Salary Cap Crunch Part 2- The Capocalypse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Trading Seabrook would be a mistake, and I can't really see it happening. There's already Sharp who would get a nice return, and Bickell/Versteeg.

Worry about re-signing Seabrook later on. We don't know what the cap will be for 16/17, what Seabrook will want and if he'd take a discount, or how much space the Hawks will have.

If the Hawks look like **** next season (unlikely) and it's looking like Seabrook might not re-sign, there's always the trade deadline where he'd get a really nice return.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Just go and look at what all the top D man are. Seabrook's current cap hit is in the top 12 highest paid d men. Is he worth $7 mil? that is only $1.2 mil more than his current cap hit?

Currently the Hawks have 12 guys under contract for 16-17 for $55 mil which includes Sharp.

True, they can probably afford 7M or so for him starting in 2016, I think the problem would more be the term. Obviously it would be ideal if Stan could work out a reasonable extension this offseason but it's probably going to come down to how many good years Stan thinks Seabrook has left vs how many years Seabrook wants to get.

If they can't agree on term then now is the time to move on.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Let's say Crow goes out and wins the Conn Smythe...Do the hawks move him? His value will never be at a higher point, I presume.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Trading Seabrook would be a mistake, and I can't really see it happening. There's already Sharp who would get a nice return, and Bickell/Versteeg.

Worry about re-signing Seabrook later on. We don't know what the cap will be for 16/17, what Seabrook will want and if he'd take a discount, or how much space the Hawks will have.

If the Hawks look like **** next season (unlikely) and it's looking like Seabrook might not re-sign, there's always the trade deadline where he'd get a really nice return.

What if the Hawks look good next season and it looks like he won't re-sign?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
What if the Hawks look good next season and it looks like he won't re-sign?

The Hawks should be trying to win the cup every year. This is Toews/Kane/Keith's prime and you cant waste that away. If the Hawks are in contention and you don't think he will resign you absolutely don't move him. Also, a guy like Seabrook could still probably bring a pick in a rights deal.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He'd need to absolutely steal every win en route to our cup for it to go to Crow. This is Keith's year.

Agree. Dude is a freak. Loved his comments after the first triple OT game this run -> "I used to play pond hockey for 8 hours a day when I was a kid, so I'm fine."

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
The Hawks should be trying to win the cup every year. This is Toews/Kane/Keith's prime and you cant waste that away. If the Hawks are in contention and you don't think he will resign you absolutely don't move him. Also, a guy like Seabrook could still probably bring a pick in a rights deal.

Sure but you still have to always play the long-game to some extent. Crosby and Malkin's primes are being wasted in Pitt by making every year a "win now" year and now they don't have the pieces around them.

Obviously it depends on how this offseason goes and how some of the prospects look but as of now I wouldn't consider next year a true "all-in" season.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Sure but you still have to always play the long-game to some extent. Crosby and Malkin's primes are being wasted in Pitt by making every year a "win now" year and now they don't have the pieces around them.

Obviously it depends on how this offseason goes and how some of the prospects look but as of now I wouldn't consider next year a true "all-in" season.

Or because Shero continued to draft defenseman when they needed forwards. That guy Saad would have been a nice pick :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad