Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to 3-year ELC

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Well he'll get a lot of practice

upload_2018-6-28_13-11-26.png

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
So, he's going to play with Sudbury next season? I like this idea. I'll have to check to see when they play Windsor and Sarnia.

If Luukkonen is smart and understands his own best he reports to Sudbury.
Of course the last word where he plays next season is Sabres.

Last edited:
Reactions: lancaster14

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Wherever he gets the most ice time should be where he ends up and that’s looking like Sudbury

In development perspective it would best for Luukkonen to report Sudbury.
If he stays in HPK he'll be 3rd goalie in there and he'll play in mestis like he did this past season.
It's hard for Luukkonen to get much starts in HPK next season.

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Pretty cool that Sudbury thought enough of Luukkonen's skill as a goaltender to use the #3 OA pick on him.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I really hope Luukkonen reports to Sudbury.
It's his own best in this situation when his liiga team already have 2 more experienced goalies signed.
So better take starting goalies spot in OHL team than being bouncing between Mestis and SM liiga.

BostonOz

Sep 22, 2013
What do you think the Sabres will do with their 2nd rounder goalie Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen? keep him as a third stringer in Finnish pro league? send him to Sudbury of the OHL? or play in the AHL? the only place he would be a starter would be Sudbury. thoughts?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What do you think the Sabres will do with their 2nd rounder goalie Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen? keep him as a third stringer in Finnish pro league? send him to Sudbury of the OHL? or play in the AHL? the only place he would be a starter would be Sudbury. thoughts?

Personally, I hope he goes to Sudbury.

But, it's not just the Sabres that get a say in this situation. I can't see the Sabres forcing UPL to come over to North America if he doesn't feel ready for that move yet.

Reactions: jBuds

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

I agree with Jim Bob (FYI, he's a goalie on the side). In addition to the reasons Jim Bob noted, I believe BUF would really want UPL's contract to slide for at least this year.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I agree with Jim Bob (FYI, he's a goalie on the side). In addition to the reasons Jim Bob noted, I believe BUF would really want UPL's contract to slide for at least this year.
Is there any way possible that it wouldn't? As far as I'm aware, the only way it doesn't slide is if he plays 10 or more NHL games this season, and I don't think anyone is expecting that at all.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I don't think the AHL is really a plausible option.

Reactions: Jim Bob

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I don't know what they'll do, but they should send him to the O to get acquainted with the NA game at a level he can compete at

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Why? For a goalie, there's not that much difference between international and NA games.

Yes there is.

Going from the big ice to the smaller rink changes the timing of plays and angles of shots immensely.

Then you have the day to day culture change stuff that he will have to adapt to.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Yes there is.

Going from the big ice to the smaller rink changes the timing of plays and angles of shots immensely.

Then you have the day to day culture change stuff that he will have to adapt to.

The angles aren’t any different. Timing maybe. Agree on culture. I think he’d be better in Finland for culture, playing with pros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->