Saginaw Spirit 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Just players in general in the 01/02 group there’s:

Saginaw-Perfetti, Suzuki, Duhart, Baber, Bulovs, Millman, Smith, Lennox

Soo-Carroll, Dickinson, Kartye, Kerins, Mackay, Pytlik, Johnston, Calisti, Constantinou, O’rourke, Halashuk, Malik

Windsor-Cuylle, Foudy, Afanasyev, D’Amico, Maggio, McDonald, Henault, Ladd, Robinson, Medina

Flint-Keppen, Morgan, Oksentyuk, Piercey, Pierce, Gretz, Koly, Harper, Cavallin, Grainer (plus they probably have one the better OA groups in the league potentially).

Sarnia-Burke, Guy, Hill Perrault, Rees, Saye, Hjorth, Kamerrer, Nollet, Ressor, Lanaveign

Soo, Flint, and Windsor can all add to their core groups. We’re going to have a hard time doing the same. In a one game series where no one has made moves, yeah, Perfetti/Suzuki/Millman/Lennox have a good chance. Over the course of a 68 games season? A season where guys miss time, especially good ones for camp/tournies/injuries/suspensions, where other teams that can, will add to their cores, no. I would not have us at the top of that group. I’d have these teams in the same order I had them before, unless some massive changes happen.
I think Brendan Othmann is going to have a big year for Flint as well. Flint, more than likely will have Wismer or McCourt or both too. If Tucker is returned, Flint will be battling for a division championship again.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I think Brendan Othmann is going to have a big year for Flint as well. Flint, more than likely will have Wismer or McCourt or both too. If Tucker is returned, Flint will be battling for a division championship again.

I think you are going to have some issue keeping goals out of your net. A combination of Cavallin and Grainer or Nixon just doesnt sound like Championship material.

Size/Toughness is a little concerning as well with many players quite slight Kessler (5'8), Giroux (5'4), Lomabardi (5'7) and even Oksentyuk (5'7).

I think you are a solid playoff team though all the same

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I think you are going to have some issue keeping goals out of your net. A combination of Cavallin and Grainer or Nixon just doesnt sound like Championship material.

Size/Toughness is a little concerning as well with many players quite slight Kessler (5'8), Giroux (5'4), Lomabardi (5'7) and even Oksentyuk (5'7).

I think you are a solid playoff team though all the same
You had concerns about Flint last year too and they turned out pretty good. I am not as big on Cavallin as others. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded for a veteran goaltender like last year

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
You had concerns about Flint last year too and they turned out pretty good. I am not as big on Cavallin as others. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded for a veteran goaltender like last year

Flint had a great year....most improved Team. Make a solid goalie trade and you could challenge.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Coskey and Jenkins sign with NYI. Weird OHL career for Jenkins. Doesn’t come year 1, never hit a point per game yet won’t be back for his OA season

Reactions: Saggy

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Coskey and Jenkins sign with NYI. Weird OHL career for Jenkins. Doesn’t come year 1, never hit a point per game yet won’t be back for his OA season

So Antropov, King, and Katic are likely the 3 to start the season as OA's, but I'd keep an eye on Blade. He could start out in ECHL and then be sent back later if the Islanders feel he'll be better served in junior like Markus Phillips for the kings this past season.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
So Antropov, King, and Katic are likely the 3 to start the season as OA's, but I'd keep an eye on Blade. He could start out in ECHL and then be sent back later if the Islanders feel he'll be better served in junior like Markus Phillips for the kings this past season.

Yzerman was talking yesterday about what happens if the AHL doesnt play next year. So I think that's a possibility that is out there. Lots of balls still rolling before we see who will be on CHL rosters for next season.

Honestly I can see Antropov having a Hayden Hodgeson like jump his OA season points wise. Especially of he is given the gunner spot on the Perfetti-Suzuki line

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Do you really think Antropov is the most suitable for that line? Not sure he has the hands .....then again who are our options? Any thoughts ?

Congrats to Blade by the way....good for him

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Do you really think Antropov is the most suitable for that line? Not sure he has the hands .....then again who are our options? Any thoughts ?

Congrats to Blade by the way....good for him

I've said before, if Bloom felt comfortable on his off wing he would be the perfect candidate for the spot he has the shot, playmaking, speed, and size to dominate on that line with those 2. I dont know about Antro's hands, but I think he has a decent enough shot to score on passes from Cole and Ryan. Could see Saginaw trying to swing for the fences on an import as well to play on that line. For a kid who is draft eligible what better pitch can you make than riding shotgun on a line with 2 1st round picks.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Bloom is a solid candidate as he did play the last month on both Left and Right Wing positions.

what about Fleming? I know next to nothing about him but he did play with Suzuki in London.

Antropov, Katic, Bloom, Codd, Duhart, Baber, Fleming....whoever they put there will win the lottery as far as line mates go.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Bloom is a solid candidate as he did play the last month on both Left and Right Wing positions.

what about Fleming? I know next to nothing about him but he did play with Suzuki in London.

Antropov, Katic, Bloom, Codd, Duhart, Baber, Fleming....whoever they put there will win the lottery as far as line mates go.

Everything I've read about Fleming (havent seen him play) says hes more of a bottom 6/grinder type at the OHL level. Who knows what can happen over a summer though. Lots of options for that line and with Jenkins gone, gonna be some opportunity for alot of ice time on that second line/PP as well.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
The Spirit have been top 5 over the past decade (2009-2019 drafts) at recruiting the Americans they draft high to come

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Nice !! I think we got a solid player that needs a fresh start. I havent seem much of his game as he is in the East but going in first round #9 overall must mean there is something there to work with. Also fills our D void without using an import spot......now we can use it to target a first line RW or second line C in the import draft (assuming there still is one).

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Nice !! I think we got a solid player that needs a fresh start. I havent seem much of his game as he is in the East but going in first round #9 overall must mean there is something there to work with. Also fills our D void without using an import spot......now we can use it to target a first line RW or second line C in the import draft (assuming there still is one).

Is Solovyov expected to be back next year or will he be back in Europe playing pro?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Is Solovyov expected to be back next year or will he be back in Europe playing pro?

A week ago I would have said he would be back in Europe or lower tier American pro. With Jenkins being likely gone now I could definitely see him getting a spot if they can move one of Antropov or Katic

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019

Rumour I heard was if he wasnt playing in the AHL then he was heading to Europe. Personally, with Wilde and Webb gone I'd love to have him back.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Anyone hear anything about the Import Draft? Seems to be ZERO mentions about this anywhere....

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Anyone hear anything about the Import Draft? Seems to be ZERO mentions about this anywhere....

Could be waiting for the NHL Draft to be determined. Before covid hit, the import date was set for Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Last edited:

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
So we are losing our Captain and quite a few Alternate/Assistant Captains as well. What do you think the leadership team will look like next year.

My thoughts are you need someone vocal and who has been around for a while as Captain. No disrespect to Perfetti but still young and I've heard he is quite quiet in the wrong and doesn't say much. My vote goes to King to wear the "C" with Perfetti and Suzuki wearing "A"s.....probably two more will get "A"s as well.

What are your thoughts??

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
So we are losing our Captain and quite a few Alternate/Assistant Captains as well. What do you think the leadership team will look like next year.

My thoughts are you need someone vocal and who has been around for a while as Captain. No disrespect to Perfetti but still young and I've heard he is quite quiet in the wrong and doesn't say much. My vote goes to King to wear the "C" with Perfetti and Suzuki wearing "A"s.....probably two more will get "A"s as well.

What are your thoughts??

it’s dumb but being captain matters as a status thing so I think Perfetti gets it. Also to say to him okay we need you to step up and take over this team, it’s yours now. My guess for A’s would be Suzuki/Millman/King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad