Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to 3-year ELC

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
he's eligible for a slide year yes?

if so, great to have him signed already. From what I saw in the rookie camp last year I thought he had a lot of potential

Reactions: Jamie Walker

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Hes looked very mediocre in any of his ganes I had the chance to see. Hes a pretty long shot and I dont dnderstand why we are signing him already when he likely needs at least 2 more years in Finland until they even think avout bringing him over. Would love to be wrong on him as we are desperate for good goalie prospects, but I dont think I will be based on game shown so far.

Reactions: Cirris

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Hes looked very mediocre in any of his ganes I had the chance to see. Hes a pretty long shot and I dont dnderstand why we are signing him already when he likely needs at least 2 more years in Finland until they even think avout bringing him over. Would love to be wrong on him as we are desperate for good goalie prospects, but I dont think I will be based on game shown so far.

I agree, he really didn't impress me at all last year. Maybe his league play is better. But anything international, he was subpar at best.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I agree, he really didn't impress me at all last year. Maybe his league play is better. But anything international, he was subpar at best.
It seems according to reports he wasnt even good in Finland...Im a fairly worried as a result as we have no one else in the pipe and so far no rumours on UFA signings out of college/Europe either.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
No problem w signing him. Our goalie crop is barren. He’s locked up and will probably compete for a spot next year with Rochester (maybe some time in the ECHL?)

I’d expect the Sabres to draft a goalie in the 3rd-5th round this year.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Curious, how many games have you seen him play?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Interesting. He seems like he is going to need a long long time in the slow cooker.
slow cookker.

Thinking about it more, while he'll obviously be in Finland this coming season, I wonder if this means that the Sabres see him as being more ready than most here do. Otherwise, why sign him now? With an ELC slide year, there's no practical difference between signing him this year and next year. But if you see him for sure spending the next two seasons in Finland, why sign him now and not in 2020, when you could still sign him to a 3 year ELC? They'd also have him waiver exempt through 2024, instead of 2023 (which is the case with an ELC this season, or would have been with one next season).
Is there ANY benefit to ELC now?
Are Sabres now permitted any greater contact or control they didn't have before re: his training / development and/or influencing the overseas club(s) he plays for?

Is the "U" in Ukkkka a long U as in "vacuum", "cumulative", "accumulate", "cute", or a short u as in "but", "cut", "hut", or pronounced some other way?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
So, because he's signed with us, he'd have to be loaned to a team back in Finland or wherever if he doesn't play in Rochester or Buffalo?

And as long as he doesn't play more than nine games a season with the Sabres his contract slides?

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
If he plays 2 pro seasons in Finland these next 2 years, can he be exposed to the expansion draft so we don’t have to expose Ullmark? I don’t think our other Swedish goalie has played enough pro games to count yet. And we might not resign him.

Just trying to think why we are doing this

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I don't know why folks are getting up in arms about UPL's potential. Ullmark took 6 years to get to the NHL if he makes the team next year. He had three seasons with Modo post draft, and then 3 with Rochester. He saw significant NHL action in his 4th season, but mostly as a back-up.

UPL has lots of holes. Nearly every goaltending prospect does when he's 18-19 years old. The position is so technical that it takes years to master. That's why so few goalies go in the first round. You're drafting on projection based on raw talent, hoping the technical and mental progression comes.

Anyone who is down on a goalie at draft year+1 doesn't understand the position.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
As a Finn i'm more than surprised of this signing.
I really didn't see this coming after 2018 world juniors so weak Luukkonen was in that tournament.

But playing in NHL is other story and it won't happen near future ( 2-4 yrs).
To be honest would make my mind say that now Sabres wasted their moneys deep shit hole.
However congrats anyway.

Last edited:

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Interesting. He seems like he is going to need a long long time in the slow cooker.
And that is the correct path to take. Miller didn't start until he was 25, he was decent. Hasek?, and the list goes on.
Time, time to learn, time to adjust, time to...…..do I dare say it...………develop?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And that is the correct path to take. Miller didn't start until he was 25, he was decent. Hasek?, and the list goes on.
Time, time to learn, time to adjust, time to...…..do I dare say it...………develop?

Yep, that's normal for most goalies. No issue - just trying to point out to people that he'll need longer rather than shorter development time.

Reactions: Yatzhee

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
It change fast with goalies, when they draft UPL in the second round last year Buffalo think they get a good goalie but today You dont know. If they instead had take another finnish goalie Vehviläinen, one year older , in the seven round they have a goalie which could be backup for Ullmark next season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It change fast with goalies, when they draft UPL in the second round last year Buffalo think they get a good goalie but today You dont know. If they instead had take another finnish goalie Vehviläinen, one year older , in the seven round they have a goalie which could be backup for Ullmark next season.

VV is very much on my draft radar for a late-round over-age selection. I would love to see him in the Sabres' stable.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
I'd take VV with our 4th. Other than one terrible tourney he's been a really good goalie and we could definitely use one that's a little farther into his development.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd take VV with our 4th. Other than one terrible tourney he's been a really good goalie and we could definitely use one that's a little farther into his development.

Yeah his playoff run this year should put to bed any big game conversation about VV.

I’m hoping 6K has a great Dev camp and returns as the Finn U20 starter to have a chance to put some WJC ghosts to bed.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

RasmWristshotlainen

Jun 24, 2015
Finland
Is there ANY benefit to ELC now?
Are Sabres now permitted any greater contact or control they didn't have before re: his training / development and/or influencing the overseas club(s) he plays for?

Is the "U" in Ukkkka a long U as in "vacuum", "cumulative", "accumulate", "cute", or a short u as in "but", "cut", "hut", or pronounced some other way?

The U is short like in but

Reactions: brian_griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad