Saginaw Spirit 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Was hoping this wouldn't happen but it is for the best. I thought the team was starting to play as good as they have all year.
Next season is almost a half year away, wow that sucks. So the longest off-season will give DD plenty of time to work some magic and address our immediate needs. I guess we should get credit for winning the Central Division and a 2nd banner. It will be two years in a row of what if?

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I just took a peek at the KIA TOP 10 from Week 1 to Today...….Final rankings with Week 1 rankings in brackets...….pretty much a 50/50 as far as accuracy goes

1. Sherbrooke (9)
2. Ottawa (4)
3. Moncton (HM)
4. Portland (NR)
5. Everett (NR)
6. London (1)
7. Chicoutimi (2)
8. Edmonton (8)
9. Saginaw (7)
10. Spokane (NR)

Hats off to Moncton, Portland and Everett for having great years and out-performing expectations.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
ICYMI:

Brock Otten put out his 2020 OHL priority select mock draft for rounds 1 AND 2.

OHL Prospects: 2020 OHL Priority Selection Mock Draft

Has us selecting Frank Nazar at 18, and Lorenzo Bonaiuto at 31.

Would be ok with the Nazar pick. Drinkell has been able to find guys past round 1 that are round 1 quality (bloom, Davis, Millman, Cardwell). We can wait a year or two for Nazar if he can hit on round 2 or later.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Don’t like the idea of taking someone committed to USDTP with a First Round selection. The kid looks awesome but I wouldn’t risk it till 3rd round similar to Duke in last years draft.

I read the Mock Draft and it looks like another year that is top heavy with forwards with not a lot of D to chose from.

So what do we really need for next year? From what I can tell we need right handed D as well as some help at RW

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
What's the story with Turcotte now that he has signed with LA Kings? Is he allowed to come to Saginaw if the Kings want him to or does he have to go back to University? Not sure the rules on this one

bcspirit

Jan 10, 2013
North America
What's the story with Turcotte now that he has signed with LA Kings? Is he allowed to come to Saginaw if the Kings want him to or does he have to go back to University? Not sure the rules on this one
He signed a pro contract and received compensation(i.e.signing bonus) he is ineligible for NCAA play. He could play in any league that L.A. assigns him to AHL, ECHL, OHL.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
He signed a pro contract and received compensation(i.e.signing bonus) he is ineligible for NCAA play. He could play in any league that L.A. assigns him to AHL, ECHL, OHL.

Didn’t realize that is how it works. Thank you. So what are the odds he lands in the following ...

1. NHL
2. AHL
3. ECHL
4. OHL

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Probably 70-30 between 1 & 2. He went 5th overall just like Hayton the year prior, but is eligible to play AHL unlike Hayton the year prior. You won't see him in the O.

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019
Don’t like the idea of taking someone committed to USDTP with a First Round selection. The kid looks awesome but I wouldn’t risk it till 3rd round similar to Duke in last years draft.

I read the Mock Draft and it looks like another year that is top heavy with forwards with not a lot of D to chose from.

So what do we really need for next year? From what I can tell we need right handed D as well as some help at RW

the people involved did a decent job in that mock draft but the actual draft will look nothing like it. Way too many US players that have no intentions of coming to the ohl. Truth be told the draft is much stronger in quality D then FWDs. Sag may get just as good of a D at in the second that will go in the 1st.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Didn’t realize that is how it works. Thank you. So what are the odds he lands in the following ...

1. NHL
2. AHL
3. ECHL
4. OHL

Unless he has the worst agent of all-time, he wouldn't have agreed to sign and therefore forfeited his NCAA eligibility without assurances that he'll be in pro hockey next year I'm sure

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Unless he has the worst agent of all-time, he wouldn't have agreed to sign and therefore forfeited his NCAA eligibility without assurances that he'll be in pro hockey next year I'm sure

Right. He's already shown he can have success against guys that are 21/22/23 and older. He should have a realitivily easy transition to the AHL if he can't make the kings right away. Not holding out hope that he's going to struggle so bad that he gets sent to us.

Think there's other high end guys (like Eamon Powell) to keep an eye on this off season.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
So who are we hoping to land this Saturday? What positional holes need to be targeted first?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
So who are we hoping to land this Saturday? What positional holes need to be targeted first?

Personally after a quick glance at some profiles,

My top 5 for the first round:

1) Matt Jovanovic
2) Alec Leonard
3) Nick Moldenhauer
4) Max Namestnikov
5) Vinny Borgesi

And round 2:

1) Owen Baker
2) Ryan McGuire
3) Cooper Matthews
4) Gavin Brindley
5) Hayden Simpson

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I'm not one who follows u-16 hockey very much, but while looking reading scouting reports on potential draft picks one name that stands out for Saginaw would be Sam Alfano. Big RW who can put the puck in the net is something Saginaw needs right now along with D. Anyone know more about him?

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I like Alfano as well.....my only question mark is his skating. He seems to "get there" in Minor MIdget but the OHL is a different ballgame and skating/speed could be his downfall. Having said that he does address a few big needs (1) Scoring....he can put the puck in the net and we need to replace 40+ goal of Giroux, (2) Size....we are not an overly big team and many of our guys with size and/or grit are OverAgers so depending on who we keep he could help and (3) Right handed shot.....most of our key forwards are Lefties and we are losing Coskey and Buzzy from our right side.

I would absolutely take him if available with our 2nd round pick.....bit of a stretch for 1st round

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I read another that had us taking Nazar who is already committed to USDTP. They stated that we had the luxury because he have a solid team. No disrespect but I totally disagree.....you don't waste a first round pick on someone like that unless you know they are showing up. I think you take a flyer in the 3rd or 4th

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019
I like Alfano as well.....my only question mark is his skating. He seems to "get there" in Minor MIdget but the OHL is a different ballgame and skating/speed could be his downfall. Having said that he does address a few big needs (1) Scoring....he can put the puck in the net and we need to replace 40+ goal of Giroux, (2) Size....we are not an overly big team and many of our guys with size and/or grit are OverAgers so depending on who we keep he could help and (3) Right handed shot.....most of our key forwards are Lefties and we are losing Coskey and Buzzy from our right side.

I would absolutely take him if available with our 2nd round pick.....bit of a stretch for 1st round

he’s going to be Isaac ratcliffe or better. Great pick in 1st especially at the end of the round.

Reactions: Saggy

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Another mock draft to chew on, this one also has us taking an American in round one. This time a defenseman

2020 OHL Priority Selection: Mock Draft

Just read it and I've never seen Chase Pietila play but 52 assists as a defenceman is impressive to say the least. Anyone know anything about the kid? Doesn't say too much about where he is from but he has played for Little Caesars and Honeybaked so I'm thinking/hoping that it might be Michigan. Also, doesn't mention anything about NCAA commitment on Elite Prospects so this could be a good thing.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Wooooooo! Saginaw swing for the fences again and takes Fantilli!

Drinkell has a year to recruit him or London and Kitchener can pay the F up for him. Either way it's a win. Drinkell with the power move.

Reactions: ohloutsider

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Wooooooo! Saginaw swing for the fences again and takes Fantilli!

Drinkell has a year to recruit him or London and Kitchener can pay the F up for him. Either way it's a win. Drinkell with the power move.

Kinda glad you guys took him and this is from a Knights fan. All fans would go into chaos and say Knights manipulates the draft to get their players. This bring more balance to the league. And if London really wants him, they’re gonna have to pay and that’s fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->