Sabres Trade Targets

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I feel like fans are in agreement that the Sabres should be looking to make a move. Who do you think we should be moving, and for what? The roster speculation thread is kinda unwieldy and broad, the main board trade forum ain't great.. so I'd be interested in brainstorming amongst Sabres fans. Who do you want out, who do you want in?

Out:
Vesey (trade him while he still has some value, please. It's not working here, I don't blame Botts for trying it.. but it looks bad. Don't make your mistake worse by insisting on it.)
Sobotka
Erod
McCabe (He ain't great and he's got an A, moving him is probably better than sitting him).
Scandella
Sheary
Picks

In:
Toffoli
Vrana
Zucker
Ehlers

Just a starting point- feel free to make trade proposals, explain why we should keep some of these guys, etc.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Miles Wood: tough and good skater. From Buffalo. Should replace Okposo on the log line. Wood + Girgensons could wreak havoc.

Pageau: Would bring some tenacity to the third line. Not a tough guy but hard to play against unlike Vesey, Sheary etc.

Foligno: Another Buffalo guy, problem is that he has a role on the Wild and might be slightly overpriced.

Would like two of the names above to improve our bottom 6. I know Okposo has a role on the LOG line but imo he holds the line back with his slow skating and I'd rather have him as the extra forward.

For the top 6 Zucker is my favourite option.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
We need a 2/3C to have any shot at the playoffs.
Trade needs to happen soon..... I’m taking a break till a trade happens as I’ve already lost interest in this team that includes Sobotka, Okposo, Erod and Sheary. Zero physicality and no one has each other’s back. Heck even during the dark tank years at least we knew Bogo Cop, Foligno and to a lesser degree Lehner former a team of mutual respect. We were bad, but we had a pack mentality.

Wild: Foligno & Zucker

Kings: Kempe & Toffoli

Jets: Roslovic & Ehlers

Knights: Eakin & Tuch

Devils: Hall & Wood

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Yeah, we're not getting Ehlers or Vrana without parting with something substantial like Cozens or Mittelstadt+. Guys like Anthanasiou. Zucker and Toffoli are much more attainable for obvious reasons.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I really like some of these 'middle 6' guys like Faksa or Pageau. If they are attainable...

Not so much the usual suspect 'top 6' targets which often come up in these discussions.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Duhatschek Notebook: How NHL teams cope after losing a star...

“There are 13 teams in LTIR right now,” Calgary Flames’ general manager Brad Treliving explained. “You’re got more than half the league – 19 teams with two-and-a-half million or less in cap space, so if you’d like to make a deal, the money’s got to work.

“That’s the most difficult thing right now – even if you wanted to trade Joe Smith for Bill Smith, in a lot of cases, you have to try and make it dollar for dollar. There are so many teams who are either at their budget or at the limit in terms of cap space.”

Even more problematic, according to Treliving, is that even if you free up enough of the necessary cap space to make a deal by placing a high-salaried player on LTIR, it doesn’t necessarily mean you should immediately go out and spend that extra dough.

“With those injuries, depending upon the timeline, if a guy is out long term, but he’s coming back at some point, yeah, you may have the LTI space, but you’re going to need the room when the player’s healthy and activated again,” Treliving said. “So it’s hard to say, ‘Joe Smith has left the lineup; he’s at $5 million; now I’m going to use the $5 million elsewhere.’ Well, at some point, Joe Smith’s going to be back. So, it’s not just as simple as saying, ‘I’m going to take his room and use it, because you’re going to need it back.’

It's going to be a challenge for Botts to find a deal that works both from a hockey and a cap perspective.

I know Toffoli is a name that gets thrown out there a lot, but what does the money look like going both ways on a deal that makes sense for the Sabres and the Kings?

Is it something like TT with $1.1M retained for Vlad+sweetener?

Reactions: kummelweck

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Sobotka, Sheary , Vesey, ERod - trade
Risto and Scandella - trade
McCabe is a strange guy, I would not mind his trade, but I do not see how Botts trades him.
We could also naturally add in some deals picks and prospects.

Options:

MIN - Staal, Zucker, Fiala
ANA - Kase, Comtois
DAL - Faksa + Robertson for Risto and small plus, or maybe Risto + Mitts for Hintz +, but this not very realistic.
CGY - Bennett, Frolik. Bennett gives the necessary grit and stiffness, Frolik update over Vesey, Sheary etc.
CBJ - Anderson - but it is likely to cost too much.
LAK - Toffoli, Grundstrom
MTL - Maybe Byron or Lehkonen
NSH - Granlund, Bonino
NJD - Hall? Not sure. Wood and Gusev would be interesting.
NYR - Kreider - but it will be necessary to overpay for rent.
EDM - PoolParty - wild card that might work
OTT - Pageau, Tierney. Pageau more interesting option, but again overpayment for rent.
PIT - Bjugstad - probably not the most attractive option, but it may work.
VGK - Tuch
WSH - Hathaway
WPG - Ehlers, Roslovic, Copp

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
If the only way to make a trade work, and work very well for us is to buy out someone (not okposo, but someone with say onemore year). Would you do it??

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Duhatschek Notebook: How NHL teams cope after losing a star...

It's going to be a challenge for Botts to find a deal that works both from a hockey and a cap perspective.

I know Toffoli is a name that gets thrown out there a lot, but what does the money look like going both ways on a deal that makes sense for the Sabres and the Kings?

Is it something like TT with $1.1M retained for Vlad+sweetener?

I think that if/when it happens then it takes multiple trades with multiple teams.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I see the trade assets as -

Sheary
Vesey
Rodrigues
Scandella
Bogosian (eventually)
Ristolainen or Montour as the biggest piece (probably Ristolainen)
almost any prospect, although I prefer not to add any into a trade

Players like Sobotka, Larsson, Girgensons, Gilmour, Wilson, Nelson, and maybe Bogosian either are probably not getting traded, or don't have any trade value anyway. Buffalo is down a 2nd rd pick each of the next two drafts, so I really don't want to throw in picks to sweeten a deal. I hope to recoup picks from trading Vesey, Sheary, Scandella, and Bogosian, even if they are just 3rd-6th rders.

Change the current roster by making a RHD trade to a team that actually needs a RHD, and target a FW that has term left and under 26. @Jim Bob post verifies what I've already thought - the cap dollars have to work, so any trade idea should be very close to cap neutral. The teams short on RHD are WPG, ANA, LVG, and maybe ARZ. Winnipeg has the Byfuglien situation that still has to be sorted out, so I would think the Ducks and Knights are the most likely teams, maybe the Coyotes also. That means Kase, Rakell, Tuch, Dvorak, Schmaltz.

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
Doh. Total brain fart, forgot there are windows for that. Maybe forcing to send someone down and call up a youngin? You can still save a little doing that right?
ERod is tradable at 2m waiving someone only saves I think 900K? Not enough to do anything.

Personally I don't think its the cap holding up a trade. I think it is Botts inability to make a trade.

Risto + ERod is 7.4m more than enough cap space to bring someone in and take salary on.

The Kings have 5m in cap space a trade is possible. Toffoli is 4.6m

This is just an example I am not saying Toffoli for Risto and ERod.

I just don't think the cap is holding up a trade as it is possible to move around players to make a trade.

Last edited:

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Yeah, we're not getting Ehlers or Vrana without parting with something substantial like Cozens or Mittelstadt+. Guys like Anthanasiou. Zucker and Toffoli are much more attainable for obvious reasons.
or both Cozens and Mitts. Put Zucker in the Vrana Ehlers and possibly AA, as it would take taking on a cap dump plus a 2nd to get him. The delusion around the value of our scraps is escalating.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I see the trade assets as -

Sheary
Vesey
Rodrigues
Scandella
Bogosian (eventually)
Ristolainen or Montour as the biggest piece (probably Ristolainen)
almost any prospect, although I prefer not to add any into a trade

Players like Sobotka, Larsson, Girgensons, Gilmour, Wilson, Nelson, and maybe Bogosian either are probably not getting traded, or don't have any trade value anyway. Buffalo is down a 2nd rd pick each of the next two drafts, so I really don't want to throw in picks to sweeten a deal. I hope to recoup picks from trading Vesey, Sheary, Scandella, and Bogosian, even if they are just 3rd-6th rders.

Change the current roster by making a RHD trade to a team that actually needs a RHD, and target a FW that has term left and under 26. @Jim Bob post verifies what I've already thought - the cap dollars have to work, so any trade idea should be very close to cap neutral. The teams short on RHD are WPG, ANA, LVG, and maybe ARZ. Winnipeg has the Byfuglien situation that still has to be sorted out, so I would think the Ducks and Knights are the most likely teams, maybe the Coyotes also. That means Kase, Rakell, Tuch, Dvorak, Schmaltz.
the bolded are not going to be traded for the assets listed. If our first isn't play we are not getting an impact player. Joker, Mitts Cozens maybe Borgen gets the conversation started for Rakell Tuch Dvorak and Schmaltz. If Risto had that kind of value he would have been gone before camp.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
the bolded are not going to be traded for the assets listed. If our first isn't play we are not getting an impact player. Joker, Mitts Cozens maybe Borgen gets the conversation started for Rakell Tuch Dvorak and Schmaltz. If Risto had that kind of value he would have been gone before camp.

Exactly this.

As I said some of the more 'middle 6' types who actually might be attainable are attractive... But some of the bigger names often mentioned will not be traded short of an overpayment. Let alone a bunch of scraps.

And then... It's all Botts fault for not making a move.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

That's why I list Montour, in case he has more trade value or is simply the preferred choice by another team. I don't prefer adding picks/prospects, but if necessary to get the right player...but that opens up so many combinations of trade offers it's not worth going too far into it.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
That's why I list Montour, in case he has more trade value or is simply the preferred choice by another team. I don't prefer adding picks/prospects, but if necessary to get the right player...but that opens up so many combinations of trade offers it's not worth going too far into it.

Edit - also, I would try to take back a bad contract to make it happen, as long as it's a pending UFA.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
That is because I expect it to be Toffoli who had a bad year last year and he has only been slightly better this year, including being a healthy scratch for the Kings.

I think a lot of names that would be legit top 6 forwards here, like Ehlers, are pipe dreams.
I have caught quite a few LA games this year and Tofoli looks much improved over last year, which many were attributing to injuries that seemed to have healed. I see the issue as more Carter really dropping off and not carrying his weight on his line. I also agree that there will be much disappointment at any return for the assets available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad