Sabres Trade Targets

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
I would think that because we aren’t looking to be a buyer or a seller, we are looking for a hockey trade. Risto a top 4 D for a top 6 Frwd for example. Has to be money in and money out. And, everyone else thought a surplus of D trade was going to happen in late August?

Then you go ahead and predict an over/under by 2nd week of December? Because 3 more weeks of action really separates the buyers and sellers. This has 0% to do with buying and selling.

You're half right - it has nothing to do with selling - cause nobody is doing that yet... Clearly none of the other GMs are quite ready to throw in the towel & ship out their top-6 scoring forwards (who are still currently needed on their squads), even in a pure 'hockey-trade'. Also, just want to point out our 'surplus' of d-men hasn't really been a surplus at all until the last 2 games, due to multiple rehabs & injuries (Pilut/Bogo/Scandella).

Re; my over/under prediction... The 2nd week of December is significant for a few reasons - first, most teams are at the 30-35 (over 1/3 complete) game mark, which is usually a pretty good indicator of who's going to be selling based on accumulated points.

It's also after Dec 1st, when a bunch of roster/cash bonuses are payed out (Kovy for one...), making contracts more attractive to cash strapped franchises (see CAR).

Lastly, many teams now employ a full roster freeze for the week of Christmas/New Years - if you're planning on making a roster move(s), that 10-day span is prime time to do it before the freeze.

Last edited:
Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Sabres and Wild like trading with each other. Give them something good for Jordan Greenway. Roster needs some physicality from the forwards.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
If Okposo goes on LTIR perm, can we then trade his rights for a draft asset to a cap floor team?

I understand the infactuation with the contract and the cap situation but how do you think a move like that would look like around the league, and to agents, and especially players? We already have a huge hockey image issue to get over moves like that just dig you a deeper hole.

Reactions: DatGuy

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Buy low players are what good GM's take chances on. Being able to identify which players are in a bad situation and have upside in a better situation is what good teams do.

If you watch a game and think "Wow this young player is really good, let's trade for him" that's a player that every scout, GM, fan, Tom, Dick, and Harry can see. That's when you have to over pay. That's what bad GM's don't even do because even they're not that stupid. Over paying for Jordan Greenway would be that bad.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I understand the infactuation with the contract and the cap situation but how do you think a move like that would look like around the league, and to agents, and especially players? We already have a huge hockey image issue to get over moves like that just dig you a deeper hole.
If he's permanently on ltir it won't affect the image at all. It's just a way to retire while still getting paid. He can be traded a million times but he doesn't have to move or anything.
Allowing Okposo to play might be worse for the Sabres in the long run if he dies, his brain damage gets worse or he ends in a state where life becomes almost unbearable. The Franzėn case is seriously depressing. Imagine not being able to play with your kids.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
If Okposo goes on LTIR perm, can we then trade his rights for a draft asset to a cap floor team?

Like, if he is NEVER going to play ever again but doesn't want to walk away from his remaining $14M by retiring a la Savard or Horton?

The problem is that ownership situations have improved & player contracts have inflated so much that there just aren't multiple teams clawing to the floor anymore. CBJ has the most cap room in the entire league and is still only $7M below the cap. At this point, If you're trading KO's contract you're either taking back a bad one (Ladd, Ryan..) or you're literally paying to get rid of it with draft/prospect capital (SEA???). Neither Ladd or Okposo's deals offer enough relief to bother with a buyout either, so we're kinda stuck with it likely. (Fun fact - Ryan is owed more $ & cap hit higher overall but his buyout values are better... Okposo <-> Ryan.... saves OTT $8M cash - Seems like a Melnyk deal - Pegulabucks away!!!)

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

If he's done why would he possibly care which team he isn't playing for? Does Philadelphia have a bad reputation after trading Pronger to Arizona?

Reactions: BananaSquad

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Buy low players are what good GM's take chances on. Being able to identify which players are in a bad situation and have upside in a better situation is what good teams do.

If you watch a game and think "Wow this young player is really good, let's trade for him" that's a player that every scout, GM, fan, Tom, Dick, and Harry can see. That's when you have to over pay. That's what bad GM's don't even do because even they're not that stupid. Over paying for Jordan Greenway would be that bad.

Good luck teaching money ball to people who are primarily concerned with player's body language and perceived confidence levels.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Maybe a bigger deal with the Kings?

Ristolainen
McCabe
Rodrigues
2020 2nd

for

Kempe
Toffoli
Clifford
Grundstrom

Ristolainen and Rodrigues for Kempe and Grundstrom
2nd for Toffoli
McCabe for Clifford

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Maybe a bigger deal with the Kings?

Ristolainen
McCabe
Rodrigues
2020 2nd

for

Kempe
Toffoli
Clifford
Grundstrom

Ristolainen and Rodrigues for Kempe and Grundstrom
2nd for Toffoli
McCabe for Clifford
I like grundstrom and kempe but I don't think risto + erod is even close to what they'd want back. We'd have to add multiple picks. Maybe a 2nd + 4th?

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I do that.
Then there is the question that they're even selling on those two. Grundstrom is probably a non-starter, but maybe we could get kempe for futures without giving up risto. And then there's the whole thing where I don't want to be giving up futures. It's a lose-lose. We just don't have the capital to be good this year, and no amount of trades is gonna change that :(

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
No thanks to Gaudreau unless we can get him for a steal. He disappears the second the other team starts getting physical with him.

Kinda sounds like a forward group that I know but I just can't think of who...

Reactions: Eichel9

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Gaudreau would be a great addition to our team, but the price would be big.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad