Sabres Trade Targets

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
you trade ANYONE if you can improve the team. You also don't wait until they have no value before making that trade.

Were you opposed to the Mogilny trade back in 1995?

Since the Mogilny deal had a lot to do with the Knoxes deciding they couldn't afford the contracts any longer after some free-spending at the start of the '90's and Alex was not on his first contract any longer, the analogy is pretty weak. I understood why they did it and how Alex was viewed as a non-conformist by many in hockey, not just in Buffalo. Dahlin has none of that baggage nor is he on an expensive contract.

And just to clarify, are you implying that Dahlin's value is somehow declining?

Reactions: seagull

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I just want to preface this by saying I’m a huge Eichel fan, and in no way am I looking to trade him, and the below is ONLY with the hypothetical situation.

IF you were to put Eichel up for trade, is if you’re going away from the structure of having the offense go through one guy, to having a more balanced offensive attack where there is a reliance on puck movement from the 3 to 5 guys on the ice. Essentially you would need to bring back a line’s worth of guys and if you fell into a position where you had to rebuild an organization, you put Eichel up for being traded.

Kill me now. Hypothetical or not, that logic does not produce wins in the nhl.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Since the Mogilny deal had a lot to do with the Knoxes deciding they couldn't afford the contracts any longer after some free-spending at the start of the '90's and Alex was not on his first contract any longer, the analogy is pretty weak. I understood why they did it and how Alex was viewed as a non-conformist by many in hockey, not just in Buffalo. Dahlin has none of that baggage nor is he on an expensive contract.

And just to clarify, are you implying that Dahlin's value is somehow declining?

Dahlin's value is not yet declining. I am not convinced though he will be the best defenseman since Potvin, however. I'm thinking a better version of Brian Campbell. If this is the case, his value will begin to decline with time.

But I would only make the trade for a Rantanen, Marner, or other ELITE player

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Wood has been bad this season, but he was a terror before forechecking and hitting.

Well that's the troubling thing, he stopped doing that. And you don't need to have a good team around you to hit, its actually easier if you don't since they have the puck.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Dahlin's value is not yet declining. I am not convinced though he will be the best defenseman since Potvin, however. I'm thinking a better version of Brian Campbell. If this is the case, his value will begin to decline with time.

Since Campbell didn't break through until he was 25, let's give the 19-year old a few more years to play, shall we?

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I admit, I laughed.
Eichel.. Dahlin? But we should keep all the d prospect s ..excess defensman and the two nhl d in roc.... And since nobody should be trading any of the top 8 on this team .. Botts gets a pass for being realistic and patient.. At least announce January February Mar and Apr as mental health season..with free helmuts for banging yr head against this wall of justifiable reason without positive results .

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
After watching that prick (phamasandwich) go after ristolainen (interview) i must say.. I loved the effort of the team .. Refs suck.. Im just hating jason botteril. Love the players even though a few can't hack it . love Krueger ( control the press traveling) .. Just hate the f n fact this (the roster) has been allowed the persist over a year and people defend Jason for being competent in some areas but leaving the roster w two glaring holes is alright.. We have help coming in a year or two..

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
I can't believe that because Dahlin hasn't looked like the best defenseman in the league yet, some of our fans are already giving up on him. He's 19 years old, come on. Hedman didn't do much in his first 4 years, Nick Lidstrom didn't get his first Norris nomination until he was 27, Erik Karlsson didn't do any better than Dahlin in his first 2 years and won the Norris when he was 21, Duncan Keith didn't do much in his first 2 years and won his first Norris when he was 26.

Point is, lets give the kid and I stress kid, some time. Saying he's a better version of Brian Campbell is just ridiculous. Lets wait and see where he's at 3 years from now. I still believe trading him away would be one of the worst decisions this organization could ever make. Patience.

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Which part of the logic? The switching from a single play driver to a line creating offense? Or is it the trade package return?

The quality for quantity package as a concept.

Sure occasionally a Herschel Walker crazy overpay might happen, but there is a reason most of those deals happened in the 70s, 80s and 90s, before teams world wide got smarter and snorted less cocaine.

Hockey is a sport with limited true impact players that can dominate a game. Its also a sport where said superstar is likely to have close to 10 years of excellent play. And it chronically under pays those stars in comparison to a middle class player who is far more likely to fall apart earlier in their career.

Finally the sport has guaranteed contracts.

The way things are currently set up, nothing is more irreplaceable than a prime aged center on a reasonable contract.

To trade Eichel wisely, you would need another team to gut itself or you made a dumb move.

O'Reilly is the lesser scenario, but imagine if that had been a successful. You need multiple people to hit their peak for several years or a prospect to explode into an all star player.

I'm all for having depth and complete lines, but you don't get there by trading studs. I'm open to changing my mind, but i don't see any comps that show that being successful.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Sure occasionally a Herschel Walker crazy overpay might happen, but there is a reason most of those deals happened in the 70s, 80s and 90s, before teams world wide got smarter and snorted less cocaine.

Hockey is a sport with limited true impact players that can dominate a game. Its also a sport where said superstar is likely to have close to 10 years of excellent play. And it chronically under pays those stars in comparison to a middle class player who is far more likely to fall apart earlier in their career.

The way things are currently set up, nothing is more irreplaceable than a prime aged center on a reasonable contract.

To trade Eichel wisely, you would need another team to gut itself or you made a dumb move.

O'Reilly is the lesser scenario, but imagine if that had been a successful. You need multiple people to hit their peak for several years or a prospect to explode into an all star player.

I'm all for having depth and complete lines, but you don't get there by trading studs. I'm open to changing my mind, but i don't see any comps that show that being successful.

Okay thanks for clearing that up. I would tend to agree with you, but the only way a quantity for quality trade works for the team giving up the 1 player (Eichel in this case) is if the trading team is capable of targeting guys who may be buried in the other team's depth.

Again, I'm not saying I want to trade Eichel, but if there was a situation I was just painting a scenario of it happening.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Okay thanks for clearing that up. I would tend to agree with you, but the only way a quantity for quality trade works for the team giving up the 1 player (Eichel in this case) is if the trading team is capable of targeting guys who may be buried in the other team's depth.

Again, I'm not saying I want to trade Eichel, but if there was a situation I was just painting a scenario of it happening.

I think if that scenario is probable, that your staff is capable of picking out diamonds in the ruff, then you should just keep your stars and use that ability to find underappreciated assets with your own less valuable assets. Basically what Tampa does.

You know what I mean? Like why trade a difference maker if the premise is you can find good unsung players that other team's miss?

Edit: and I don't think you are saying we should do it. I'm just saying the premise is flawed based on all evidence. If said scenario occurred, trading Eichel for quantity, you would have to rely on massive luck to make that work. Like somehow having a young Swede barely anyone knew about have a hall of fame career when you trade Lindros.

It's just not the smart play.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

You'd trade Dahlin for Marner. You know he's 19, right? What he did at 18 was unbelievable. His talent is crazy. Go get a team to play around him and Eichel.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

You don't trade quantity for quality. Eichel is a top 10 player. It would be nuts.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Again, trying to find ways to unlock Skinner’s scoring from a historic standpoint - getting him that solid defensive coverage center might be a thing. Riley Nash has some history with him and could be low hanging fruit if Columbus is out.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

jputt99

Nov 24, 2016
Charlotte NC
There's only two players on this team who are not getting traded . Eichel and Dahlin . Everyone else , including prospects are probably available . Buffalo is in a stronger position than most teams and I expect to see several players move by the trade deadline . Even though many of us want to see Botts get that impact forward , the Sabres will likely be sellers , not buyers . Unless something comes out of the blue , I don't see any teams parting with a quality 2C for someone like Risto .

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Again, trying to find ways to unlock Skinner’s scoring from a historic standpoint - getting him that solid defensive coverage center might be a thing. Riley Nash has some history with him and could be low hanging fruit if Columbus is out.

If Cbus decides to sell I move heaven and earth to try and pry Boone Jenner off that team, with Anderson coming in 2nd... Unfortunately I just don't see them going down that road - Their best players are all young and under team control, and they've dealt with a ton of injuries this year so they can chalk it up as a freak year and re-up for another run next year. They don't really have any expiring UFAs either, so no urgency to move anyone.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Cbus decides to sell I move heaven and earth to try and pry Boone Jenner off that team, with Anderson coming in 2nd... Unfortunately I just don't see them going down that road - Their best players are all young and under team control, and they've dealt with a ton of injuries this year so they can chalk it up as a freak year and re-up for another run next year. They don't really have any expiring UFAs either, so no urgency to move anyone.

I don’t see the moving either of those guys so that’s why I suggested Nash.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
You'd trade Dahlin for Marner. You know he's 19, right? What he did at 18 was unbelievable. His talent is crazy. Go get a team to play around him and Eichel.

What would bring more points in the standings? During eichels prime? Marner or
Dahlin?

If we want to build around dahlin, go all in. The window to win with him is later. Trade eichel then for great young players. Dint waste his prime. My opinion is go for it during the next 4 years during peak eichel.

Think the real reason nobody wants those two traded under any circumstances is the are the fan favorites. Most here would reject lindros type trades for either player

Of course, this assumes fathead could get good value, which is a 50/50 proposition from him

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What would bring more points in the standings? During eichels prime? Marner or
Dahlin?

If we want to build around dahlin, go all in. The window to win with him is later. Trade eichel then for great young players. Dint waste his prime. My opinion is go for it during the next 4 years during peak eichel.

Think the real reason nobody wants those two traded under any circumstances is the are the fan favorites. Most here would reject lindros type trades for either player

No, you build around Jack and Dahlin. You don’t do it for one at the expense of the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad