Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster building: "All of your Pittsburgh born players belong to us"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That is their old house. They just built a huge new house in that area that was just completed right around Christmas. I know this for a fact because my friend worked on the kitchen install and was there when Letang did a walk through on Nov. 8. He said the new house is unbelievable. Dumoulin also built a house in that same area and my friend also worked on it because they apparently used the same builder.

Well that's incredibly less juicy than him listing it because he thinks he may get traded.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Because I want to watch the world burn and you guys are so easy to trigger: Hornqvis+Johnson for Loui Eriksson
I like him but the Pens really need wingers that can get up and go.

I would be happy with a 2nd and them taking the full contract. Goldobin would be nice too.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Vancouver for Hornqvist is an interesting scenario. I won't pretend to know what they want or need, but they have a nice Swedish group of players which could be a good fit for Hornqvist socially, and they should have the cap space to take on his cap hit.

Maybe we could get Pouliot back :naughty:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You'd have to move out Schultz if that happened. We need a top 4 LD more than anything.

I know Spurgeon can play a little bit of both (but obviously you put him on RD no matter what)

Yah..im more than okay getting a much much better RD than Schultz in Spurgeon.

I'd just throw Petts with Spurgeon tbh...thats a solid 2nd pair. Spurge would challenge Letang as the best Dman on this roster..he's that good.

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
Well that's incredibly less juicy than him listing it because he thinks he may get traded.
I would assume the same thing if I didn’t happen to know about the new house. I know at times last year his name was coming up in trade rumors, meanwhile he’s building a big new house here. I would think he was pretty sure he wasn’t going anywhere or he wouldn’t have broken ground on a new house.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
That is their old house. They just built a huge new house in that area that was just completed right around Christmas. I know this for a fact because my friend worked on the kitchen install and was there when Letang did a walk through on Nov. 8. He said the new house is unbelievable. Dumoulin also built a house in that same area and my friend also worked on it because they apparently used the same builder.
Music to my ears. Thank you!

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Spurgeon is easily more valuable than Kessel.

And who cares about a 1st round pick.

Imagine having two #1Ds on our blue line?

Losing Kessel is really a postive at this point. And to get a #1 D back for him...this team would be leaps and bounds better.

This is where we will disagree on nearly every sentence.

Value is relative when comparing Spurgeon vs Kessel. If you're a team like the Hurricanes who are loaded with young dmen, Kessel would be of more value than Spurgeon. Value changes based upon which team you intend to trade with. Too often, HFboards gets locked into this "value in a vacuum" mindset that doesn't always jive with reality. It's what causes to many returns to be disappointing for one side or another.

I care very much about the first round pick. We, not more than ever, need to start collecting young value contracts. Only you and Ryan Wilson appear to disagree.

Yes, in theory having two #1 dmen on the blue line would be nice but I do not see Spurgeon as a #1 dman. I don't think 31 GMs in the league do either. If he was, why would he be available? Why was he the sacrificial lamb on Minnesota?

Kessel out and us being a better team is wholly dependent on the return. I'm not convinced that a 1:1 trade and no other moves makes us a better team. If you're making those trades, it must be part of a larger plan. If you expound on that plan, I'll listen. As of now, I'm out.

I like him but the Pens really need wingers that can get up and go.

I would be happy with a 2nd and them taking the full contract. Goldobin would be nice too.

Depends on what other roster moves they intend to make and who they intend on resigning. A 2nd for a the full contract would be nice. Problem is, you can't replace Horny's value to this team with a 2nd. So again, like I said above, it has to be part of a larger plan to retool.

Reactions: Riptide

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
I went full NHL 19-mode... none of these trades are probably realistic but a fun exercise...

a) Phil Kessel to Arizona for their first round pick (#14) and a random player

b) Evgeni Malkin to Florida for Vincent Trocheck, Owen Tippett and their first round pick (#13)

c) Patric Hornqvist to Vancouver for their second round pick (#40)

d) Olli Maatta to New Jersey for Nashville's second round pick (#55) (a stretch, but thanks Shero)

e) Vancouver's second round pick (#40) and Tristan Jarry to Tampa Bay for JT Miller

f) Jack Johnson sent to the minors

g) Re-sign Blueger, ZAR (or whomever), Pettersson and Riikola

McCann - Crosby - Guentzel
X - Trocheck - Miller
X - Bjugstad - Rust
Simon - Blueger - ZAR (or whomever)

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Schultz
Riikola - Gudbranson

Murray/DeSmith

Depending on whatever you re-sign the players mentioned on g), you have roughly $12-13M in cap space left for two players, plus three first rounders and a second rounder.

I mean, none of the trades will happen, but it entertained me for fifteen minutes and now you'll be dumber for it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Two things:
- before we bring in yet another veteran defenseman, at LEAST two (and probably three for cap/roster purposes) need to go. So that is a lot of maneuvering. Not sure this is the way to go. If we are not trading Letang, then I don't see major changes on defense. If we do decide to trade Letang, then everything is possible. Which one of our defensemen have more value via trade than on the roster? Maatta, and maybe that is all.

- If Phil Kessel is traded, our best offensive winger becomes Jake Guentzel and our second-best offensive winger becomes ______???

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Two things:
- before we bring in yet another veteran defenseman, at LEAST two (and probably three for cap/roster purposes) need to go. So that is a lot of maneuvering. Not sure this is the way to go. If we are not trading Letang, then I don't see major changes on defense. If we do decide to trade Letang, then everything is possible. Which one of our defensemen have more value via trade than on the roster? Maatta, and maybe that is all.

- If Phil Kessel is traded, our best offensive winger becomes Jake Guentzel and our second-best offensive winger becomes ______???

Probably Hornqvist, like when they won in 2016.

I’d assume they’d try to fill that in FA.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
This is where we will disagree on nearly every sentence.

Value is relative when comparing Spurgeon vs Kessel. If you're a team like the Hurricanes who are loaded with young dmen, Kessel would be of more value than Spurgeon. Value changes based upon which team you intend to trade with. Too often, HFboards gets locked into this "value in a vacuum" mindset that doesn't always jive with reality. It's what causes to many returns to be disappointing for one side or another.

I care very much about the first round pick. We, not more than ever, need to start collecting young value contracts. Only you and Ryan Wilson appear to disagree.

Yes, in theory having two #1 dmen on the blue line would be nice but I do not see Spurgeon as a #1 dman. I don't think 31 GMs in the league do either. If he was, why would he be available? Why was he the sacrificial lamb on Minnesota?

Kessel out and us being a better team is wholly dependent on the return. I'm not convinced that a 1:1 trade and no other moves makes us a better team. If you're making those trades, it must be part of a larger plan. If you expound on that plan, I'll listen. As of now, I'm out.

Depends on what other roster moves they intend to make and who they intend on resigning. A 2nd for a the full contract would be nice. Problem is, you can't replace Horny's value to this team with a 2nd. So again, like I said above, it has to be part of a larger plan to retool.

Spurgeon is very very easily a #1Dman.

He's only available because he's a UFA soon.

To trade Kessel for a position of need and for a #1D like Spurgeon makes the pens way better.

Again, don't care for 1st round picks if they can get you a player like spurgeon now. Instead of waiting past the cup window for the player to arrive from said pick.

A pick past #10 is a crap shoot anyway. Picks are overrated. Trade them ANY day for for sure good players. Because picks are gambles on whether you get a good player or not

Every GM in the league views Spurgeon as a #1 Dman.

A guy who plays 24 mins a night and who moves the puck well, PKs and playd solid D? Yah thats a #1. Oh and he's RHD. So yea...every GM wants that guy.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hornqvist for Virtanen Roussel / Beagle and a 2nd would be interesting.

Guentzel - Crosby - Virtanen
Ferland - Malkin - Simon
McCann - Blueger - Rust
Roussel - Bjugstad - ZAR

Virtanen is just ZAR in disguise.

I like Roussel but I'd rather have Hornqvist quite easily....

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I’d move Rust before Hornqvist.

Errr. Wrong move there.

Rust is the better player, PKs, scores more at 5v5 and his production didn't slip massively. And he has the whole speed advantage in this current league.

Also he is cheaper.

So I'd rather keep the cheaper and better player.

And move the worse and more expensive one.

Reactions: Coach Travis

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just thinking out loud, I wonder if JR would try to pull a Hamilton type of trade with Toronto for Kapanen. JR obviously really liked Kapanen, to the point where he was going to trade up to pick #11 to get him in 2014 (as a part of the Neal for Hornqvist trade with Martin also being traded to Colorado), and spoke highly of him even after the trade. If JR wanted to, he could probably get a 1st from Arizona for Kessel and then trade that 1st to Toronto for Kapanen's RFA rights.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Two things:

Whether Kessel gets traded or not...Guentzel is still our best Offensive winger no matter if Kessel is on the roster or not.

Just look at the 5v5 stats.

Guentzel was the much much better winger all year.

Reactions: Peat

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Can't believe people actually think trading malkin for Trocheck and some useless 1st and a unknown prospect is a good idea. Lmao.

You only make that move if Malkin forces his way out.

You're mental if you willingly take that deal.

Would you trade Crosby for that???

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Errr. Wrong move there.

Rust is the better player, PKs, scores more at 5v5 and his production didn't slip massively. And he has the whole speed advantage in this current league.

Also he is cheaper.

So I'd rather keep the cheaper and better player.

And move the worse and more expensive one.

1. The powerplay isn’t useless and Horny is a big part.
2. Rust scores like 3 more ES goals on average.. ok.
3. When Rust slows down he’s going to be ineffective. He already doesn’t look quite as fast as he used to.
4. Hornqvist is generally a better possession player.

You don’t need to get rid of either, but I’d probably rather keep Hornqvist. Horny does one thing better than just about anybody. Rust is more replaceable across the board.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
1. The powerplay isn’t useless and Horny is a big part.
2. Rust scores like 3 more ES goals on average.. ok.
3. When Rust slows down he’s going to be ineffective. He already doesn’t look quite as fast as he used to.
4. Hornqvist is generally a better possession player.

You don’t need to get rid of either, but I’d probably rather keep Hornqvist. Horny does one thing better than just about anybody. Rust is more replaceable across the board.

Rust is cheaper even if you think Hornqvist is harder to replace.

I'd keep the better 5v5 player and the one who is cheaper.

I don't actually think it's that hard to get someone to stand infront of the net on the PP.

And how good was Hornqvist at it this year?? eh...not really all that great.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
Can't believe people actually think trading malkin for Trocheck and some useless 1st and a unknown prospect is a good idea. Lmao.

You only make that move if Malkin forces his way out.

All the talk of trading Malkin, from my side, is based on the assumption that either he wants out or management wants him out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Just thinking out loud, I wonder if JR would try to pull a Hamilton type of trade with Toronto for Kapanen. JR obviously really liked Kapanen, to the point where he was going to trade up to pick #11 to get him in 2014 (as a part of the Neal for Hornqvist trade with Martin also being traded to Colorado), and spoke highly of him even after the trade. If JR wanted to, he could probably get a 1st from Arizona for Kessel and then trade that 1st to Toronto for Kapanen's RFA rights.

Why exactly is Carolina trading Hamilton?

And if they are why is Toronto who wants a RD not making that move?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Those other facets are what you surround a elite offensive talent with. Not expect him to do it all. He wouldn’t be making what he is if he was Crosby or Bergeron. He’s an important piece of the puzzle, that when put with other pieces correctly, forms the big picture. You can view him as lazy and that’s your perspective. I view him as frustrated at times and generally not good at zone defense. I still see the value of a player that does what he does and pretty consistently at that. 82pts with a bad plus minus on a team that everyone complains about the defense. To me I think he does what he’s supposed to do for the most part, and is just the latest scapegoat among many others.

Yes - so what we surround Crosby and Malkin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad