Salary Cap Crunch Part 2- The Capocalypse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
A third of the roster has barely, next to, or no NHL experience and if Teravainen struggles as a centre, the Hawks have no room to add insurance. I'm one of Teuvo's biggest fans, but going into a season with TT, Krugs and Shaw behind Toews is serious trouble.

One of Sharp or Crawford is going to go. My bet is Crawford.

Who do you see taking on Crawford?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I don't know. Edmonton makes a ton of sense if they want to compete for a playoff spot. I don't know how it works cap-wise though.

I'm hoping you're correct in your prediction. I thought his extension had two years too many. Hawks would probably have to retain some money.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
yeah... no

Upgrade the 4th to NYR's '15 2nd previously acquired in the Yandle trade. It'll be in the last four picks of the 2nd round, so maybe add another pick in the '16 draft to help make up for that? Korpikoski can stay or go. Take him if you want him, or leave him out if you prefer.

a late 2nd for Sharp? thats what you want to say if we leave out Korpi who wouldn't do anything for us

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Offer sheet compensation according to Friedman

Average annual value Compensation
Less than $1,205,377 Nothing
$1,205,377-to-$1,826,328 Third-round pick
$1,826,328-to-$3,652,659 Second-round pick
$3,652,659-to-$5,478,986 First and third-round picks
$5,478,986-to-$7,305,316 First, second and third-round picks
$7,305,316-to-$9,131,645 Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
$9,131,645 or greater Four first-round picks

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah, Saad's not going anywhere. The only reason he wasn't signed in season was because of tagging issues.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Not true at all.

Saad said he wanted to wait until the off season. Hawks had tagging room in March when the extra 10% kicked in along with Desjardin and Vermette's expiring contracts.

Vermette's contract has 0 influence on Saad's extension. As you mentioned, he's an expiring contract, it has no bearing on next year. Had the Blackhawks moved a contract to obtain his (like Bickell), you'd have a point. They didn't.

The Hawks only gain 1M in capspace for next year in the Smith/Desjardin's deal. Obviously not enough for Saad's extension and I'm not familiar with the stipulations regarding tagging and the summer cap overage allowance.

That's fine and well that Saad said he wanted to wait until the off-season. As the Hawks have shown, they get their guys signed as soon as they can. Given Saad hasn't been extended yet, I'm going to bet there's a reason behind it besides Saad's preceived preference to wait.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Vermette's contract has 0 influence on Saad's extension. As you mentioned, he's an expiring contract, it has no bearing on next year. Had the Blackhawks moved a contract to obtain his (like Bickell), you'd have a point. They didn't.

The Hawks only gain 1M in capspace for next year in the Smith/Desjardin's deal. Obviously not enough for Saad's extension and I'm not familiar with the stipulations regarding tagging and the summer cap overage allowance.

That's fine and well that Saad said he wanted to wait until the off-season. As the Hawks have shown, they get their guys signed as soon as they can. Given Saad hasn't been extended yet, I'm going to bet there's a reason behind it besides Saad's preceived preference to wait.

You said there was no tagging room. Vermette's contract is expiring so when he came to the Hawks, it increases the amount of tagging room. Same goes with Desjardin and Timonen, This along with the 10% Tagging room bonus on 3/1, the Hawks had enough tagging space to sign Saad if they wanted to.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't know. Edmonton makes a ton of sense if they want to compete for a playoff spot. I don't know how it works cap-wise though.

And why would Crawford waive his NMC to go to Edmonton?

Yeah, Saad's not going anywhere. The only reason he wasn't signed in season was because of tagging issues.

Why not? Hawks are in cap trouble and we saw what happened when Hawks had a highly valuable RFA who held out until he could receive offer sheet

No doubt Saad and his agent want to see if they can get one at this point. The fact they wont sign extension in season says enough

I have no doubt a team would be willing to drop 5-5.3M on him and force Hawks into corner of either matching + dumping more roster or letting him go

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
And why would Crawford waive his NMC to go to Edmonton?

Why not? Hawks are in cap trouble and we saw what happened when Hawks had a highly valuable RFA who held out until he could receive offer sheet

No doubt Saad and his agent want to see if they can get one at this point. The fact they wont sign extension in season says enough

I have no doubt a team would be willing to drop 5-5.3M on him and force Hawks into corner of either matching + dumping more roster or letting him go

I'd its 5-5.3 the other teams is just doing our negotiating for us. Thanks.

If it's 7-7.5 then we can talk.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
You said there was no tagging room. Vermette's contract is expiring so when he came to the Hawks, it increases the amount of tagging room. Same goes with Desjardin and Timonen, This along with the 10% Tagging room bonus on 3/1, the Hawks had enough tagging space to sign Saad if they wanted to.

I don't know how you're rationalizing your argument in your head, but it makes no sense.

If the Hawks went into the offseason with 10 contracts signed for next year, and then added a pending UFA, they'd still only have 10 contracts signed for the following year. They gain no space for the following season. It has no bearing.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
yeah... I don't get that either. Vermettes trade hasn't changed anything about the tagging room. Dahlbeck hasn't counted against next years cap.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
In order to sign a player early , you have to have tagging room. Tagging room is the sum of expiring contracts of that year.

For example: To sign Toews and Kane to their next contract , the Hawks needed to have $21 mil of expiring contracts .

The Hawks had $23.729 mil of expiring contracts (Kane Toews Oduya Rozy Richards Kruger Sadd Rundblad Carcillo)

The Hawks signed the both for $21 mil leaving $2.729 to early sign any of their UFA/RFA.

On March 1, the CBA gives 10% more tagging room

Tagging is like a pre-cap for 15-16 but based on expiring contracts. On July 1 st, tagging is reset to the new expiring contracts for 15-16

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
yeah... I don't get that either. Vermettes trade hasn't changed anything about the tagging room. Dahlbeck hasn't counted against next years cap.

Vermette contract is expring so it gets added to the tagging room. From my reading of the CBA, the whole contract is counted and not pro rata which doesn't seem right to me.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Hopefully his awful play in these playoffs brings his price tag down a bit.

He has been horrible this series especially, where is that speed of his? Its like the guy cant skate anymore. He used to always go wide and try to sneak in around a D man or get a good shot on from an angle, that just seems impossible for him to do now, kinda weird when he used to try to do that 4-5 times a game.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He has been horrible this series especially, where is that speed of his? Its like the guy cant skate anymore. He used to always go wide and try to sneak in around a D man or get a good shot on from an angle, that just seems impossible for him to do now, kinda weird when he used to try to do that 4-5 times a game.

Saad was pretty good last night from my eyes. Not much offense that we are used to from him, but he was all over the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad