Saginaw Spirit 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Like the Klein signing but has anyone heard anything about Jovanovic??

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I don’t see Fantilli even being in play. Think Klein and Baker sign. Not sure Jovanovic is OHL or NCAA bound? Really could use him on our D as we don’t have anyone from 2019 draft that comes to mind

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Nothing to worry about imo. It'll happen in due time.

For example, Perfetti didn't sign until June, Bloom didn't sign until late May etc.

Very true....I will come in off the ledge now

Last edited:

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Very true....I will come the ledge now

Not to mention I'm sure most parents actually want to tour the arena and area if they didnt come for a predraft visit. Klein said in an interview one of his buddies is on the team here so he knows all about it and heard good things. Other players may need to wait till the border opens to come visit.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
So taking a best guess since we dont know full rosters, who is coming and who is going, what the import draft will look like. etc......what does our Division look like to everyone?

My guess taking everything into account above would look like the following:

1. Saginaw (Still high end players leading the way)
2. Windsor (Solid depth across roster)
3. SSM (Improvements expected)
4. Flint (Losing some key elements up front)
5. Sarnia (Still work to be done)

I dont think we will see as much of a point difference between 1st and 5th like last year's 37.....more like low 20s

Love to hear everyone's thoughts to help break up the covid boredom

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Interesting that Jake Goldowski just got drafted in the USHL phase 2 draft by Dubuque. Guess it makes sense as there's a chance he isn't a SAG OA next year

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Interesting that Jake Goldowski just got drafted in the USHL phase 2 draft by Dubuque. Guess it makes sense as there's a chance he isn't a SAG OA next year

Is that even an option? Why would someone play there? Can he still get a scholarship for NCAA after playing in the OHL?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Is that even an option? Why would someone play there? Can he still get a scholarship for NCAA after playing in the OHL?

He can't get an NCAA scholarship but could still play USHL. It's a better league than OJHL so if he isn't one of SAG's OAs and out of the league, he could go there if he still wants to play high level junior (and he's American so would make more sense than OJHL)

Reactions: Saggy

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
He can't get an NCAA scholarship but could still play USHL. It's a better league than OJHL so if he isn't one of SAG's OAs and out of the league, he could go there if he still wants to play high level junior (and he's American so would make more sense than OJHL)

Can he play Canadian college hockey?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
So taking a best guess since we dont know full rosters, who is coming and who is going, what the import draft will look like. etc......what does our Division look like to everyone?

My guess taking everything into account above would look like the following:

1. Saginaw (Still high end players leading the way)
2. Windsor (Solid depth across roster)
3. SSM (Improvements expected)
4. Flint (Losing some key elements up front)
5. Sarnia (Still work to be done)

I dont think we will see as much of a point difference between 1st and 5th like last year's 37.....more like low 20s

Love to hear everyone's thoughts to help break up the covid boredom

I think that’s a very optimistic outlook for us. The only thing is that we can’t really add to the team anymore outside of the import draft and some signings so the team we have is what we have. Others in the division can improve themselves if need be. If we play our cards right, we can be right back to contending in 2021/22. For me the division would be:

Soo
Windsor
Flint
Saginaw
Sarnia (until they get a new coach)

That being said, I think the bottom team in the division could still be a solid team. There isn’t going to really be a “bad” team and there isn’t going to be a lot separating each team, UNTIL the deadline hits. Then the separation will occur.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Yeah. As of now Saginaw/OHL would be paying for 3 years of Canadian university/college for him since he played 3 seasons for them
Unless we know SPA signed by him, we cannot confirm how many years of schooling will be paid. Can be 3 or 4??

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I think that’s a very optimistic outlook for us. The only thing is that we can’t really add to the team anymore outside of the import draft and some signings so the team we have is what we have. Others in the division can improve themselves if need be. If we play our cards right, we can be right back to contending in 2021/22. For me the division would be:

Soo
Windsor
Flint
Saginaw
Sarnia (until they get a new coach)

That being said, I think the bottom team in the division could still be a solid team. There isn’t going to really be a “bad” team and there isn’t going to be a lot separating each team, UNTIL the deadline hits. Then the separation will occur.

Outside of Sarnia, I couldn't disagree more.

The SOO are solid on D and have some depth. Outside of that they have no line that compares to Perfetti-Suzuki-Import/Trade/Whoever and they have a goalie combo that has only seen a collective 28 games.

Flint as well....Dellandrea, Tucker, Popovich and one of OA D group of Busby/Lalonde/McCourt are all gone. Oksentyuk may also be out (50/50). I just dont see them getting any better. They have gotten younger and smaller.

Love to hear why you think they would be ahead of us.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Unless we know SPA signed by him, we cannot confirm how many years of schooling will be paid. Can be 3 or 4??

You get 1 year of schooling for each year you play in the OHL. He’s played 3 years, that’s 3 years of schooling paid for

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Saginaw loses much more than any other team including 4 (or maybe 5) NHL drafted players plus an impact import. Flint's 2001 core (Morgan, Oksentyuk, Keppen, Kolyachonok, Gretz) is stronger than Saginaw's. And Saginaw's picks cupboard is already empty. Saginaw will have to strongly consider selling Suzuki/Perfetti to recoup picks this season. I don't have them as a contender.

Reactions: TcNorth

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Outside of Sarnia, I couldn't disagree more.

The SOO are solid on D and have some depth. Outside of that they have no line that compares to Perfetti-Suzuki-Import/Trade/Whoever and they have a goalie combo that has only seen a collective 28 games.

Flint as well....Dellandrea, Tucker, Popovich and one of OA D group of Busby/Lalonde/McCourt are all gone. Oksentyuk may also be out (50/50). I just dont see them getting any better. They have gotten younger and smaller.

Love to hear why you think they would be ahead of us.

Just players in general in the 01/02 group there’s:

Saginaw-Perfetti, Suzuki, Duhart, Baber, Bulovs, Millman, Smith, Lennox

Soo-Carroll, Dickinson, Kartye, Kerins, Mackay, Pytlik, Johnston, Calisti, Constantinou, O’rourke, Halashuk, Malik

Windsor-Cuylle, Foudy, Afanasyev, D’Amico, Maggio, McDonald, Henault, Ladd, Robinson, Medina

Flint-Keppen, Morgan, Oksentyuk, Piercey, Pierce, Gretz, Koly, Harper, Cavallin, Grainer (plus they probably have one the better OA groups in the league potentially).

Sarnia-Burke, Guy, Hill Perrault, Rees, Saye, Hjorth, Kamerrer, Nollet, Ressor, Lanaveign

Soo, Flint, and Windsor can all add to their core groups. We’re going to have a hard time doing the same. In a one game series where no one has made moves, yeah, Perfetti/Suzuki/Millman/Lennox have a good chance. Over the course of a 68 games season? A season where guys miss time, especially good ones for camp/tournies/injuries/suspensions, where other teams that can, will add to their cores, no. I would not have us at the top of that group. I’d have these teams in the same order I had them before, unless some massive changes happen.

Reactions: dirty12

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I see your point but I'm going to stay the course until we see some trades and import draft. Still think we have the best First line in the Division and best Goalie (assuming he is 100% healthy and ready to go). Think we will also see some value adds from our 2019 rookies. May need a little help with a solid stay at home Dman but time will tell.

No disrespect at all to your thoughts....enjoy the debate to fill in the dull no sports times

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Andreakos has never signed though so does this mean Oke is our guy? Played on a stacked Honeybaked team and I’ve heard good things.

Has anyone seen him play or have a scouting report?

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
You get 1 year of schooling for each year you play in the OHL. He’s played 3 years, that’s 3 years of schooling paid for
Not correct. If a kid signs a 2-2 contract, he can play 2 yrs in OHL and receive 4 yrs of schooling. If a kid signs a first round package or 4 for 1 deal, and only plays 1 year, he will get all 4 years. As long as he doesnt quit team.

Reactions: sudburydinnerjacket

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Andreakos has never signed though so does this mean Oke is our guy? Played on a stacked Honeybaked team and I’ve heard good things.

Has anyone seen him play or have a scouting report?

it’s not very often that sixteen year old goalies can succeed in the OHL. They usually need a year of Jr.A first

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I'm still looking at a solid team with Perfetti and Suzuki leading the F. We can use our picks to add and always trade to recoup loses if things go south. Look at potential picks if Perfetti, Suzuki, Millman, Lennox are avaiable to trade. Still plenty of time until mid September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad