee you nobody else in the league views a 32 year old Kessel as “an elite winger with term”.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Can't believe people actually think trading malkin for Trocheck and some useless 1st and a unknown prospect is a good idea. Lmao.

You only make that move if Malkin forces his way out.

You're mental if you willingly take that deal.

Would you trade Crosby for that???

The only way Malkin can be traded is if he forces his way out, since he has a full NTC. So wouldn't it make sense that every proposal is based on him wanting out?

Reactions: Extra Texture

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I’m not saying I’d do this trade, (I might) but I guarantee you nobody else in the league views a 32 year old Kessel as “an elite winger with term”.

Why not? He just had the two best seasons of production he's ever had.

This board underrates everything Penguins related and overrates many players on other teams.

Reactions: Son Goku

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think everyone knows what Kessel is. He isnt any different than he was before we traded for him.

PPG production with his contract = excellent value

Yes he is. He’s less of a shooter and he’s 4 years older. Also thinner.

Reactions: Corvidae

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If you were to entertain keeping Phil(or that Sid, G, Phil, Tanger group), your most likely path to transforming the forwards and D right quick like is gutting big time cash and conserving assets(picks mainly).

You'd have to sell some big tickets so Horny, Rust, Olli, Schultz or Bjugs. Deal with the JJ mess and sell off Guds too.

How did SJ acquire Kane, Karlsson and Nyquist within a year?
They had the cap space and the assets(mainly picks).
No prospect in any of their deals was super grade A but they had the 1st's and 2nd's.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
The window is nearly closed.

If the Penguins had any sort of long term vision, they would start selling (Malkin, Letang, Kessel) now while these guys are worth something as opposed to becoming Chicago and watching your core wither away surrounded by turds.

This roster is beyond f***ed, and I say that without emotion - it’s pure fact. There is no “Kessel deal” that will return this team to glory. There are no more Rusts, Sheary’s in the pipeline.

They need to gut half of the D group, they arguably need a 1b goalie, and the forward group has no chemistry outside of Crosby and Guenztel.

The coach is dense as hell too.

We’ve seen this story before. We are currently watching it play out in Chicago and Los Angeles. Accept where we are, and make sweeping changes to get younger, faster, and start the process of setting this team up for an older Crosby, and ultimately life after Crosby. The “All in for Sid” M.O was good for three cups... but continuing with that mindset at this point is setting the franchise up for failure long term...

Should we continue trying to squeeze water from a rock - we’ll hit the dark ages again and then there will be 10k people in the seats every night, half of which are Duquesne and Pitt students who got a discount on tickets.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why not? He just had the two best seasons of production he's ever had.

This board underrates everything Penguins related
and overrates many players on other teams.

I highly doubt that's the case when it comes to Kessel. Unless you're talking about how much we'll miss certain aspects of his game. But trade wise? I don't think we're "underrating" his value as other teams see him. We'll get something decent in return, but it will be far less then what we paid for him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Can't believe people actually think trading malkin for Trocheck and some useless 1st and a unknown prospect is a good idea. Lmao.

You only make that move if Malkin forces his way out.

You're mental if you willingly take that deal.

Would you trade Crosby for that???

Because Malkin is 33...that's ancient in the NHL. Traditionally, guys after 33 have a massive, MASSIVE decline to the point you even wonder if they can tie their skates. He's Russian and everyone is sick of his shit. He also costs $9.5 mil a year. That's incredibly expensive for an ancient center who is on a steep decline. Think about all the others non Russian, non over 30, non declining players we could get with that! That's almost 2 Rusts and a Jack Johnson! Who wouldn't want to move Malkin?

See how easy it is to play either side? Typing garbage and adding a "lmao" doesn't give your post credibility or truth.

A capable, young, cost controlled 2C, and two ELC blue chip prospects would be a fine return if Malkin wanted out.

Why exactly is Carolina trading Hamilton?

And if they are why is Toronto who wants a RD not making that move?

Jesus, reading is hard isn't it?

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I’m reading a lot of “every GM thinks this” and “no GM thinks that”. If I posted a CapFriendly roster and was 100% correct in predicting all the trades, that roster would get laughed at and scrutinized heavily amongst fans as “unrealistic”. There is no consistent or even rational talent evaluation in this league and, as I keep saying, when you’re not trying to sell 10,000 units of the same product, you’re trading 1 unique asset and it only takes 1 buyer who thinks a certain way about said asset.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Sign Karlsson 10.5, Pettersson 2.5, Riikola for todays, Kessel for Ekholm and out with the usual suspects.

Dumoulin-Letang
Ekholm-Karlsson
Pettersson-Schultz
Riikola
Ruhwedel

That blueline is only 5m more expensive than current. Get rid of Schultz and replace with Riikola/Ruhwedel and it's cheaper...

Oh what things could be done with all that money currently invested in the blueline...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Couple things; We're not trading Phil because of his production, but because of multiple other factors (age, temperament, effectiveness at ES/without the puck, bad fit for our top-9). He will be traded though, I'm almost certain of it. Probably could've/should've happened after the Caps series last spring. Secondly, all the hypothetical discussion around Geno is just that, hypothetical, and it's assuming the team is open to trading him and Geno is willing to waive. I don't think anyone on here wants Geno moved, or is trying to rush him out of town. The big issue is that JR may not be on that same page, same with Mario.

Also:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Couple things; We're not trading Phil because of his production, but because of multiple other factors (age, temperament, effectiveness at ES/without the puck, bad fit for our top-9). He will be traded though, I'm almost certain of it. Probably could've/should've happened after the Caps series last spring.

I was calling for it to happen after the Caps series the most loudly here. Sometimes you need to be proactive and identify problems at certain time. It´s not too late for Phil to go, he could´ve go last year but I feel like this is still fine with him. Same with Hornqvist. The problem comes if we wait with them for too long.

As for Kessel. This team needs to be harder to play against. It was painful how soft and careless they were vs the Islanders and throughout the regular season as well. Phil is one of the main protagonists of this BS. This team absolutely needs some fresh concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad