Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Kyle Okposo (7 years, $6M AAV)

Castrophy

Feb 26, 2015
Oswego, NY
I'm not a huge fan of Okposo at all. I guess the AAV could have been worse but I'm not happy about the term. Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Lucic on TSN said he went to Edmonton for one reason - McDavid. And I'm sure for Okposo it was Eichel. Stud young 1C's are the hottest coeds on campus.

Regier took a bullet for the fans, had Tim Murray come in here when we still had the old core, his first NHL GM job, he couldn't/wouldn't be able to say to the owner 'my plan is to tear this team apart and be horrendously bad for a few years, accumulate draft picks, draft at the top of the draft'

A bullet regier helped manufacture, load and pull the trigger.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I pencil him in with ROR simply because I want to continue seeing what Reinhart and Eichel can do together. I expect he will move between the two a lot. Playing with ROR allows him to have the puck more, so it probably works well.

That's how I feel as well, I want to see how Eichel and Reinhart continue to grow together. That leaves Okposo on the ROR line, which could be deadly.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
There is also the possibility of Moulson's influence as he and Okposo are close (godfather to kid thing). Moulson... all about the intangibles. :laugh:

If Okposo has a great season, this may be Moulson's biggest contribution to the team in quite some time.

:laugh:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I implore you all to read the reviews of Isles fans on Okposo if you refuse to take my word for it :). They're not written as "bitter departure reviews" at all. They are honest assessments of a player who was really well-liked, but often underachieved and was inconsistent on the whole.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I implore you all to read the reviews of Isles fans on Okposo if you refuse to take my word for it :). They're not written as "bitter departure reviews" at all. They are honest assessments of a player who was really well-liked, but often underachieved and was inconsistent on the whole.
Production wise a majority of the players disappear for stretches of a season. Not everyone can be a 80+ PPG player.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

I'm not expecting a franchise player here

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Production wise a majority of the players disappear for stretches of a season. Not everyone can be a 80+ PPG player's.
Fine... but don't combine that notion with his 22 goals and expect a top tier winger. His production goes up and down, as does his impact in general.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
There is also the possibility of Moulson's influence as he and Okposo are close (godfather to kid thing). Moulson... all about the intangibles. :laugh:

Now I hate Moulson even more.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
There should be some crow in here for posters who predicted huge aav for okposo.

I don't remember seeing any posters calling for anything bigger than $7 million. There was a post, about rumors of Okposo looking for $8 million, but that was it.

This was in line with what people thought he would go for.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Fine... but don't combine that notion with his 22 goals and expect a top tier winger. His production goes up and down, as does his impact in general.

I think that's fine. It's not like he's gonna be our new Thomas Vanek: the guy who's not good enough to carry an offense but we're expecting him to anyway. We've got other players we rely on more. He'll be a nice supplemental piece to those guys, hopefully.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
"I think they have a chance to win the cup" :handclap:
-Okposo on TSN on why Buffalo

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think that's fine. It's not like he's gonna be our new Thomas Vanek: the guy who's not good enough to carry an offense but we're expecting him to anyway. We've got other players we rely on more. He'll be a nice supplemental piece to those guys, hopefully.
Right. Totally fair.

Just want everyone to be prepared for an inconsistent ride. I brought up Stafford a few times because of that "if only he'd harness it nightly" stigma [[[[[[@joshjull]]]]]]

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
ehhhhhh... he has been dinged up in about half of his seasons...but yeah, he's not going to go Connolly and miss 4-6 weeks with pins and needles or 2 months with a broken heart...

Hoping people are going to accept him for what he is, and not continue to expect an elite offensive top line winger, which KO is not.

Stafford 2.0 ? :cry:

No doubt others here know more than me - but this is my thought & it makes me sick.

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006
I'm just happy that a sought-after UFA picked Buffalo for a change. :handclap: For so many years as a Sabres fan Free Agent Day was like being a poor kid on Christmas watching your friends playing with all their new toys when all you got was a pair of socks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad