Salary Cap Crunch Part 2- The Capocalypse

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
So deplete the D corp even more? Keith, Hammer and 5 rookies/<$1 mil vets

Well the value would be sensibly something like a recent high pick Dman who is NHL ready. Like Darnell Nurse but idk now preposterous that would be, even if it had some extra element to it for a trade. Those are the only ideas I'd take into consideration for trading Seabs. If not that type of return, it's not close to worth it even with worrying about what will happen with his next contract.

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
Even though the return for Seabrook would probably be the highest, I'd rather trade Sharp for a lower return than dealing Seabrook.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Well the value would be sensibly something like a recent high pick Dman who is NHL ready. Like Darnell Nurse but idk now preposterous that would be, even if it had some extra element to it for a trade. Those are the only ideas I'd take into consideration for trading Seabs. If not that type of return, it's not close to worth it even with worrying about what will happen with his next contract.

Yeah the Hawks would have to get back a young and cheap Dman back in any Seabrook trade. Obviously any reasonable Seabrook trade would mean a pretty big step back for this team next year but I think it's something to consider if Seabrook is going to be too expensive going forward.

Nothingman*

Yeah the Hawks would have to get back a young and cheap Dman back in any Seabrook trade. Obviously any reasonable Seabrook trade would mean a pretty big step back for this team next year but I think it's something to consider if Seabrook is going to be too expensive going forward.

That is what the issue is. Unless there is a huge increase in the Cap he will be most likely unaffordable. So get what you can when you can for him.

HjamSandwich

Oct 16, 2010
Seabrook is the last guy that should be moved. Sharp and Crawford well before him (and I think even his major detractors would agree).

The difference in return could be large. I think we could actually get a really nice asset in return for Seabs. Not so much with Sharp/Crawford.

Concerns about depleting the D are warranted, but it could pay dividends to be proactive about cap space. Not sure how we'll handle Seabs' expiration in the 2016 offseason.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Going into next season with only 2 proven defensemen (assuming Oduya is gone too) is a recipe for disaster. I don't want the team to be this next year's version of this year's Kings.

I understand the return would probably be the greatest, but Seabrook is an integral part of this team (more so than Sharp or Crawford in my opinion).

HjamSandwich

Oct 16, 2010
That is what the issue is. Unless there is a huge increase in the Cap he will be most likely unaffordable. So get what you can when you can for him.

Yeah, basically this.

Won't pretend I'm too knowledgeable on hockey prospects, but I've seen Seabs for Draistl thrown around, and it makes some sense to me.

Nothingman*

Going into next season with only 2 proven defensemen (assuming Oduya is gone too) is a recipe for disaster. I don't want the team to be this next year's version of this year's Kings.

I understand the return would probably be the greatest, but Seabrook is an integral part of this team (more so than Sharp or Crawford in my opinion).

I am figuring we will sign a vet bottom pairing guy. And there is no way to know what/if there are trade partners for Sharp/Bickell. That might force the hand if we need to get under the cap.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
True, no one knows what any of these guys are going to potentially yield.

I will say that the hand-wringing over Bickell not being able to be moved will reach a fever pitch in the upcoming weeks.

HjamSandwich

Oct 16, 2010
Also, are we in agreement that Seabs is probably in a tier below Keith/Hammer quality wise? Granted, the guy has a knack for ending games in overtime, but he doesn't seem as dominant to me as the other two.

Nothingman*

True, no one knows what any of these guys are going to potentially yield.

I will say that the hand-wringing over Bickell not being able to be moved will reach a fever pitch in the upcoming weeks.

Yes. If he is unlovable I will be pissed. I think everyone on this board know it was a 1-2MM overpay on the guy at the time. But Stan has a way to get out of those positions it seems.

Also, are we in agreement that Seabs is probably in a tier below Keith/Hammer quality wise? Granted, the guy has a knack for ending games in overtime, but he doesn't seem as dominant to me as the other two.

I think this is true. When Seabs is on though he is as good as Hammer. But that is few and far between. He is a second pairing guy usually in my eyes. I do love Seabs for what he has done for us. He does a lot of the dirty work the other D men don;t do like hit every once in a while.

Nothingman*

Seabrook is a top pairing defenseman. Those and top flight centers don't get moved. He'd return a ton. But without him our defense takes a big step back.

I agree with most of that. But....if you have no other option other than moving him to get under the cap you have to do it. It is not the first choice by any means. And you don't let him walk for nothing when you cannot afford him after next.

HjamSandwich

Oct 16, 2010
Seabrook is a top pairing defenseman. Those and top flight centers don't get moved. He'd return a ton. But without him our defense takes a big step back.

Probably an oversimplification, but there is a real chance that our options are:

1. Move him this offseason for significant value
2. Let him walk after next season, since we don't have the money

Trading Seabs is less about this season's Capocalypse and more about next year's. I can see both sides of the debate, but I think there could be merit to cashing in Seabs as an asset at the expense of going "all-in" again next year. Perhaps we take a step back next year, but the team could project as disgustingly good the years following.

Nothingman*

Where is this "We have no cap space to sign Seabrook" coming from?

We need Capgeek :(

Perhaps it is possible to keep him the following year. But it depends on how much of a raise he will get and if both Bickell and Sharp are gone. We will be up against it next year so what makes you think we will have an extra 2MM laying around in cap space?

This offseason will be interesting.....

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Concerning Seabrook I think the real question is how much of a raise can he realistically take over the what, 5.8-6M he's making now--especially given his age.

I don't think Seabs is moved this offseason unless there are literally no takers for Bickell, Sharp, & Crawford. I doubt that will happen. Right now though there's no real contingency plan for losing Seabs. The next big-bodied RHD on our depth chart was Rosival so you see how depleted we are in that respect.

I think Johns may be the wildcard moving forward there. I certanly don't expect him to to be at or beyond Seabs' by the end of next season but he's probably the best bet the team has for big bodied RHD--if he comes in and is willing to take the body, muck it up in the corners and clear the crease Seabs' relative value will drop a bit. If Johns cannot come out and make an impact Seabs value will go up, relatively, and will make him a must-resign.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
We need Capgeek :(

Perhaps it is possible to keep him the following year. But it depends on how much of a raise he will get and if both Bickell and Sharp are gone. We will be up against it next year so what makes you think we will have an extra 2MM laying around in cap space?

This offseason will be interesting.....

http://www.generalfanager.com/

I haven't used it much but I haven't run into any problems with it.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Just go and look at what all the top D man are. Seabrook's current cap hit is in the top 12 highest paid d men. Is he worth $7 mil? that is only $1.2 mil more than his current cap hit?

Currently the Hawks have 12 guys under contract for 16-17 for $55 mil which includes Sharp.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

I agree. I don't think Seabrook is an option to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad