Sabres Trade Targets

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Mittelstadt for Lias Andersson
Both players could use a change of scenery
Andersson played with Dahlin and Oloffson with Frolunda. If they vouch for him, that's good enough for me.
I think Andersson can become a checking center with some scoring ability. He has decent size. He was said to be a leader and high effort guy before the draft.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
If we're going to trade, trading the spare parts is not going to work.

Need to do what the Bills did, actually trade some of the more talented players and bring players in who fit the system, even if they are less talented. The Bills did that and turned things around quickly. Instead, we hang on to core pieces far too long and then trade them only after their value has plummeted and they are no longer considered core pieces.

An example would have been trading Girgs after his all star 2014-2015 season. Likely would have got a first and a prospect for him. Wasn't really a place for him after the improvements that offseason and it showed. Now, he's worth a 3rd at most.

We cannot be afraid to trade our better players, even if they are our favorites

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Saad with retention.
Tierney.
Pageau as a dream.
Kase is healthy.
Jankowski.
yeah..and I'd have zero problem acquiring Toffoli IF he was played on Jacks RW, I think he'd excel there with his style of play, but NO if he's just brought in to play with the Vesey/ERod etc leftovers.

I'm afraid a move for someone like Craig Smith is in play...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If we're going to trade, trading the spare parts is not going to work.

Need to do what the Bills did, actually trade some of the more talented players and bring players in who fit the system, even if they are less talented. The Bills did that and turned things around quickly. Instead, we hang on to core pieces far too long and then trade them only after their value has plummeted and they are no longer considered core pieces.

An example would have been trading Girgs after his all star 2014-2015 season. Likely would have got a first and a prospect for him. Wasn't really a place for him after the improvements that offseason and it showed. Now, he's worth a 3rd at most.

We cannot be afraid to trade our better players, even if they are our favorites

There are two ways you can trade spare parts to which it can be impactful for the team. When you are capable of finding the deepest diamonds in the rough, or you trade them and acquire draft picks and use those picks to use as assets in trades to further increase the trade package value.

Otherwise, if you’re looking to reshape or change your roster, you most likely would need to use your best talents to do so. That’s also why you NEED to hit a GUARANTEED win when you do so. You can’t waste those shots when you have limited talent on the team.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
There are two ways you can trade spare parts to which it can be impactful for the team. When you are capable of finding the deepest diamonds in the rough, or you trade them and acquire draft picks and use those picks to use as assets in trades to further increase the trade package value.

Otherwise, if you’re looking to reshape or change your roster, you most likely would need to use your best talents to do so. That’s also why you NEED to hit a GUARANTEED win when you do so. You can’t waste those shots when you have limited talent on the team.

Only person who is nearly untradable is Eichel. To say the team is a beer league team without him is insulting to beer league teams. No other player has an impact on winning and losing like Eichel does. Second may be Larsson of all people

Anyone else is fair game, including Dahlin, Risto, Cozens, etc, if it brings us something we need

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Only person who is nearly untradable is Eichel. To say the team is a beer league team without him is insulting to beer league teams. No other player has an impact on winning and losing like Eichel does. Second may be Larsson of all people

Anyone else is fair game, including Dahlin, Risto, Cozens, etc, if it brings us something we need

I just want to preface this by saying I’m a huge Eichel fan, and in no way am I looking to trade him, and the below is ONLY with the hypothetical situation.

IF you were to put Eichel up for trade, is if you’re going away from the structure of having the offense go through one guy, to having a more balanced offensive attack where there is a reliance on puck movement from the 3 to 5 guys on the ice. Essentially you would need to bring back a line’s worth of guys and if you fell into a position where you had to rebuild an organization, you put Eichel up for being traded.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Mittelstadt for Lias Andersson
Both players could use a change of scenery
Andersson played with Dahlin and Oloffson with Frolunda. If they vouch for him, that's good enough for me.
I think Andersson can become a checking center with some scoring ability. He has decent size. He was said to be a leader and high effort guy before the draft.
Sabres sending Mittelstadt to the Rangers would end up comparable to when The Oilers sent Strome to the Rangers. We just need to be patient and let him develop.

Reactions: seagull

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I just want to preface this by saying I’m a huge Eichel fan, and in no way am I looking to trade him, and the below is ONLY with the hypothetical situation.

IF you were to put Eichel up for trade, is if you’re going away from the structure of having the offense go through one guy, to having a more balanced offensive attack where there is a reliance on puck movement from the 3 to 5 guys on the ice. Essentially you would need to bring back a line’s worth of guys and if you fell into a position where you had to rebuild an organization, you put Eichel up for being traded.

I'd prefer that any hypothetical trade be for a hall of fame goaltender (because we all know how much of an albatross the goalie is for us), where the team switches to one that wins due to defense and great goaltending. Much like our shift from the early 90s to the late 90s Sabres when we traded Mogilny for a first that became a good defenseman and one of the best defensive forwards (I'll overlook Wilson as we got a good defenseman for him in a trade along with the pick that became Miller)

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Saad with retention.
Tierney.
Pageau as a dream.
Kase is healthy.
Jankowski.
Kase is healthy, and the Ducks have so many younger guys competing they could move him, but I'm not sure he's a consistent scorer. This team could use his speed and motor, but it would likely cost Risto. Also concerned about his long-term health.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I no longer want any rentals unless there’s intention to re-sign them

If we haven’t played our way out of playoff contention quite yet, we’re very close to it.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
I really want the Foligno Brothers here.

With the way Foligno is playing this year and the leader he's become in wild locker room, it's will be a 1st round pick . But wild aren't looking to make a move this year unless it's improve the team for a playoff run.

Wild due to Kaprizov coming over have to win

jd1970

Feb 23, 2007
Downtown Buffalo

I like your post except for the Dahlin part.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'd trade Dahlin for the right return. But it'd need to be amazing. If VAN offered up Pettersson you'd have to at least pause.

But more seriously, why would Buffalo want Miles freakin' Wood? He's been awful, he's a dramatically worse version of Girg.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'd trade Dahlin for the right return. But it'd need to be amazing. If VAN offered up Pettersson you'd have to at least pause.

But more seriously, why would Buffalo want Miles freakin' Wood? He's been awful, he's a dramatically worse version of Girg.

Wood has been bad this season, but he was a terror before forechecking and hitting.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

of course, only trade Dahlin (or anyone for that matter) if the return is right. The return also needs to be something this team needs (an elite RW for Eichel or an elite number 2 center)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad