Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster building: "All of your Pittsburgh born players belong to us"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This list is terrible. The bottom three are Pittsburgh, Winnipeg and Columbus. This might be the worst list I've ever seen.

I think there’s a little bit of “these teams are either in cap hell or are losing all their players” and so they stuck all three at the bottom...I’m not sure the criteria he uses accounts for being that low, but whatever...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think there’s a little bit of “these teams are either in cap hell or are losing all their players” and so they stuck all three at the bottom...I’m not sure the criteria he uses accounts for being that low, but whatever...

The list is honestly terrible. Having Edmonton over any of CBJ, Pitt, Florida, or Winnipeg is just dumb.

The fact they are 12th is just hilarious.

I guess judging by his criteria it makes sense.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

I don't know what criteria he's using. The bottom three teams made the playoffs and did not include Ottawa. They all have good ownership and good players, even when considering who is leaving those teams. I just have no idea what this guy is thinking.

We know what the Pens have. Even though the roster as a whole sucks, we are in a much better position than much of the league given the talent on the team.

Winnipeg is still stacked at F, but will lose Trouba.

Columbus just had the best postseason in the history of their team and rejuvenated a fanbase. They probably just made more money than they ever have in the history of their franchise. Sure, they're losing Bob and Bread, but I think they'll sign Duchene. They also still have a really good defense, starting with a top 10D in Jones.

He has Anaheim at 4, LA Kings at 10, and Edmonton at 12. Ottawa is ahead of five teams, and all of them are in much better position on the ice and financially.

EDIT: Maybe he values the AHL more than the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There's no way you'd pull that off for Malkin.

I tend to agree...but then I look at Florida's roster. They are primed for a three year window if they load up. Their core and their intended free agency targets, are all in that age group where good things can happen. Load up on free agents and bring in one hell of a fish in Malkin...maybe. Would make them a true contender and would bring in the fans more than Trocheck would.

I don't see it happening...but I think there are several factors in play that make it more of a "maybe". Not likely, but not impossible. I'd personally want Tippett over Heponiemi...if they would do that. Maybe we add Simon or retain a mil on Malkin.

What's the criteria? Seems like it's half "how are they doing in the playoffs", half "how are their AHL teams doing in the playoffs", half "how are two or three of their prospects doing in the juniors", and half "how many draft picks do they have". You're telling me the Montreal Canadians are somehow better off than the Penguins because they have Nick Suzuki? Or that the Canucks are better off because of injured Mikey DiPietro? Or that Ottawa is better off because of Parker f***ing Kelley (yeah, go ahead and say "ummm, who?"? THOSE teams...are better off than a team that has Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Matt Murray, and Jake Guentzel?

Look, if you want to be down because we got sweep, I get it. If you want to read articles like these and self-punish yourself in some sick masochistic fetish...be my guest but quit polluting this board with it.

My god. Have some respect for yourselves. I cringe at the thought of another team's fans coming in and reading what you guys are posting. What a joke half of you are making this board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob and 3074326

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I love Picard gifs.

giphy.gif

Reactions: billybudd

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I also heard about Malkin's struggles this past season, which may lead to a possible trade, despite him scoring 72 points (21 goals & 51 assists). So, what's the value of a 32 year old center coming off a questionable season? However, the only problem is his no-trade/movement clause.

Florida Interested in Evgeni Malkin; Trade Rumors are Real

Hell is people posting the same C-level Pittsburgh sports "media" articles over and over.

I must have been Pol Pot in a previous life.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
Aw, a logical inference that the American "everyman's" game doesn't get the stamp of approval from the best player of his generation hurt someone's feewings.

Sorry.
It seems that it was your feelings that were hurt judging from the defensive response. Just get back to me when you have something other than baseless speculation on a player you consistently degrade. Also is Sid a mustard or ketchup guy? I know you know his preferences...don’t keep me in the dark man.

LittleSpoon

Jan 17, 2016
Except that there's more to the game then just your team scoring.
1) You also need to prevent the other team from scoring.
2) You can create energy with physical play and get the other team's players off their game and also looking over their shoulders.
3) You can create turnovers that could lead to offensive chances for yourself or your linemates with a good forecheck

I'm sure someone else who's not as tired could come up with more - but of those 3 pretty big ones, Kessel only does #1 when he feels like it, and even then is usually only average at best, and while he does do #3, it's usually only when he's on his game (at which point we're also usually seeing the offense). We rarely see that out of him when he's off his game.

I mean look at the difference between prime Neal vs prime Hornqvist. Neal was easily more skilled, but we were absolutely the better team with Hornqvist who provides a lot even when not scoring (although we didn't see much of that after his Jan 8th injury).

Sorry, but "not giving 100% effort every game" is the exact definition of lazy. It doesn't matter if it's defensive effort or just in general, they're the same thing. You're either giving it your all, or you're coasting, and Kessel coasts a LOT.
Those other facets are what you surround a elite offensive talent with. Not expect him to do it all. He wouldn’t be making what he is if he was Crosby or Bergeron. He’s an important piece of the puzzle, that when put with other pieces correctly, forms the big picture. You can view him as lazy and that’s your perspective. I view him as frustrated at times and generally not good at zone defense. I still see the value of a player that does what he does and pretty consistently at that. 82pts with a bad plus minus on a team that everyone complains about the defense. To me I think he does what he’s supposed to do for the most part, and is just the latest scapegoat among many others.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Almari signed officially. Should be a nice addition to WBS, I think he has NHL shutdown D potential.

He's a guy I've liked for a while. Under the radar type, like Blueger.

He is a fairly good skater and smart positional Dman.

I think he has Pettersson like potential.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Anyone else seeing Hornqvist and Petersson playing together?

Maybe there's a VanCan 2nd and cap space there.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Taking this with one singular grain of salt cause there isn’t any proof but figured I’d throw it out there just shits and gigs cause of the recent tweets and whatnot.

A poster on the Pens Reddit with over 16k Karma just said Letang put his house on the market on May 9th. His parents are realtors in the Pittsburgh area.

Could just be getting a new home, could not even be true. But interesting to think about IF true.

Edit: here’s the supposed listing

Listed by Letang/LeFlamme but the guy says it’s only viewable who it’s listed by by something called the MLS which only realtors can access. Sounds ehhhhh to me. Not much support unless someone knows

(the link used to be here, but it doesn’t mention Letang at all anywhere on it. The link autocorrected to show the whole address which I feel is against a rule so I deleted it.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Without a listing, I'd assume it's not real. Bob put his place up for sale and the listing was immediately found and circulated.

Bob has a movie theatre, gym and whirlpool room in his condo.

I should've tried to get better at hockey.

Reactions: Trade

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012
Those other facets are what you surround a elite offensive talent with. Not expect him to do it all. He wouldn’t be making what he is if he was Crosby or Bergeron. He’s an important piece of the puzzle, that when put with other pieces correctly, forms the big picture. You can view him as lazy and that’s your perspective. I view him as frustrated at times and generally not good at zone defense. I still see the value of a player that does what he does and pretty consistently at that. 82pts with a bad plus minus on a team that everyone complains about the defense. To me I think he does what he’s supposed to do for the most part, and is just the latest scapegoat among many others.

Great post fella.

Reactions: LittleSpoon

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’m calling it...JR trades Maatta and Kessel and then signs Simmonds and McQuaid in FA.. .press conference: “I thought we didn’t have enough players with pushback who play the right way and make us harder to play against. I know why they were scratched or didn’t play a large role in the POs, and it’s not because of their play!”

You're stealing my ideas I've already proposed!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Is Zucc even leaving Dallas? Why wouldn’t they re-sign him?

They absolutely should. They need him and they spent a f*** ton on him. Imagine where'd they be if he had scored in 2nd OT and got Dallas to the WCF. 2 1sts to NYR. Ouch.

:laugh: Buddy, you're absolutely out of your mind if you think there's some hidden gem potential in Michael Ferland that makes him a suitable replacement for the production we're losing when we trade Phil Kessel. Ferland isn't suddenly producing double his career average next to an aging and bettered Evgeni Malkin and Bryan Rust or Jared McCann. Simple as that. If we disagree, we disagree, but holy Hell, I can't even begin to approach that wavelength.

You can't base future success on past "point in point out" assessments. Replacing Kessel's 80pts with Ferland's 40pts doesn't magically mean there will be 40 less goals and a decrease in wins.

Since you are apparently so high on stats, I feel like a good movie for you to watch is Moneyball. Especially this scene:

Read more, listen more, learn more, speak less.

Spurgeon is very good and a #1D. Kessel+1st for Him please.

Spurgeon is good but not Kessel+1st good. Take a step back there turbo.

Anyone else seeing Hornqvist and Petersson playing together?

Maybe there's a VanCan 2nd and cap space there.

That's actually an interesting possibility. They are right up against the 50 contracts mark so I imagine we'd have to take someone back. That said, they do have a bunch of RFAs to resign that will be getting paid. Boeser-Petersson-Hornqvist would be a hell of a line. They wanted that physical player too ala signing Roussel and being after Lucic.

Not sure what we ask for back though.

Because I want to watch the world burn and you guys are so easy to trigger: Hornqvis+Johnson for Loui Eriksson

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
Taking this with one singular grain of salt cause there isn’t any proof but figured I’d throw it out there just ****s and gigs cause of the recent tweets and whatnot.

A poster on the Pens Reddit with over 16k Karma just said Letang put his house on the market on May 9th. His parents are realtors in the Pittsburgh area.

Could just be getting a new home, could not even be true. But interesting to think about IF true.

Edit: here’s the supposed listing

Listed by Letang/LeFlamme but the guy says it’s only viewable who it’s listed by by something called the MLS which only realtors can access. Sounds ehhhhh to me. Not much support unless someone knows

141 Majestic Dr, Cranberry Twp, PA 16046
That is their old house. They just built a huge new house in that area that was just completed right around Christmas. I know this for a fact because my friend worked on the kitchen install and was there when Letang did a walk through on Nov. 8. He said the new house is unbelievable. Dumoulin also built a house in that same area and my friend also worked on it because they apparently used the same builder.

Reactions: Riptide and Trade

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
They absolutely should. They need him and they spent a **** ton on him. Imagine where'd they be if he had scored in 2nd OT and got Dallas to the WCF. 2 1sts to NYR. Ouch.

You can't base future success on past "point in point out" assessments. Replacing Kessel's 80pts with Ferland's 40pts doesn't magically mean there will be 40 less goals and a decrease in wins.

Since you are apparently so high on stats, I feel like a good movie for you to watch is Moneyball. Especially this scene:

Read more, listen more, learn more, speak less.

Spurgeon is good but not Kessel+1st good. Take a step back there turbo.

That's actually an interesting possibility. They are right up against the 50 contracts mark so I imagine we'd have to take someone back. That said, they do have a bunch of RFAs to resign that will be getting paid. Boeser-Petersson-Hornqvist would be a hell of a line. They wanted that physical player too ala signing Roussel and being after Lucic.

Not sure what we ask for back though.

Because I want to watch the world burn and you guys are so easy to trigger: Hornqvis+Johnson for Loui Eriksson

Spurgeon is easily more valuable than Kessel.

And who cares about a 1st round pick.

Imagine having two #1Ds on our blue line?

Losing Kessel is really a postive at this point. And to get a #1 D back for him...this team would be leaps and bounds better.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Spurgeon is easily more valuable than Kessel.

And who cares about a 1st round pick.

Imagine having two #1Ds on our blue line?

Losing Kessel is really a postive at this point. And to get a #1 D back for him...this team would be leaps and bounds better.

You'd have to move out Schultz if that happened. We need a top 4 LD more than anything.

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad