Sabres Trade Targets

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Vegas isn't giving up Tuch in a deal for a D that the Sabres will trade to Vegas.

I agree that Vegas should not want to trade Tuch, but they're D-corps is significantly lacking, and without one decent right-shot D (only Engelland, with Schmidt playing right side as a lefty). They have good FWs, but a bunch with NMCs/NTCs. Karlsson and Tuch are the only good FWs without one, and after that is Eakin, Reaves, Nosek, and Pirri as expendables. They aren't going to solve the D-corps problem through a trade with that last group. So IMO Vegas either solves the D issue by trading Karlsson or Tuch, or they just let it ride and stay mediocre this season and probably next.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree that Vegas should not want to trade Tuch, but they're D-corps is significantly lacking, and without one decent right-shot D (only Engelland, with Schmidt playing right side as a lefty). They have good FWs, but a bunch with NMCs/NTCs. Karlsson and Tuch are the only good FWs without one, and after that is Eakin, Reaves, Nosek, and Pirri as expendables. They aren't going to solve the D-corps problem through a trade with that last group. So IMO Vegas either solves the D issue by trading Karlsson or Tuch, or they just let it ride and stay mediocre this season and probably next.

I'm sure their GM will try other things before they move Tuch.

Moving a good young player on a good contract is rarely the first piece moved when a team is in Vegas' situation.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Radek Faksa. Everything the team needs as a 3C, plus is a big player who goes to the net.
I'll take Mittelstadt over him in a heartbeat.

Not sure why people keep crapping on Mittelstadt...how about we get him some good linemates, instead of trying to replace him?

He's had dogsh*t linemates his entire time in Buffalo, and people wonder why he's not living up to expectations.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Not sure why people keep crapping on Mittelstadt...how about we get him some good linemates, instead of trying to replace him?

He's had dogsh*t linemates his entire time in Buffalo, and people wonder why he's not living up to expectations.

Move Mitts to wing until he can show he can be the 2c is one option. Or, put him with MJ and Skinner as the 2C. But they could use better play out of that roster spot.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It seems to me that Faksa for Risto is not so attractive, if Faksa + is such a prospect as Robertson, then yes, plus we take a small dump to equalize the salary. For Pageau they will probably already ask for the first round, he is now simply on fire.

I don’t see Dallas giving up much more than Faksa. Honka? 2020 3rd rounder? They need their prospects. Talent pool in Dallas is shallow.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

Eventually it would be nice to have centers who can drive a line themselves. We always resort to "give him better linemates" as an argument but how about "make your damn linemates better" by opening the ice up for them and setting them up with passes.

Hes such a non option that no team plans for him, they play basic hockey and his entire line gets shut down.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don’t see Dallas giving up much more than Faksa. Honka? 2020 3rd rounder? They need their prospects. Talent pool in Dallas is shallow.
Well then, this deal does not look very attractive to us, no, Faksa is certainly a good player, but there must be some plus.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Eventually it would be nice to have centers who can drive a line themselves. We always resort to "give him better linemates" as an argument but how about "make your damn linemates better" by opening the ice up for them and setting them up with passes.

Hes such a non option that no team plans for him, they play basic hockey and his entire line gets shut down.
what do you mean by 'drive a line'? if your linemates aren't winning puck battles, are never in proper position to receive passes, and can't score on the chances you do provide them with, what are you supposed to do?

there are only a handful of players in the league that can really create offense completely on their own. mitts has shown flashes of that quality so far in his career, but he does in fact need an actual supporting cast around him, not erod/vesey/sheary

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
i edited my post to include more detailed counterpoints
The biggest factor for linemates not being able to set up is that there is no line driver. We need more players that teams specifically plan for, if one guy can draw 2 players to him then this opens the ice for everyone else.

Example, ERod drove play last night setting up the goal for Skinner on the cross ice pass. He drew players to him which allowed Skinner to get open. Now if he could only do that consistently or anyone other than Eichel could do that it would allow weaker linemates to be better.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
what is the over/under on an actual trade? I figured it would happen by now. Could we really go into mid/late february before any movement? If not now, then when? January 1??? Whats your confident under date?

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
I saw trade targets and almost laughed thinking GMJB knew how to make them during the year. He Did so well last year after our winning streak...

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
what is the over/under on an actual trade? I figured it would happen by now. Could we really go into mid/late february before any movement? If not now, then when? January 1??? Whats your confident under date?

Why would you figure that? Because of all the trades happening with the other 30 GMs & teams? It's extremely early in the season for buyers & sellers to be established, hence no trades of any importance.

The only movement you're likely to see this early in the season are potential RFA holdouts with a DEC 1 deadline (Puljujarvi) or minor hockey/cap deals like the Perlini move.

Over/under 2nd week of Dec...

Last edited:
Reactions: jc17

FloridaSabresFan

Nov 5, 2019
Why would you figure that? Because of all the trades happening with the other 30 GMs & teams? It's extremely early in the season for buyers & sellers to be established, hence no trades of any importance.

The only movement your likely to see this early in the season are potential RFA holdouts with a DEC 1 deadline (Puljujarvi) or minor hockey/cap deals like the Perlini move.

Its not really relevant what other GMs are doing. GMs don't keeps their job because what other GMs did or didn't do.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Its not really relevant what other GMs are doing. GMs don't keeps their job because what other GMs did or didn't do.

It takes two to make a trade. If other GM's aren't willing to make a trade with what Botts has to offer, or don't have a reasonable offer on the table, there shouldn't be a trade made.

Reactions: Blitz

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario

Say that back to yourself out loud... The trade market, availability & valuation are ENTIRELY dependent on what the other GMs are doing. That's why they all talk to each other constantly...

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

The only movement you're likely to see this early in the season are potential RFA holdouts with a DEC 1 deadline (Puljujarvi) or minor hockey/cap deals like the Perlini move.

I would think that because we aren’t looking to be a buyer or a seller, we are looking for a hockey trade. Risto a top 4 D for a top 6 Frwd for example. Has to be money in and money out. And, everyone else thought a surplus of D trade was going to happen in late August?

Then you go ahead and predict an over/under by 2nd week of December? Because 3 more weeks of action really separates the buyers and sellers. This has 0% to do with buying and selling.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Vegas now losing to the Kings 2-0.
Bet they make a move of some kind.
3-3, but yes, I read in their topic that they need a mobile RHD that can move the puck, Risto doesn't really fit this definition, Montour probably isn’t trade.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019

nah f*** getting any top wingers for him to play with, here comes some hot garbage to slide down his innocent throat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad