Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster building: "All of your Pittsburgh born players belong to us"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
In all seriousness, I can absolutely see JR moving Phil and replacing him with Ferland and calling it a day at forward. He'll also move Maatta but keep JJ and Gudbranson and call it a day with the blueline too. The fact that this is a very legit potential outcome is gross.

I’m calling it...JR trades Maatta and Kessel and then signs Simmonds and McQuaid in FA.. .press conference: “I thought we didn’t have enough players with pushback who play the right way and make us harder to play against. I know why they were scratched or didn’t play a large role in the POs, and it’s not because of their play!”

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
I’m calling it...JR trades Maatta and Kessel and then signs Simmonds and McQuaid in FA.. .press conference: “I thought we didn’t have enough players with pushback who play the right way and make us harder to play against. I know why they were scratched or didn’t play a large role in the POs, and it’s not because of their play!”
Stop calling shit if it's like an horror flick bro. This said i would have liked Simmonds before last season but we saw how that turned out...;)

--
This is cap hell & it wouldn't had been so if not for last couple of seasons moves folks. Signing JJ for too long when our core doesn't have much more domination left in it(-IF- better lines where following better coach) was a Janis Joplin song talking about a ball & chain.

Signing too many guys for too long when you're going down isn't exactely the right thing to do if you want to steer your ship right with a few very good core guys years left.

JR f***ing us with way too may options left not so long ago.

His moves are now quite limited given a lesser number of good picks and especially... less time to get his shit in order. Let's say Sully gets out, what would the new coach get except unresolved shit? With a massive stress factor going on based on getting cool with core while making them better while JR is going around in circles? Meh.

We're too cash strapped cap wise to get anywhere before our core rots & unless i'm mistaken, signs of it have began to show lately.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Friedman: - "One of the guys I'm hearing things about (trade rumors) is Spurgeon"

giphy.gif

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
When did you talk to him? Could you tell Sid I said hi next time you give him a call?

Aw, a logical inference that the American "everyman's" game doesn't get the stamp of approval from the best player of his generation hurt someone's feewings.

Sorry.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Saw a bunch of Panthers fans saying they would do Trochek + Heponiemi+1st. Doesnt seem bad. Get the 13th overall and Hepo whos a blue chip right? Could come out of this draft with the 13th,14th and 21st picks which would be huge. Although id prefer not to trade Geno and I dont know if Florida offers that much. (Tallon sucks though).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Saw a bunch of Panthers fans saying they would do Trochek + Heponiemi+1st. Doesnt seem bad. Get the 13th overall and Hepo whos a blue chip right? Could come out of this draft with the 13th,14th and 21st picks which would be huge. Although id prefer not to trade Geno and I dont know if Florida offers that much. (Tallon sucks though).

There's no way you'd pull that off for Malkin.

Reactions: KIRK

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm not even going to try to guess who ends up on this roster next season. I genuinely feel like anything is possible. We could end up signing anyone from Kuhn to Hags to Karlsson and I wouldn't be completely surprised. Just a ton of moving parts.

I do think that guys like Ferland and Dzingel would fit like a glove but will also command more than they're worth. I guess you could say that for any FA, but if a guy like Dzingle is getting close to 5 per then that's a hard pass. Under 4, you definitely have my attention despite his playoff failure.

At the same time, we should have several guys knocking on the door at some point next year. Lafferty, Bjorkvist, Johnson, Palve, Miletic, Angello. If we're going to overpay anyone, maybe we're better off chasing a higher end player.

When are worlds over? I haven't been following.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm not even going to try to guess who ends up on this roster next season. I genuinely feel like anything is possible. We could end up signing anyone from Kuhn to Hags to Karlsson and I wouldn't be completely surprised. Just a ton of moving parts.

I do think that guys like Ferland and Dzingel would fit like a glove but will also command more than they're worth. I guess you could say that for any FA, but if a guy like Dzingle is getting close to 5 per then that's a hard pass. Under 4, you definitely have my attention despite his playoff failure.

At the same time, we should have several guys knocking on the door at some point next year. Lafferty, Bjorkvist, Johnson, Palve, Angello. Maybe we're better off chasing a higher end player.

When are worlds over? I haven't been following.

It ends May 26...

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Tempting. But then I imagine Geno doing Score in a different jersey and I hate my life. So no.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
What do people think Hayes will get as a UFA? If the pens move Kessel they could move Bjugstad to RW and sign Hayes for the third line center. He is still only 27 so not too old. And they could recoup some assets and cap space from Kessel. Obvious the defense is its own Mess.

Jake - Sid - Bjug
McCann - Geno - Horny
Simon - Hayes - Rust
Zar - TB - AJ

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
If we are dealing with the Yotes, do we take Nick Merkley or Kyle Capobianco? Both had major knee surgery.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
What do people think Hayes will get as a UFA? If the pens move Kessel they could move Bjugstad to RW and sign Hayes for the third line center. He is still only 27 so not too old. And they could recoup some assets and cap space from Kessel. Obvious the defense is its own Mess.

Jake - Sid - Bjug
McCann - Geno - Horny
Simon - Hayes - Rust
Zar - TB - AJ
me gusta.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Reactions: Andy99

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh

Jake - Sid - Bjug
McCann - Geno - Horny
Simon - Hayes - Rust
Zar - TB - AJ

I like it, but I still think we need a RW for L2. Horny never works there. Also, I'd like to trade Kessel for Ekholm/Smith to fill that need.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think we will be pleasantly surprised by the bottom six if Kessel is moved and Teddy is 4C.

It would force them to build lines around Sid and Malkin.

The D. Well, you all know me.

Could work out like that. Not ruling it out. Just pointing out that we were very strong in a lot of other areas when we did that and that it will be required again.

I still think as a # 6 the guy can do a decent job here
JR needs to move Maatta and find a solid #2-3 guy since Schultz will most probably be gone after next season as well

Problem with this is that as long as Gudbranson/Schultz are here, the 6 has to be a good partner for Gudbranson and Johnson just isn't that. His place with us is either 2nd pairing with Schultz, or in a bad pairing with Gudbranson. Neither works.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'd be willing to give to be rid of Johnson. I think he's going to have about as negative an impact as one guy can have next season.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I mean what are you providing if your not scoring or making chances? Eventually you have to score to win the game.

Except that there's more to the game then just your team scoring.
1) You also need to prevent the other team from scoring.
2) You can create energy with physical play and get the other team's players off their game and also looking over their shoulders.
3) You can create turnovers that could lead to offensive chances for yourself or your linemates with a good forecheck

I'm sure someone else who's not as tired could come up with more - but of those 3 pretty big ones, Kessel only does #1 when he feels like it, and even then is usually only average at best, and while he does do #3, it's usually only when he's on his game (at which point we're also usually seeing the offense). We rarely see that out of him when he's off his game.

I mean look at the difference between prime Neal vs prime Hornqvist. Neal was easily more skilled, but we were absolutely the better team with Hornqvist who provides a lot even when not scoring (although we didn't see much of that after his Jan 8th injury).

I’d rather find a guy to compliment kessel than pretend the guy is a minus asset. I know kessel avoids contact like the plague, but the guy does backcheck occasionally and even more so when the games really matter. Nobody is gonna sell me on kessel is lazy. He’s not lazy, maybe he doesn’t give 100% defensive effort every game, but sometimes these horrid mistakes aren’t always on him just because he’s on the ice. I’ve watched ferland during the games he has played (was injured) these playoffs, and without a doubt I’d take kessel. So would most canes fans I imagine, considering how lots were trashing on him during Washington series.

Sorry, but "not giving 100% effort every game" is the exact definition of lazy. It doesn't matter if it's defensive effort or just in general, they're the same thing. You're either giving it your all, or you're coasting, and Kessel coasts a LOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad