Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to 3-year ELC

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Luukkonen is playing well. With Samuelsson, Luukkonen, and Laaksonen all playing I'm shocked more people aren't watching.

Oh - and I will always love Dhooghe.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
5 on 3 powerplay for Finland with them down by a goal with just under four minutes left. Finns put out Laaksonen for basically the whole PP - USA puts out Samuelsson on D to start the 3 on 5 kill.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Didn't even watch, but 1 good game at a tournament filled with a bunch of 18 year olds and you act as if he just won the Vezina. Still a bad pick when a midget hockey level player could beat him at high glove. I will admit to being wrong when he is in the NHL and performing well so you may want to wait a while with the "he doesn't know anything about golatending" rhetorics. I was one of the few people here that wanted The Chad and Lehner to have nothing to do with the team while the others were busy defending this tandem, so give me a break with your goaltending knowledge lessons y'all.

Oh btw, 2nd goal yesterday was what? High glove, OMG NO WAY

Last edited:
Reactions: jc17

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Didn't even watch, but 1 good game at a tournament filled with a bunch of 18 year olds and you act as if he just won the Vezina. Still a bad pick when a midget hockey level player could beat him at high glove. I will admit to being wrong when he is in the NHL and performing well so you may want to wait a while with the "he doesn't know anything about golatending" rhetorics. I was one of the few people here that wanted The Chad and Lehner to have nothing to do with the team while the others were busy defending this tandem, so give me a break with your goaltending knowledge lessons y'all.

Getting beat on the glove side is literally the easiest problem for a goalie coach to fix.

Hook two retractable dog leashes to the top corners of the net. Hook the other end to a stick. Pull it out. Put the goalie the the middle of the leashes. Show him where geometrically where to position his glove. Then practice the new glove position.

But right, he sucks.

Pro tip: do some research on goaltending before commenting. I’m a goalie coach. I just spent a week training youth goalies at a camp with an NHL goalie. And I’m telling you- you don’t know what you’re posting about.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
Happy he's going to Sudbury. I think it will be good for him to adjust to the NA game. It will also be nice to get to watch him in person when I head back up there for college this fall.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Getting beat on the glove side is literally the easiest problem for a goalie coach to fix.

Hook two retractable dog leashes to the top corners of the net. Hook the other end to a stick. Pull it out. Put the goalie the the middle of the leashes. Show him where geometrically where to position his glove. Then practice the new glove position.

But right, he sucks.

Pro tip: do some research on goaltending before commenting. I’m a goalie coach. I just spent a week training youth goalies at a camp with an NHL goalie. And I’m telling you- you don’t know what you’re posting about.
Disco Dan is also a coach. What is your point exactly?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Disco Dan is also a coach. What is your point exactly?

Right. There are 31 head coaching positions in the NHL. He's a failed head coach recently. Doesn't mean he can't coach positions or doesn't know anything about hockey. Just getting to one of those 31 positions, twice, means he knows a great deal about hockey. Being a HC is hard and especially hard at the NHL level. Just because he didn't succeed doesn't mean he knows nothing about hockey.

You, in that same HC position, would last a game. Maybe two. So don't think just because he failed that your opinion is somehow greater.

And yes, because I'm a goalie coach I do know a great deal about the position. I've been playing since I was eight and have three decades of playing experience. You've never played the position and by your own admission don't know about it. I'd bet nearly everyone on this board, knowing that, would take my opinion over yours.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Right. There are 31 head coaching positions in the NHL. He's a failed head coach recently. Doesn't mean he can't coach positions or doesn't know anything about hockey. Just getting to one of those 31 positions, twice, means he knows a great deal about hockey. Being a HC is hard and especially hard at the NHL level. Just because he didn't succeed doesn't mean he knows nothing about hockey.

You, in that same HC position, would last a game. Maybe two. So don't think just because he failed that your opinion is somehow greater.

And yes, because I'm a goalie coach I do know a great deal about the position. I've been playing since I was eight and have three decades of playing experience. You've never played the position and by your own admission don't know about it. I'd bet nearly everyone on this board, knowing that, would take my opinion over yours.

Listen man, besides goalie stuff, just because you are in the armed forces doesn’t mean you know more about it. I mean, what’s to know. You wear green clothes, practice gun stuff, do endurance drills and do what a general tells you to do. I watch war movies all the time.
Amirite?

:sarcasm:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Nice article on Pekka, ukko, I’ll learn it eventually.

Praising him for his improvement from last year wjc, cleaning up his upper body stability.

Sure would be nice to have him or Ulmark hit big.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014

I'm no goalie guru or expert - but I'm more with you here. I think UPL is pretty overrated around here at this point in his career.

As someone who has really only seen him play internationally (not in Metsis or Liga at all), I've not been super impressed. This will be a big season for him in Sudbury.

I actually liked Ullmark more heading into his Draft +2 season.

This isn't to say that UPL won't pan out; just don't think he's been overly special so far.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Not a goalie. Not a coach. Not a scout. But people who make a living in hockey seem willing to give this guy a chance--so I will also. And you know sometimes I see star rated Dmen screw up. And once in a while a generational forward misses the net 5 or 6 times in a row or goes a few games without a goal. Poor goalie is the one who takes it in the ear though when he is not perfect.....

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
Not a goalie. Not a coach. Not a scout. But people who make a living in hockey seem willing to give this guy a chance--so I will also. And you know sometimes I see star rated Dmen screw up. And once in a while a generational forward misses the net 5 or 6 times in a row or goes a few games without a goal. Poor goalie is the one who takes it in the ear though when he is not perfect.....

Definitely right here as well - certainly open to giving him a chance!

I would like to see him play alright in Sudbury and improve on his WJHC this holiday season.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

Scouts that spend decades watching prospects also miss good players and draft lousy ones. We don't take their opinions as gospel

You might know more about goaltending than the other guy but I don't think every opinion that disagrees with yours should be thrown out the window because you've spent more time doing this.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Scouts that spend decades watching prospects also miss good players and draft lousy ones. We don't take their opinions as gospel

You might know more about goaltending than the other guy but I don't think every opinion that disagrees with yours should be thrown out the window because you've spent more time doing this.

Ok so my Dr. who has practiced general medicine for 30 years and is a good Dr. with a big practice, says I need to get on a cholesterol lowering medication. And the medication has a good history of helping others.

But my friend who’s works at Moog, watches a lot of medical shows, tells me if I just eat less junk food, meh, that’s good enough. No need for those drugs.

I wonder who has a more educated opinion based in fact, of health and medicine?

It’s just so hard to choose...

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Ok so my Dr. who has practiced general medicine for 30 years and is a good Dr. with a big practice, says I need to get on a cholesterol lowering medication. And the medication has a good history of helping others.

But my friend who’s works at Moog, watches a lot of medical shows, tells me if I just eat less junk food, meh, that’s good enough. No need for those drugs.

I wonder who has a more educated opinion based in fact, of health and medicine?

It’s just so hard to choose...
Then let's just shut down the forum and listen to the experts on Twitter and nbcsn since they have more experience. This is a discussion board.

And your example is a pretty big scarecrow.

1st of all medicine =/= hockey. Doctor will usually be right. Professional scouts still end up being a crap shoot.

2nd, no offense to jaeger because I'm sure his goalie knowledge is fine but are you really going to compare someone who happens to be a youth goalie coach to a doctor with a successful practice and a drug with a history of success? He might be a great goalie evaluator but that's making some huge leaps based on the information we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad