Salary Cap Crunch Part 2- The Capocalypse

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
When was the last time the cap went down?

Pretty much only in the immediate aftermath of a lockout, followed quickly by the cap going up with each successive year.

One way or the other, we're going to be leaning heavily on some Rockford call ups next year. Just hoping that some combo of Danault, McNeill, Hartman, Pokka, Ross, Clendening, and Johns are ready to step up to fill in the gaps, and that said gaps are less in number than we're fearing. Obviously can't expect all our guys to hack it up in Chicago.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
In addition to those prospects, maybe we'll get lucky and Paliotta will be as NHL-ready as TVR was.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Always a possibility, but it's not something I would expect, which is why I specifically only named Rockford guys that have had some development time on a pro level.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
26b930327d7a9fcf166b3d1adc1b027e.png

Take out the 5% escalator and you might have a had a couple decreasing caps.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Even if it just slows down and doesn't go backwards it still means we bought Toews and Kane at the peak and Stamkos/Kopitar/STL guys etc are never going to come in over or even close to the Toews and Kane contracts.

It's really just terrible unlucky timing for the Hawks, which I'm fine with because we have had everything working perfectly for the last 8 years.

Nothingman*

Well.....best case is our guys from Rockford step up decently. We have Johns, Paliotta, etc. on D and McNiel TT, to fill in as well. I expect a year or two of growing pains with the youth but then being back in the mix. As well as getting some picks for who we trade this off season to help with the restock. Remember in a couple years Seabs and Bickell come off so it will not be as bad as we think by then. Then you will have been found out in regards to who is a fit from that pool of prospects.

Was I too optimistic?

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
My doomsday scenario:
Cap at 69. Bickell bought out. Steeger, Shaw, Smith traded.
Bowman will have to play hardball with the RFAs.
I'm not totally agianst trading Sharp. But I don't think market will be that great for him if the cap freezes at 69.
His NTC complicates the matter even more.

FORWARDS
Brandon Saad ($3.300m) / Jonathan Toews ($10.500m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Teuvo Teravainen ($0.894m) / Patrick Kane ($10.500m)
Young F via trade ($0.800m) / Phillip Danault ($0.863m) / Mark McNeill ($0.863m)
Cheap Vet Grinder ($0.600m) / Marcus Kruger($1.500m) / Joakim Nordstrom ($0.650m)
Brandon Mashinter ($0.563m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Brent Seabrook ($5.800m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($4.100m) / Trevor Van Riemsdyk ($0.925m)
David Rundblad ($0.800m) / Ville Pokka ($0.925m)
Vet D Not Named Rozy ($0.800m) /

GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($6.000m)
Antti Raanta ($0.750m)

BUYOUTS
Steve Montador ($0.000m)
Bryan Bickell ($1.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,846,795
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $153,205

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
My doomsday scenario:
Cap at 69. Bickell bought out. Steeger, Shaw, Smith traded.
Bowman will have to play hardball with the RFAs.
I'm not totally agianst trading Sharp. But I don't think market will be that great for him if the cap freezes at 69.
His NTC complicates the matter even more.

FORWARDS
Brandon Saad ($3.300m) / Jonathan Toews ($10.500m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Teuvo Teravainen ($0.894m) / Patrick Kane ($10.500m)
Young F via trade ($0.800m) / Phillip Danault ($0.863m) / Mark McNeill ($0.863m)
Cheap Vet Grinder ($0.600m) / Marcus Kruger($1.500m) / Joakim Nordstrom ($0.650m)
Brandon Mashinter ($0.563m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Brent Seabrook ($5.800m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($4.100m) / Trevor Van Riemsdyk ($0.925m)
David Rundblad ($0.800m) / Ville Pokka ($0.925m)
Vet D Not Named Rozy ($0.800m) /

GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($6.000m)
Antti Raanta ($0.750m)

BUYOUTS
Steve Montador ($0.000m)
Bryan Bickell ($1.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,846,795
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $153,205

WTF? how did you use capgeek :amazed:

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
If the cap is at $69M, I'd almost rather see as few players moved out as opposed to gutting 6-7 players to make it work. So put me down for trading one of Sharp or Crawford (if anyone is willing to take that contract, Sharp is easier to trade I'd think) and Bickell. Looking at the archived Cap Geek that would leave the Hawks with roughly $56 million allocated to 13 players.

Forwards (7 total at $32.9M): Toews ($10.5M), Kane ($10.5M), Hossa ($5.3M), Versteeg ($2.2M), Shaw ($2M), Smith (1.5M), Terevainan ($0.9M)

Defenceman (4 total at $16.3M): Seabrook ($5.8M), Keith ($5.5M), Hammer ($4.1M), TVR ($0.9M)

Goalies (2 total at $6.8M): Crawford ($6.0M), Raanta ($0.8M)

Leaving 10 players with $13M to spend. I'll give Saad $3.8M just for this scenario because I can easily see Stan overpaying slightly.

I'll go with these kids from Rockford making the jump:

Pokka and Johns - combined $1.7M
McNeill and Danault - combined 1.7M

After that, the Hawks are 18 players and $63.2M with the roster looking like this:

Versteeg-Toews-Kane
Saad-Teravainen- Hossa
Danault-3rd line C- Shaw
McNeill-4th line C- Smith
13th Forward, 14th Forward

Keith-Seabrook
Hammer-Pokka
Johns-TVR
Veteran Dman

Crawford
Raanta

Leave the Hawks with $5.8M to fill those holes on the roster. Kruger will be an interesting case depending on his contract demands. They'd have to try to find some cheaper veteran UFAs to fill some of those spots. Gotta figure that in trading Sharp they would be able to get a decent piece to help the roster next year. And they can always try to save another $1M if they want to trade a Shaw and replace him with someone on a ELC.

Regardless, a $69M cap is gonna make things very difficult on the Hawks next year, no matter how you go about trying to construct a roster. Hopefully it's closer to $70-71M.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
If the cap is at $69M, I'd almost rather see as few players moved out as opposed to gutting 6-7 players to make it work. So put me down for trading one of Sharp or Crawford (if anyone is willing to take that contract, Sharp is easier to trade I'd think) and Bickell. Looking at the archived Cap Geek that would leave the Hawks with roughly $56 million allocated to 13 players.

Forwards (7 total at $32.9M): Toews ($10.5M), Kane ($10.5M), Hossa ($5.3M), Versteeg ($2.2M), Shaw ($2M), Smith (1.5M), Terevainan ($0.9M)

Defenceman (4 total at $16.3M): Seabrook ($5.8M), Keith ($5.5M), Hammer ($4.1M), TVR ($0.9M)

Goalies (2 total at $6.8M): Crawford ($6.0M), Raanta ($0.8M)

Leaving 10 players with $13M to spend. I'll give Saad $3.8M just for this scenario because I can easily see Stan overpaying slightly.

I'll go with these kids from Rockford making the jump:

Pokka and Johns - combined $1.7M
McNeill and Danault - combined 1.7M

After that, the Hawks are 18 players and $63.2M with the roster looking like this:

Versteeg-Toews-Kane
Saad-Teravainen- Hossa
Danault-3rd line C- Shaw
McNeill-4th line C- Smith
13th Forward, 14th Forward

Keith-Seabrook
Hammer-Pokka
Johns-TVR
Veteran Dman

Crawford
Raanta

Leave the Hawks with $5.8M to fill those holes on the roster. Kruger will be an interesting case depending on his contract demands. They'd have to try to find some cheaper veteran UFAs to fill some of those spots. Gotta figure that in trading Sharp they would be able to get a decent piece to help the roster next year. And they can always try to save another $1M if they want to trade a Shaw and replace him with someone on a ELC.

Regardless, a $69M cap is gonna make things very difficult on the Hawks next year, no matter how you go about trying to construct a roster. Hopefully it's closer to $70-71M.

Good analysis. I'd keep Kruger (barring an insane salary demand (which I don't think will happen)) over Shaw. And Runblad is definitely in the 4 young d-men mix. Agree that Johns & Pokka have the inside track (over Dahlbeck & Clendening).

Last edited:

ReillyO

Feb 18, 2014
Even if it just slows down and doesn't go backwards it still means we bought Toews and Kane at the peak and Stamkos/Kopitar/STL guys etc are never going to come in over or even close to the Toews and Kane contracts.

It's really just terrible unlucky timing for the Hawks, which I'm fine with because we have had everything working perfectly for the last 8 years.

Working perfectly? We already went through one Capocalypse. And if the cap stagnates, whose to say Toews and Kane want spend their late prime years on a team that can never afford to keep the depth to be a contender?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

Stamkos will be close to the Toews and Kane contracts IMO. He even said he was looking at those contracts as a guide to his upcoming negotiations when he was saying at the all-star game he plans to stay in Tampa.

It's a lot easier for a team to find the money to pay one guy 10.5 than to have to do what the Hawks did and give out two of those deals.

EricRealm

Oct 22, 2013
Stamkos will be close to the Toews and Kane contracts IMO. He even said he was looking at those contracts as a guide to his upcoming negotiations when he was saying at the all-star game he plans to stay in Tampa.

It's a lot easier for a team to find the money to pay one guy 10.5 than to have to do what the Hawks did and give out two of those deals.

Is there any way we can do like a reverse tank where we trade away some pick/prospects and in exchange they have to take on a portion of T&K's cap hit? Like they still play for us and everything but now say EDM or BUF has to pay the tab?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Sabres fan here.

Given the cap situation is getting a bit more muddled as the days go by, I'm curious if this piques your interest (an offseason deal, obviously):

To Buffalo: Patrick Kane, Bryan Bickell
To Chicago: Tyler Ennis, Marcus Foligino, McCabe, 2x 2015 1sts (St Louis+ NYI), and your choice of any forward prospect not named Reinhart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad