Dreger: Sabres want 1st, conditional pick, roster player, prospect for E. Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Uh, Duchene still had term on his contract when he was traded. Those two are terrible comparisons.

It's not abut term or comparing contracts or even the respective asks. I am not comparing Duchene and Kane's respective value*.

Sakic determined his asking price and he didn't budge unless he got it. Botterill has determined his asking price, some GM could surprise a lot of people by paying it.

* Frankly, I thought Duchene wasn't worth the price and am on record posting many times I hoped my favorite team would not pay it. I don't think Kane is worth the ask either, but it doesn't matter. Some GM might pay it just like Dorion paid Sakic's price AND if they do then that's his value.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
It's not abut term or comparing contracts or even the respective asks. I am not comparing Duchene and Kane's respective value*.

Sakic determined his asking price and he didn't budge unless he got it. Botterill has determined his asking price, some GM could surprise a lot of people by paying it.

* Frankly, I thought Duchene wasn't worth the price and am on record posting many times I hoped my favorite team would not pay it. I don't think Kane is worth the ask either, but it doesn't matter. Some GM might pay it just like Dorion paid Sakic's price AND if they do then that's his value.
Unfortunately term matters in this case because in two days Buffalo gets nothing. This reminds me of the Vanek situation a few years ago with the Islanders where the GM was asking for the moon up until the deadline and Vanek went for a 2nd round pick to Montreal at the last possible minute.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
But again, the big difference is, if nobody bites by tomorrow, Botterill essentially loses Kane for free. Sakic had the luxury of time to wait out and see if anyone would get desperate enough to bite on the offer.

Maybe someone will make a panic offer at Kane. I don't claim to know or have any sort of insider information. But if they don't, that makes Butterbean's ask a bit ridiculous, no?

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
His Jets teammates did.
And his Sabres teammates love him, aside from our 9D Justin Falk. He's best bros with Jack.

He is not going to disrupt any locker room no matter how many fans of different teams who've seen 4 sabres games since Kane got here post that he will do so from some basement 2,000 miles away from Buffalo.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
And his Sabres teammates love him, aside from our 9D Justin Falk. He's best bros with Jack.

He is not going to disrupt any locker room no matter how many fans of different teams who've seen 4 sabres games since Kane got here post that he will do so from some basement 2,000 miles away from Buffalo.
If he's so beloved by his teammates & the fans it's funny the Sabres never offered him a contract.
I have a feeling that after he's finally traded for much less than the ask the Sabre fans will still call the acquiring team suckers & rejoice that they are rid of him.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
If he's so beloved by his teammates & the fans it's funny the Sabres never offered him a contract.
I have a feeling that after he's finally traded for much less than the ask the Sabre fans will still call the acquiring team suckers & rejoice that they are rid of him.
How hard is this for some of you to understand? They dont have the room to extend Kane for much money considering what theyre already paying Eichel, ROR, Okposo, Risto and dud money in Poms, Moulson & Bogo with Reinhart needing a new deal also. Not rocket science.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
He wasn't offered a contract because the Sabres are in such bad shape. He is the kind of player that should be added to a good team and the kind of player that can fill the pieces where the sabres have holes. The defence is in such bad shape he will be flipped for help.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
How hard is this for some of you to understand? They dont have the room to extend Kane for much money considering what theyre already paying Eichel, ROR, Okposo, Risto and dud money in Poms, Moulson & Bogo with Reinhart needing a new deal also. Not rocket science.
some people have a hard time grasping salary cap era.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
But again, the big difference is, if nobody bites by tomorrow, Botterill essentially loses Kane for free. Sakic had the luxury of time to wait out and see if anyone would get desperate enough to bite on the offer.

Maybe someone will make a panic offer at Kane. I don't claim to know or have any sort of insider information. But if they don't, that makes Butterbean's ask a bit ridiculous, no?

There's also the whole 6 points in 2018 distinction, but in Kane's defense, he does have twice as many points in February.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He wasn't offered a contract because the Sabres are in such bad shape. He is the kind of player that should be added to a good team and the kind of player that can fill the pieces where the sabres have holes. The defence is in such bad shape he will be flipped for help.

I've said this before but what the above kind of post is missing is that in July of 2017 Buffalo fans here at least didn't think they were in bad shape. In August in September after adding Scandella and Beaulieu (who many of you were pretty high on) there was a lot of talk here about how they'd be in the mix for the playoffs. At that point many of you were saying Risto was alreaday a #1 or at worst a #2, that Scandella and Beaulieu were 2nd pairing guys, that Bogo when healthy was a 2nd pairing guy, that Guhle would make the team and be a solid bottom pairing guy with sky potential, and that Antipin would be top 4.

So yeah offering him a contract on Feb. 25 might be dumb for BUFF.... 5 months ago it wouldn't have seemed it.

Yet they didn't.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
The Sabres are a basement team with a bunch of crippling contracts, and Kane is gone anyway. We can't add a 7x6 or whatever it would cost, for a guy who misses games because of his playstyle, when we're already so bad with 6 mil tied up in Okposo for 5 more years, and the Bogosian/Moulson/Pominville disaster contracts. It doesn't fit where this team is, and that's all there is to it. Seriously.

Reactions: Yatzhee

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I've said this before but what the above kind of post is missing is that in July of 2017 Buffalo fans here at least didn't think they were in bad shape. In August in September after adding Scandella and Beaulieu (who many of you were pretty high on) there was a lot of talk here about how they'd be in the mix for the playoffs. At that point many of you were saying Risto was alreaday a #1 or at worst a #2, that Scandella and Beaulieu were 2nd pairing guys, that Bogo when healthy was a 2nd pairing guy, that Guhle would make the team and be a solid bottom pairing guy with sky potential, and that Antipin would be top 4.

So yeah offering him a contract on Feb. 25 might be dumb for BUFF.... 5 months ago it wouldn't have seemed it.

Yet they didn't.
What fans think and what is reality is two different things. I think the sabres just see spending their money differently and they don't give a crap what posters here think. I never wanted him signed because I didn't want 6m tied up in him when the defence is a disaster.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
Would Sam Morin, Isaac Ratcliffe, the lower of our 2 first round picks, and a 5th round pick for Evander Kane sound reasonable?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

this is 100% false

there was no rush or clamor to dfa falk after the incident, if Kane was universally loved and adored in that locker room there would have been repercussions and there werent any

the answer is you dont know how they feel, only one player has said anything

a #9 D is worth so little that if Kane was loved in the clubhouse, Falk would have been cut so fast youd forget he ever existed. last I looked falk is still there and playing

its comments like yours that tell me there is a problem. why try so hard to say there isnt if there wasnt

Last edited:

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
this is 100% false

there was no rush or clamor to dfa falk after the incident, if Kane was universally loved and adored in that locker room there would have been repercussions and there werent any

the answer is you dont know how they feel, only one player has said anything

Wow, two teammates barked at each other during a practice and since the depth player wasn't immediately dfa'd, it's "100%" proven that the other player is not liked by the rest of the team. That's absolute gold. If this were the case, there would be a dozen guys being dfa'd every day! C'mon now.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Wow, two teammates barked at each other during a practice and since the depth player wasn't immediately dfa'd, it's "100%" proven that the other player is not liked by the rest of the team. That's absolute gold. If this were the case, there would be a dozen guys being dfa'd every day! C'mon now.
read what he called him thats not your typical "2 team mates barking"

“Shut the [expletive] up, you selfish [expletive],” Buffalo defenceman Justin Falk screamed at Evander Kane before shoving the Sabres’ star winger during a Wednesday practice, as heard by the Olean Times Herald’s Bill Hoppe

if it was your typical teammates barking an experienced journalist wouldnt have reported it. it wouldnt be newsworthy, obviously Hoppe felt otherwise

next will come the Hoppe isnt credible claim but save it, thats what i mean by sabres fans trying too hard. the best bet is to admit he's got issues but he's a fantastic hockey player, at least thats honest

Honesty has value, but denying to a point of incredulity makes people run away

Last edited:

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
How about Kane to the Wild for another go around of Ennis and Foligno, we'll pretend the whole thing never happened and I can hate the Wild even more

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
read what he called him thats not your typical "2 team mates barking"

“Shut the [expletive] up, you selfish [expletive],” Buffalo defenceman Justin Falk screamed at Evander Kane before shoving the Sabres’ star winger during a Wednesday practice, as heard by the Olean Times Herald’s Bill Hoppe

Oh, well if there were expletives tossed around...

Reactions: Mimsy

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
He is 45-48pts at best with zero playoff experience. Makes me wonder who will pay that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad