Saginaw Spirit 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
King, Jenkins and then who?

Katic, Antropov, Goldowski, Solivyov and Frappier

Assuming Giroux and Wilde playing in AHL.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
King, Jenkins and then who?

Katic, Antropov, Goldowski, Solivyov and Frappier

Assuming Giroux and Wilde playing in AHL.

Antropov would be my guess. Solo would by be my personal pick, but the OA/Import double whammy is a big hit and hopefully he can sign with a pro team to play anyway.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

Just reading this tweet with a scouting report from Owen Baker's U15 coach. Reads just like a profile on a young DJ Busdeker. If Saginaw can strike gold finding another player who works as hard as DJ, scouts hit a gem here in the 6th. Best part is according to Drinkill is he has been up to Saginaw and is hungry tontry and make the team, which makes me believe signing shouldn't be an issue.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
So let's assume that he is a no-show for sake of argument......what does our lineup look like? Sees that Kingpin and bcsprague have some of the better insights so why don't you guys take a crack at it.

Best guess currently (of course there will be trades and what not but this would at least fill a lineup)

Perfetti-Suzuki-Import
Bloom-Jenkins-Antropov
Duhart-Baber-Codd
Fleming-Klein-Baker

Bulovs
Lipkin (17 year old picked this year who has a college commit. Late bloomer who I could see signed)

Millman-King
Smith-Import
Mancini-Jovanovic

Lennox
Andrekos
Oke

Reactions: Saggy

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Best guess currently (of course there will be trades and what not but this would at least fill a lineup)

Perfetti-Suzuki-Import
Bloom-Jenkins-Antropov
Duhart-Baber-Codd
Fleming-Klein-Baker

Bulovs
Lipkin (17 year old picked this year who has a college commit. Late bloomer who I could see signed)

Millman-King
Smith-Import
Mancini-Jovanovic

Lennox
Andrekos
Oke

Was about to post just about this exact line up/lines. If they don't do anything to it during the season, that's a 5/6 seed probably just based on sheer talent willing us to wins on some nights when needed.

Our division is going to be a nightmare next season. Windsor, Soo and Sarnia will all be better and Flint will still be good as well.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Little surprised I didn’t think you would take a first round flier on Fantilli. Worst case scenario would be I guess to claim him as a defective (weird term, LOL) and I would guess this was the plan all along. Or do you risk it and think he shows up a year from now?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
They have 5 months to talk to his camp before they need to decide

Drinkell didn't do it with Jenkins or Perfetti. I don't think he'll do it with Fantilli. Not his style. He'll either get him to sign down the road or he won't. He's got way more than five months, he's got years.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If they are considering claiming him defective, they have 5 months to decide. If they opt to keep his rights beyond that, then compensatory picks come off the table. Of course, they could still trade his rights or get him to report in future years.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Perhaps not them but the division will still be incredibly tough.

Not so sure I agree....Windsor doesn't seem to be loosing much when you look at the OA situation. Flint, on the other hand, has some very hard decisions to make.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Im still stuck on our OA situation......looks like everyone has Antropov getting that last spot. I'm not so sure......Katic received most improved player plus was on a second PP unit.....Antropov was not.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Im still stuck on our OA situation......looks like everyone has Antropov getting that last spot. I'm not so sure......Katic received most improved player plus was on a second PP unit.....Antropov was not.

Katic scored at a .58 ppg mark seeing 2nd pp time (as a net front guy)

Antropov scored at a .57 ppg mark without that pp time and on a checking line with Katic and Goldie who are great kids but not ones anyone is going to call a playmaker or a sniper.

For reference Danil scored at a .78 clip the season before and at a .52 clip 2 seasons ago. You play Danil with better players and his point totals are going to reflect his talent.I can see him putting up a Hayden Hodgson like number jump as an OA. Better playing with Perfetti and Suzuki.

Katic likely will play in the league as an OA somewhere (Saginaw or by trade) and if he would use his size effectively would be a monster OA in his own right. But I've seen him pushed around too much in the previous years hes been here to believe anything will change.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Katic scored at a .58 ppg mark seeing 2nd pp time (as a net front guy)

Antropov scored at a .57 ppg mark without that pp time and on a checking line with Katic and Goldie who are great kids but not ones anyone is going to call a playmaker or a sniper.

For reference Danil scored at a .78 clip the season before and at a .52 clip 2 seasons ago. You play Danil with better players and his point totals are going to reflect his talent.I can see him putting up a Hayden Hodgson like number jump as an OA. Better playing with Perfetti and Suzuki.

Katic likely will play in the league as an OA somewhere (Saginaw or by trade) and if he would use his size effectively would be a monster OA in his own right. But I've seen him pushed around too much in the previous years hes been here to believe anything will change.

Good points. I personally like Antropov a lot more but seemed like Laz had a crush on Katic.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
You're welcome I guess?

I've seen these kind of thank yous here and on twitter and it's kind of funny. With the way we've been able to recruit, why aren't more people screaming that WE took Fantilli? We've been right there with the Knights with breaking NCAA commits. Suddenly it's not a league conspiracy that Saginaw takes the number one guy? Ok.

Saginaw isn't the perennial powerhouse that London is. They aren't Branchs' favorite team. They don't "magically" get guys who said they'd refuse to all of a sudden change their mind.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Saginaw isn't the perennial powerhouse that London is. They aren't Branchs' favorite team. They don't "magically" get guys who said they'd refuse to all of a sudden change their mind.

Saginaw has had more flipped ncaa recruits on its roster in recent years than London though. So sure we arent as hated as the hunters in some circles, but they definitely get alot of players to come who had NCAA commits. 8 flipped players on the roster last year alone, with Saginaw having flipped 7 of them

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
My gut feel is that they are also attracting many Michigan kids as the product on the ice rivals London as of late and the kids get to stay in their home state, Michigan is a hotbed for hockey as of late so its a good thing for both Saginaw and Flint.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Well we’re all bored and I decided to do a quick sweep of elite prospects ahead of tomorrow’s U18 draft to see who might be worth taking. No idea if these guys are any good. This is just off of stats. Can’t imagine Spirit scouting staff has put a lot of work into the midget circuit but hey, maybe one of these guys will be among our picks:

ETAHL
Christos Chronis
Matt Cato
Nicholas Dowling
Nathanial Burelle
Lucas Culhane
William Gourgouvelis
Logan Boutros

GTHL
Marco Iozzo

AHMPL
Tanner Dietz
Kale Couvillon
Anthony Lucarelli
Omar Hage
Marshall Nicholls

SCTA
Kevin Henstock
Andrew Whitton
Owen Johnston
Eric Bertelsen
Anthony Bax
Ben Bonisteel
Braedyn McIntosh

HEOMAAA
Nikita Tiatinkin
Riley Dubois
Matteo Disipio
Jack Parker
Paul Hughes
Cameron Whitehead
Jacob Osborne

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Saginaw has had more flipped ncaa recruits on its roster in recent years than London though. So sure we arent as hated as the hunters in some circles, but they definitely get alot of players to come who had NCAA commits. 8 flipped players on the roster last year alone, with Saginaw having flipped 7 of them

Without looking how many were American I could see a US junior team having an edge over Canadian ones for some American players who think Canada is some far off foreign land.

But sorry, you guys have a long way to go before you're depised by the rest of the league like the Knights org. :dunno:

Reactions: TheCoach

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Without looking how many were American I could see a US junior team having an edge over Canadian ones for some American players who think Canada is some far off foreign land.

But sorry, you guys have a long way to go before you're depised by the rest of the league like the Knights org. :dunno:

Not suggesting for a second that we are in the same category as London. They have a long track record of success and a proven product on the ice. I am, however, suggesting that over the last 2 to 3 years the impression of Saginaw has gone up dramatically. Also, based on the way London utilizes their first rounders, a Michigan making decisions would probably lean towards Saginaw and our window of opportunity.

Reactions: bcspragu

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I believe Peter Fleming can step and continue where he left off last season. He is a 01 born that is 6'3 195 who put up good numbers in the OJHL GP-40 G-19 A-26 Pt-45.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad