Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to 3-year ELC

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Wasn't he pretty meh this year? (My viewings were small)
He was quite meh, I thought. Decent in the prospects tourney at rookie camp, but not a great season for his Finnish team and very poor performance at the WJC I thought.

Oh well, I'm pulling for him. Go Special K's!

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I think another year overseas (at least) is very likely, actually. He still had a year left on his contract in Finland, he's only 19, and he only played one game in the Liiga last season. He's probably not AHL ready.
I think he meant it’s unlikely he’s there just one more year.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Not gonna argue with getting some more depth in our barren goaltender pool. He just turned 19 three months ago so plenty of room to grow yet.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think another year overseas (at least) is very likely, actually. He still had a year left on his contract in Finland, he's only 19, and he only played one game in the Liiga last season. He's probably not AHL ready.
I was referring to him coming over after one more year as being unlikely. He probably has 2 or more before coming

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Here's Ullmark, 25 years old and for the first time he'll start the season in the NHL. Takes a long time for a goalie to develop if they ever do become NHL caliber. I don't like taking them in the first 3 rounds, i'd like to see stats comparing goalies drafted in the 2nd and 3rd and those in the later rounds, I have a feeling the probability of becoming an NHLer doesn't vary much between them.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Thinking about it more, while he'll obviously be in Finland this coming season, I wonder if this means that the Sabres see him as being more ready than most here do. Otherwise, why sign him now? With an ELC slide year, there's no practical difference between signing him this year and next year. But if you see him for sure spending the next two seasons in Finland, why sign him now and not in 2020, when you could still sign him to a 3 year ELC? They'd also have him waiver exempt through 2024, instead of 2023 (which is the case with an ELC this season, or would have been with one next season).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He had more value than half the team. My first order of business is always to trade him lol

My go-to move is signing him to an 8 year deal as soon as you can, and then you get like 6 years of an elite starter for like 3.5M. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad