Dreger: Sabres want 1st, conditional pick, roster player, prospect for E. Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He's been either accused or charged of either assaulting or sexually assaulting 4 different people including 3 women in the last 2 years.

Nobody gives a **** about the 'money phone' thing from like 6 years ago. They do give a **** about him choking a woman on video two summers ago.

This is in addition to numerous incidents with teammates and coaches.

Yeah this. I like the money phone and tracksuits, believe me, but the ladychoking I don't. Not really comparable to PK's situation.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
This is going to be like the Thomas Vanek situation a few years ago. Botteril asks for the moon, doesn't get it and trades him for a song
Kane will return what the market dictates. Buffalo will either get what they are asking for or have to come down - likely come down but will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Not that it matters for this trade as it is different times in the season, different players, and different GMs.... but it was the NYI who got beans back for Vanek. Buffalo did quite well when they moved Vanek to the New York Islanders for Matt Moulson, a first-round draft pick in 2014 and a second-rounder in 2015. They actually traded Moulson too after that. Resigning him was a mistake.

Reactions: Mimsy and Yatzhee

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
He can ask for all he wants. Kane isn't worth that much, ESPECIALLY as a rental. 1st and a prospect, sure though.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Some of these comments in here are downright disparaging and uncalled for.

Anyone who is questioning Kane's character or work ethic have clearly not been paying attention to him the last two years. He's been an exemplary teammate who busts his *** nearly every shift (despite some ill-advised playmaking at times) and been positively and proactively engaged in the community.

With his motor, snarl and scoring touch, EK is exactly the kind of player you want for a playoff push, and I'll be bandwagonning for whoever grabs him.

He has value as a player. He's a good shooter and like you said is physical.

But the crap about being an exemplary teammate is just pure trash. You've omitted that he's been called selfish by a teammate. You omitted that he was disciplined for not returning to the team after going to the NBA All Star game last year. You've omitted 2 serparate incidents that required police investigations, lawyers and at the utmost "best case" scenario show a player who has yet to mature and show good judgement and commitment to his team, and at worst is criminal.

So it's fine if a GM wants to add him because he thinks he can score goals. The old line about NFL coaches- If Jeffrey Dahmer ran a 4.2 4o he'd get signed and they'd simply say he has an eating disorder.... is true for the NHL too.

2 NHL teams have dealt or walked away from him rather than keeping him long term.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Kane will return what the market dictates. Buffalo will either get what they are asking for or have to come down - likely come down but will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Not that it matters for this trade as it is different times in the season, different players, and different GMs.... but it was the NYI who got beans back for Vanek. Buffalo did quite well when they moved Vanek to the New York Islanders for Matt Moulson, a first-round draft pick in 2014 and a second-rounder in 2015. They actually traded Moulson too after that. Resigning him was a mistake.

I knew it was Snow, I just feel the situation is similar

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Look at all the Kane haters......

Let the hate flow......
I swear to you buddy theres no hate here. you just have to recognize that any team thats looking at any player focuses on the negative. just like any team doing the selling focuses on the positive, its the nature of the beast. dont let it get you down. you especially are too good for that

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I swear to you buddy theres no hate here. you just have to recognize that any team thats looking at any player focuses on the negative. just like any team doing the selling focuses on the positive, its the nature of the beast. dont let it get you down. you especially are too good for that
I know, let me have my fun at least :)

Reactions: 72hockey guy

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
ok i was honestly just worried for my friend. its hard to tell sometimes
No worries, I'm res8gned to the fact further changes are coming for the Sabres.
To be honest, and those Sabres fans who will tell, when Pegula started the tear down for a complete rebuild, i said 5 years. Its year 3 since Reinhart. I'm concerned, as I get older, will I at least see a cup run again?

Everyone hears the cliche, its thick skin to be a Buffalo sports fan, but as for my life long passion of hockey, yea, its a tough pill to swallow.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
He's been either accused or charged of either assaulting or sexually assaulting 4 different people including 3 women in the last 2 years.

Nobody gives a **** about the 'money phone' thing from like 6 years ago. They do give a **** about him choking a woman on video two summers ago.

This is in addition to numerous incidents with teammates and coaches.

"accused". Pretty sure Patrick Kane was accused of the same thing as have other players.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I will reiterate what has been said before. It's clear many people in here have never actually had to have a serious negotiation in their lives. The general rule is to start at double what you will settle for. GMJB knows he won't get that price but you need to start with the bar high otherwise you don't have any room for negotiation when someone low balls you to start. I suspect the first offers he received were in the realm of a 3rd round pick which is equally laughable but not unexpected.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I will reiterate what has been said before. It's clear many people in here have never actually had to have a serious negotiation in their lives. The general rule is to start at double what you will settle for. GMJB knows he won't get that price but you need to start with the bar high otherwise you don't have any room for negotiation when someone low balls you to start. I suspect the first offers he received were in the realm of a 3rd round pick which is equally laughable but not unexpected.
I prefer raging incoherently and making myself look like an idiot, but thanks.

Reactions: dire wolf

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
No worries, I'm res8gned to the fact further changes are coming for the Sabres.
To be honest, and those Sabres fans who will tell, when Pegula started the tear down for a complete rebuild, i said 5 years. Its year 3 since Reinhart. I'm concerned, as I get older, will I at least see a cup run again?

Everyone hears the cliche, its thick skin to be a Buffalo sports fan, but as for my life long passion of hockey, yea, its a tough pill to swallow.

Well i became an isles fan in 71, after growing up in a family of ranger fans, at 13 i got pissed off at Gulf and Western trading the players I loved, for all the hated Bruins like Espo and Hodge, so i dumped them for the yet unknown and unexpansion drafted Islanders, and I saw 4 cups as a college student as an intern, (student security intern) its been 34 years since then but im still here.

trust me its worth it its not easy sometimes I admit, but when it finally happens for you, youll be glad you did

Reactions: Yatzhee

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
He has value as a player. He's a good shooter and like you said is physical.

But the crap about being an exemplary teammate is just pure trash. You've omitted that he's been called selfish by a teammate. You omitted that he was disciplined for not returning to the team after going to the NBA All Star game last year. You've omitted 2 serparate incidents that required police investigations, lawyers and at the utmost "best case" scenario show a player who has yet to mature and show good judgement and commitment to his team, and at worst is criminal.

So it's fine if a GM wants to add him because he thinks he can score goals. The old line about NFL coaches- If Jeffrey Dahmer ran a 4.2 4o he'd get signed and they'd simply say he has an eating disorder.... is true for the NHL too.

2 NHL teams have dealt or walked away from him rather than keeping him long term.
Sounds like you could be talking about Patrick Kane ?.....Would you take him ?

Reactions: jetsforever

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
Ah yes, I'm sure he's just a total angel who was terribly unlucky to have 4 different people in 3 different incidents accuse him of assault or sexual assault in less than a year.

I don't make judgements off of accusations. Clearly you do. If he's found guilty then talk about it. People like you are annoying. Jump on your soapbox with 0 proof just "accusations" that you use to fuel your narrative.

I have no dog in this race. What I do dislike his running with an accusation and creating your own story from it. Plenty of accusations are false. Plenty are not. I'll judge him when there is proof that he commited these assaults.

PS: Never called him an angel.

rabi

Feb 27, 2002
Lancaster, NY
Visit site
Sorry.

It will be interesting to see. Does not seem to be consistent year to year. We moved Gaustad for a 1st one year...and...Vanek at the deadline is another datapoint. Couple more days. I'll only be upset if we don't move him. Market will dictate the price paid.
No, it was Gaustad AND A 4TH for a 1st

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I don't make judgements off of accusations. Clearly you do. If he's found guilty then talk about it. People like you are annoying. Jump on your soapbox with 0 proof just "accusations" that you use to fuel your narrative.

I have no dog in this race. What I do dislike his running with an accusation and creating your own story from it. Plenty of accusations are false. Plenty are not. I'll judge him when there is proof that he commited these assaults.

PS: Never called him an angel.

for the most part I agree with your stance but 4 different incidents and 3 different people? at some point you have to think theres some expectation of truth, im not saying convict without proof, but you have to take some precautions nonetheless, if you know the history beforehand and you dont take those precautions, you cant exactly claim youre a victim.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Sounds like you could be talking about Patrick Kane ?.....Would you take him ?

I'm not sure what you are really asking since I don't actually work for a team, so I'm not really "taking" anyone.

As a fan could I root for him?
No

If someone hired me as an NHL GM and I was offred Patrick Kane in a trade would I do it? Can't say yes or no without knowing details but there are a couple of huge differences between Patrick Kane and Evander Kane.

1) Level of actual play. 1 is a dominant scorer who is an elite 1st line talent. The other was played on a 3rd line of a horrible team. CAN EK play higher up? Yeah but in no way is he a true 1st line player, nevermind a league leading scorer.

2) PK has played big time in big time gams. EK hasn't sniffed one.

So whatever point you may think you're making is escaping me.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Becoming very apparent Sabres have massively overplayed their hand.

Funny and not funny at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad