Sabres Trade Targets

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I am sure that the team will not play much better if we just add some physical players with grit, we do not have enough high-level talent. Even if, purely hypothetically, we got the Gaudreau, no one bothers to add more physical players with grit instead Vesey, Sobotka, Sheary. We will just have two Jack Eichel, one in the first link, the second in second link, who can carry its own line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fearnot

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
You don’t think an 80 to 90 point player would not make this team harder to play against?

I'm torn. What a player to nab. But, it's true there's no physicality there. He makes PKane88 look like Marchand.
It would really depend on who we are shipping out for him. If it's another offensive cream puff (middlestadt?) + Risto + 1st rounder? Then i'm definitely down. What kind of swap even gets Calgary talking to us though??

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I sit and wonder "if we had 9.5M more in cap space for the next 8 years, imagine all the high end players we could go after"
And we were able to sign that guy because he is just about the only big name player who wanted and was willing to be here. Know what we would have if we didn't sign him? $9.5 million nobody with any options (or a NTC) will be willing to take.

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
When we played Anaheim I liked Kase's play. He was a bit loose with his play but in Buffalo we can help make him more bland.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buy low players are what good GM's take chances on. Being able to identify which players are in a bad situation and have upside in a better situation is what good teams do.

If you watch a game and think "Wow this young player is really good, let's trade for him" that's a player that every scout, GM, fan, Tom, Dick, and Harry can see. That's when you have to over pay. That's what bad GM's don't even do because even they're not that stupid. Over paying for Jordan Greenway would be that bad.

The current front office has yet to identify a player in a bad situation who is below market value on contract and/or trade value and acquire said player. The next one they do will be their first.

Good luck teaching money ball to people who are primarily concerned with player's body language and perceived confidence levels.

More troubling would be teaching money ball to the front office when they don't seem to have the grasp to scout those sort of players.

I'm torn. What a player to nab. But, it's true there's no physicality there. He makes PKane88 look like Marchand.
It would really depend on who we are shipping out for him. If it's another offensive cream puff (middlestadt?) + Risto + 1st rounder? Then i'm definitely down. What kind of swap even gets Calgary talking to us though??

Since the Flames are also swimming in defensemen, I doubt Ristolainen's presence in any offer even makes sense. Buffalo doesn't have the horses. Hell, the don't have the horses even if they had Roslovic and Konecny from a bygone era.

I sit and wonder "if we had 9.5M more in cap space for the next 8 years, imagine all the high end players we could go after"

Two points - how often do very good players become UFA and how often do those players sign in Buffalo? That would be "almost never" to both of those questions.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
The current front office has yet to identify a player in a bad situation who is below market value on contract and/or trade value and acquire said player. The next one they do will be their first.

Robby Fabbri seems like he might be another miss in that regard. Yzerman is good GM though. So when the Wings turn around is better and faster than the Sabres it'll be another to add to the list.

Reactions: sabremike

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Robby Fabbri seems like he might be another miss in that regard. Yzerman is good GM though. So when the Wings turn around is better and faster than the Sabres it'll be another to add to the list.

If we look at what Yzerman and Verbeek did with UDFA's, later round picks, and development with the Lightning, yeah, it's possible his eye is substantially better than Botterill's.

Edit: Or cast-offs like Girardi? Coburn was supposed to be done too.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
You don’t think an 80 to 90 point player would not make this team harder to play against?

Not when that player is easily knocked off the puck and has zero physicality. He's not what we need. He wouldn't get those points here. It is VERY seldom that players continue with their production when coming to this team. (go ahead someone, point to Skinner for recency bias)

I'm not advocating for going Broad Street Bullies. But the smurf angle isn't working and won't work in the playoffs. Give me a 60pt player who hits everything in sight vs an 80-90 pt player who wilts against the previously mentioned player.

Reactions: DJN21

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not when that player is easily knocked off the puck and has zero physicality. He's not what we need. He wouldn't get those points here. It is VERY seldom that players continue with their production when coming to this team. (go ahead someone, point to Skinner for recency bias)

I'm not advocating for going Broad Street Bullies. But the smurf angle isn't working and won't work in the playoffs. Give me a 60pt player who hits everything in sight vs an 80-90 pt player who wilts against the previously mentioned player.

He will get his points. It's not like all of his offense is coming from someone else and he's a later-day Rob Brown.

Talented players are missing from this lineup. Small ones, big ones...

That said, they aren't getting him.

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019

Evander Kane?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Would anyone here trade Risto for a large RW with an ok shot, but not great hands, poor passer, goes hard to the net, and likes to hit; decent skater?

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I'm sad that Carolina is good and getting better but that's the cherry on top for the leafs. Was it protected in the trade?
top 10 protected. The leafs will right the ship. They have too much talent.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
top 10 protected. The leafs will right the ship. They have too much talent.
I dont think they'll finish bottom 10 but I can only hope a missed post-season and the pick going to carolina is possible

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Why couldn’t have Bergervin just budged on ROR for 3OV? Brady is exactly what we needed(still need).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad