Saginaw Spirit 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
At 31, Saginaw takes Matt Jovanovic. Would have liked him in the first so this is great. Thought either him or Isaiah George (who somehow is still available) would be awesome picks. Great job so far.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
So anyone of you Saggy fans wanna do a Connor McMichael for Adam Fantilli trade??

You guys win the OHL Title next year with Suzuki, CMM and Perfetti and we get Fantilli. Everyone wins! But maybe you guys want Fantilli in a year, but by then you might not have Suzuki or Cole Perfetti.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
i like how Drinkell has drafted after round one. I'd rather try to recruit him than trade him at this point and I bet you (based on his strategy over the years) Drinkell would rather recruit him than trade him as well.

Reactions: tjziel

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
i like how Drinkell has drafted after round one. I'd rather try to recruit him than trade him at this point and I bet you (based on his strategy over the years) Drinkell would rather recruit him than trade him as well.

No doubt and that makes sense, just thought I’d throw out a decent trade offer that would makes sense for both teams. And for all those people that say “London manipulates the draft”. Well this is a win-win for both teams.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
What happens if he is a no show? I know we can trade him but if we don’t do we get some sort of compensatory picks or something ?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
What happens if he is a no show? I know we can trade him but if we don’t do we get some sort of compensatory picks or something ?

If he wont show and Saginaw declares him defected Saginaw gets the 19th pick next season. Plus whatever picks they get in a trade for him

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Not if he goes to ushl...Chicago to play with his brother

If they declare him defected they get the comp pick. Doesnt matter where he plays. They can trade him at that point for additional picks (conditional picks on him signing) or just let his rights lapse.

Now I dont think they do that. I think he comes to the OHL after 1 season. Now if it's to Saginaw, who knows, but they would be able to trade him to London or whoever they want for a Kings randsom.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
So let's assume that he is a no-show for sake of argument......what does our lineup look like? Sees that Kingpin and bcsprague have some of the better insights so why don't you guys take a crack at it.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Picking Fantilli is actually a not so bad move. It costs you a first-round pick this year at worst BUT gains you a first-round pick next year when the draft may be deeper. Also if he decides he wants to play in the OHL he has only one choice and you guys are it. Trade can net you up to 5 picks total if you look at the deal that Kingston made with London it was a great boost for the D|Fronts organization.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
So let's assume that he is a no-show for sake of argument......what does our lineup look like? Sees that Kingpin and bcsprague have some of the better insights so why don't you guys take a crack at it.

As far as the guys we just drafted goes, based on what Drinkell is saying in the summary below, Jovanovic, Klein, and Baker could be the rookies we see in the line up next season. Oke could be back up in 2021/22. They'll work on Fantilli for a year and go from there. And Pietela is probably a long shot considering just about everyone else in that family has gone to Michigan Tech.

Saginaw Spirit swing for fences, pick star Adam Fantilli in 2020 OHL Draft

Also like Drinkell said, it sucks that we couldn't bring these guys in for a playoff game and really sell them on us fresh from the draft. Was interesting that he said we've had a few of these guys visit already so there is that seed planted.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
The GM of the Dogs was on local radio this morning. He said he and the GM of the Spirit had already spoken last night. He pretty much said there will be a trade for Adam's brother Luca.

He didn’t mention the asking price.

Reactions: the dog

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Thanks Saginaw...for NOT leting London have him.

You're welcome I guess?

I've seen these kind of thank yous here and on twitter and it's kind of funny. With the way we've been able to recruit, why aren't more people screaming that WE took Fantilli? We've been right there with the Knights with breaking NCAA commits. Suddenly it's not a league conspiracy that Saginaw takes the number one guy? Ok.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Picking Fantilli is actually a not so bad move. It costs you a first-round pick this year at worst BUT gains you a first-round pick next year when the draft may be deeper. Also if he decides he wants to play in the OHL he has only one choice and you guys are it. Trade can net you up to 5 picks total if you look at the deal that Kingston made with London it was a great boost for the D|Fronts organization.

I feel like most people don't understand how the comp pick situation works. You only get the comp pick if you claim him defected, which means you can't wait until next year and find out if he picked OHL or NCAA. So either you claim him defected before the season starts and get the comp pick or you wait until after next season and see what he decides.

I assume if you're drafting him in the 1st round then you're going to keep his rights and see what he decides to do, hoping he picks OHL, but that means you would not get a comp pick because you wouldn't be claiming him defected. Thats what Sarnia did with Weiss, then he picked NCAA so Sarnia got nothing and just wasted their 1st rounder

I'm not saying its a bad move by SAG, but you can't wait until next year to see what he decides and also claim him defected and get the comp pick. It's one or the other.

Reactions: the dog

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
As far as the guys we just drafted goes, based on what Drinkell is saying in the summary below, Jovanovic, Klein, and Baker could be the rookies we see in the line up next season. Oke could be back up in 2021/22. They'll work on Fantilli for a year and go from there. And Pietela is probably a long shot considering just about everyone else in that family has gone to Michigan Tech.

Saginaw Spirit swing for fences, pick star Adam Fantilli in 2020 OHL Draft

Also like Drinkell said, it sucks that we couldn't bring these guys in for a playoff game and really sell them on us fresh from the draft. Was interesting that he said we've had a few of these guys visit already so there is that seed planted.

He signed with the USHL today

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Wooooooo! Saginaw swing for the fences again and takes Fantilli!

Drinkell has a year to recruit him or London and Kitchener can pay the F up for him. Either way it's a win. Drinkell with the power move.

Just London, if Kitchener wanted him and thought he was worth the risk or had some cooked deal they would have just picked him no?

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Let’s play it out. If we were forced to trade with Niagara to get the other Fantilli brother so he would report what do you think we should give up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad