Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to 3-year ELC

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Scouts that spend decades watching prospects also miss good players and draft lousy ones. We don't take their opinions as gospel

You might know more about goaltending than the other guy but I don't think every opinion that disagrees with yours should be thrown out the window because you've spent more time doing this.

No offense, but if someone admits he's never played the game, doesn't know much about goaltending, and didn't really watch much of the guy play, but swears that the goalie in question is a huge bust, then it's hard to take his opinion too seriously.

Reactions: ZZamboni

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
No offense, but if someone admits he's never played the game, doesn't know much about goaltending, and didn't really watch much of the guy play, but swears that the goalie in question is a huge bust, then it's hard to take his opinion too seriously.

Exactly. I’ll agree with and side with the ones who ACTUALLY play the game, coach the game, have been intimately involved in the game (or job) than other loud mouth stubborn cross arms opinions.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Exactly. I’ll agree with and side with the ones who ACTUALLY play the game, coach the game, have been intimately involved in the game (or job) than other loud mouth stubborn cross arms opinions.

I mean, I never played organized football, but I have watched it and read about it my whole life, so I have some opinions, but they may not always be right. But I'll admit that.
And there are former NHL players and coaches who I think have horrible opinions on some things.
But in this case when you say you haven't really watched him play much but he's a bad goalie...on what else are you basing your opinion?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
"loud mouth stubborn cross arms opinions" that so far have been pretty right on most things they have been banging about on this board despite popular opinion saying otherwise. The fact that Botts tends to do what I would easily also do most of thr time tells me Im thinking in the right direction. But wait, Im not a hockey coach so my opinion is not valid... Bahahah

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I mean, I never played organized football, but I have watched it and read about it my whole life, so I have some opinions, but they may not always be right. But I'll admit that.
And there are former NHL players and coaches who I think have horrible opinions on some things.
But in this case when you say you haven't really watched him play much but he's a bad goalie...on what else are you basing your opinion?
10 games of watching a goalie is plenty of samplesize to see how bad he is most of the time. Not saying he will be this bad forever as goalies do improve but that does not make the pick good. The pick was bad based on what we drafted - a currently quite bad goalie prospect that some here overrate just because of the we drafted hik, thus we have to defend hik factor. If he was a Toronto prospect no one here would be saying what an awesome prospect he is. Even Finns on hete hate him because he plays on and screws up constantly on their roster.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
10 games of watching a goalie is plenty of samplesize to see how bad he is most of the time. Not saying he will be this bad forever as goalies do improve but that does not make the pick good. The pick was bad based on what we drafted - a currently quite bad goalie prospect that some here overrate just because of the we drafted hik, thus we have to defend hik factor. If he was a Toronto prospect no one here would be saying what an awesome prospect he is. Even Finns on hete hate him because he plays on and screws up constantly on their roster.

Well, except that UPL played well in the WJSS. He improved a great deal on his technical issues. Don't take my word for it.

Sabres prospects put up a strong showing at the World Junior...

I'll say it again: you draft goalies based on physical and mental abilities. The technical advances come later. Which is exactly what UPL is doing.

But please, keep telling us about goalies after your 10 games of viewing something you know little about.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen didn't play in Finlands opening game today in the u20 4-Nations Tournament in Sweden. Finland defeat the Czech Republic 5-1 - Justus Annunen made 35 saves in net for Finland.

U-P-L should get the start in net for Finland's game two which will be played on Saturday against host Sweden. Game time is 6:30 pm local (12:30 pm ET) and you can watch it via a fee at Svensk Hockey . TV

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Opps! I screwed up the times there! The Finland-Sweden game was played much earlier than I had orginially posted in the previous post. Game is now over and Finland loses to Sweden 3-0. Ukko Pekka Luukkonen played all 60 minutes in the loss - making 23 saves on 26 shots.

Finland (1 Win - 0 Tie - 1 Loss) finishes the round robin tourney on Sunday with a game vs Russia (1 Win - 1 Tie - 0 Loss). Game is scheduled for 11:00 local. Will be nice if U-P-L gets the chance to redeem himself with a start vs Russia.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20230904_133706_Instagram.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad