Saginaw Spirit 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Again the 3rd period we were outplayed. Out shot Oshawa 38 to 28 but were outplayed 11-6 in shots in the 3rd. This has happened to much already this season. Time for Lazary to get some blame because he has to correct why this is happening. Six shots in the 3rd, Millman taking a stupid 4 minute penalty that took the wind from our sails for a chance to comeback.
The sooner we can get a top center then you will see a much stronger team. Perfetti needs to start burying the puck. Coskey and Giroux are the only consistent scorers at the moment. Jenkins, Porco, Perfetti have 5 goals between them. Maybe in a few more games if we don't change things around it is time to shake things up and move some bodies. Plenty of time to get things done properly but we need more intensity in the third period. Can't blame goaltending when we put up 6 shots.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Yes, its early but why not fix things early. Millman needs to step up in a huge way and get back to the basics. Perfetti needs a center to play with him and then he will get back to where he left off last year. I would trade Porco and picks for a quality center.

And why doesn't Coskey have a letter on his jersey!! 5th year player and leads by example, give the guy a letter!!

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Can you trade right now or have to wait for some date? When is the trade deadline? Also, who are you allowed to trade (outside of kids with no trade clauses)…….I thought I read something about you could trade anyone from year 2 onward but not rookies? Not sure that is correct though

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
1 - The only 16 year old you can trade is your first round pick, and even then you can only trade them at the trade deadline.
2 - You can't trade imports that were picked in the most recent import draft until the trade deadline.
3 - Some players have no trade clauses, and so can veto potential trades.

Other than that, I think it's sky's the limit.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I've said it before and I'll say it again, no need to panic people. We are only 8 games into the season, most teams are even less games in. Noone is making blockbuster deals right now for a top line center because teams are still seeing what they are working with.

On Perfetti: Sure he only has his one empty net goal, but his shooting % will come back to normal over the course of the season. He's still shooting the puck just snake bitten right now by goalies and posts. Not to mention, even with his personal goal scoring slump and the perceived slumping of his team mates he actually has increased his PPG from last year.

Millman: Trying to hard to be Bode Wilde imo. Luckily the new import has taken mantle on the 1st PP to help out till Mason figures it out. Needs to worry less about offense and just play the game he did last season.

I still think there's a chance Bode comes back due to his injury. Prosvetov was scratched last night in the AHL as well. I think both may get some pro games this season, but the draw of not losing a contract year could loom over both.

Give it till November and see where we are at and then look for moves. If some reason either Bode or Prosvetov get sent back we would essentially be adding a top player in the league at their position for free. Then a couple of depth moves and one splash could easily put this team over the top.

Reactions: Finster8

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
1 - The only 16 year old you can trade is your first round pick, and even then you can only trade them at the trade deadline.
2 - You can't trade imports that were picked in the most recent import draft until the trade deadline.
3 - Some players have no trade clauses, and so can veto potential trades.

Other than that, I think it's sky's the limit.
Kids in High School also get a NTC - until they are finished school, which for most is their 2nd year.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Can you trade right now or have to wait for some date? When is the trade deadline? Also, who are you allowed to trade (outside of kids with no trade clauses)…….I thought I read something about you could trade anyone from year 2 onward but not rookies? Not sure that is correct though

Coskey is a leader regardless of the letter that isn't on his jersey. Some guys lead by example and that is Cole. 4+ years in the league gives you that respect amongst your peers, not to mention he has earned it. For me it was last year and how he came back from a serious jaw injury. Most players would have been out the remainder of the season. Coskey came back and play very well considering he had no time for rehabilitation. Keep up the good work. Go Spirit!!
Edit-wrong quote SaginawFan post 202

Last edited:

Saginaw 2019

Sep 23, 2018
Coskey is a leader regardless of the letter that isn't on his jersey. Some guys lead by example and that is Cole. 4+ years in the league gives you that respect amongst your peers, not to mention he has earned it. For me it was last year and how he came back from a serious jaw injury. Most players would have been out the remainder of the season. Coskey came back and play very well considering he had no time for rehabilitation. Keep up the good work. Go Spirit!!
Edit-wrong quote SaginawFan post 202
Ok, if this game doesn’t put things in order, we need to really play the best talent with each other and go from there , we struggle 5 on 5 , you can’t have 1-2 kids on each line that see the ice and make plays , you need all 3 , we need 2 centers bottom line , move Jenkins to left wing and this team will be solid and make a run , out lead announcer said Cole perffittie would score 100 pts , he is a solid player , has great creativity, but if no one can create for him he won’t score , he lacks speed and strength so needs players to feed him the puck , and playing with Coskey will help him put the puck in net , it’s pretty simple math

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Some of the older guys simply are not getting it done. Can’t understand why you wouldn’t get more rookies into the lineup. Let them have a chance to challenge some of these vets that are wasting shifts and simply not getting it done .

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Some of the older guys simply are not getting it done. Can’t understand why you wouldn’t get more rookies into the lineup. Let them have a chance to challenge some of these vets that are wasting shifts and simply not getting it done .

Oshawa & Peterborough are big physical veteran teams, rookies getting into their first games against them could very well have their development slowed due to injury

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
So much going wrong at this moment.
1. We can't play 60 minutes our 3rd period has been beyond bad.
2. Our goal output inconsistent with Porco, Perfetti, Jenkins, Goldowski, Baber and Codd have scored as many goals as Giroux, combined.
3. Millmañ was or #1 D going into the season but needs to stick to playing to his strengths. See as far as Bode coming back would be awesome if not an extra D or 2 s needed.
4. Move some guys trade and add a center before Perfetti is a 2nd Rd pick. We need not to panic just try and make calculated moves to bring in some fresh bodies to stimulate some energy to get things done.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
I notice Connor Punnett has played 4 of the team's 9 games. Is this due to injury, "coach's decision", or a bit of both?

Sagman

Nov 27, 2018
Is it possible that this team and many of its players are over rated? Call me crazy but I always thought Webb was the best d-man. There needs to be some value to playing defense unlike the so called number 1 above. I don't believe perfetti is overated but the rest outside of Coskey and Budseker are either inconsistent or streaky at best. I think what we have is a team that will be good at times and not so good at others. Thoughts?

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Finster,
Perfetti may go real high in the draft but he will be in Saginaw next year. Size, and more importantly speed ,are not there as of yet.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Heard Porco requested trade ? Any truth to that ? Porco and Laz just don’t seem to be on same page

Saginaw 2019

Sep 23, 2018
Heard Porco requested trade ? Any truth to that ? Porco and Laz just don’t seem to be on same page
Porco has been given every opportunity playing with some of the best players on Saginaw for the last 2 years , yes this kid has nhl speed but aaa hockey iq, the day over using your speed beating everyone wide and scoring is over , needs to learn how to be able to slow down the game , he doesn’t create any offensive scoring for his line mates, next game you will see different line ups as there should be , we lack scoring in a 5 on 5 game
10 games left to see what Saginaw does , if bode and Ivan do not come back this team we be selling

Reactions: KnightsWatch

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
So what do you think lineups look like? Is Porco even playing or sitting while awaiting trade?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Porco has been given every opportunity playing with some of the best players on Saginaw for the last 2 years , yes this kid has nhl speed but aaa hockey iq, the day over using your speed beating everyone wide and scoring is over , needs to learn how to be able to slow down the game , he doesn’t create any offensive scoring for his line mates, next game you will see different line ups as there should be , we lack scoring in a 5 on 5 game
10 games left to see what Saginaw does , if bode and Ivan do not come back this team we be selling

This. Porco can rush the puck up ice as good as anyone in the league, but once the puck is on his stick in the offensive zone, its like a black hole.

Sagman

Nov 27, 2018
Perfetti/baber/Coskey
Jenkins/giroux/golden
Porco/Ethan/Katic
If you ask me, the team is about where they should be. Maybe a couple of games better. Lineup is thin. When you add the D pairings it's even thinner. You could use 2 strong D (assuming Bode comes back) and a strong center who could skate. Porco is a deep hole ( I don't care about his rushing ability1). The 99's, 00's and o1's need to step up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad