Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Kyle Okposo (7 years, $6M AAV)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
He's also durable. Doesn't miss a lot of games.

I like that he'll be tradeable back home to MIN after BUF wins a couple cups.
ehhhhhh... he has been dinged up in about half of his seasons...but yeah, he's not going to go Connolly and miss 4-6 weeks with pins and needles or 2 months with a broken heart...

Hoping people are going to accept him for what he is, and not continue to expect an elite offensive top line winger, which KO is not.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
This is an excellent deal. Lucic got 6, Frans Neilson got $5. Darren helm $4. Backes 5 years @ 6 per. This is the best deal by a long way. Got the younger , stronger better player.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If the Sabres are going to pay $6Mx7, I'd much rather it go to Okposo than Lucic!

Hopefully this works out over the first 4 or 5 years.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The one nice thing this indicates to me is that we may have finally broken the perception barrier. Okposo took a deal perfectly in line with the other top free agents of the day. He came to Buffalo when there were probably comparable offers from other markets.

That's meaningful, and I assume the credit goes to our young core and Terry Pegula's influence on the franchise and the city. Hopefully it continues.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Love the player and the contract is better than what I was expecting so I feel a huge win today in free agency. He's better than Lucic and Eriksson and was had for the same price. That should say a lot that Buffalo isn't a place players don't want to play for anymore and we don't exactly have to massively overpay.

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I've been an Okposo fan for a while. Always felt like he would eventually end up with us with all the chatter over the years. I think the concerns of consistency are probably valid but for the money and what he brings when he does turn it up, I like this deal a lot. The Moulson / Okposo / Tavares line was a ton of fun to watch. Not getting my hopes up too high but maybe this gives Moulson a kick next season.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Good signing. We NEED to add talent right now. We have these Eichel and Reinhart entry deals.

Clock

May 13, 2006
More palatable at 6 million instead of 7, but I'm terrified of his production dropping off. Seven years is a long time.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The one nice thing this indicates to me is that we may have finally broken the perception barrier. Okposo took a deal perfectly in line with the other top free agents of the day. He came to Buffalo when there were probably comparable offers from other markets.

That's meaningful, and I assume the credit goes to our young core and Terry Pegula's influence on the franchise and the city. Hopefully it continues.

Yeah, that's a solid point. It was only a few years ago we were allegedly offering bigger contracts than any other team and still getting spurned. Okposo at 6x7 is completely in line with the market value of the other UFA signings today.

More palatable at 6 million instead of 7, but I'm terrified of his production dropping off. Seven years is a long time.

That's where the front-loading (to the extent that's possible with this CBA) is nice. Should make him moveable to a cap floor team later if that happens.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Agreed

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

I was in the same boat as you, but repeat after me: Front-loaded, signing bonuses, small market teams needing help to reach salary floor with high AAV but low real dollars.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Yeah, that's a solid point. It was only a few years ago we were allegedly offering bigger contracts than any other team and still getting spurned. Okposo at 6x7 is completely in line with the market value of the other UFA signings today.
Absolutely... it's bigger, conceptually, than what he will bring in terms of quantifiable or measurables.

I like that we got a guy atop the heap, and didn't have to blow everybody else out of the water $$-wise in order to do so.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

There is also the possibility of Moulson's influence as he and Okposo are close (godfather to kid thing). Moulson... all about the intangibles. :laugh:

Clock

May 13, 2006
I was in the same boat as you, but repeat after me: Front-loaded, signing bonuses, small market teams needing help to reach salary floor with high AAV but low real dollars.

Yup, great points. The league has certainly demonstrated that no contract is untouchable, anyhow.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
It's not like we are signing a third liner and asking him to play in the top 6.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
which of the sabres centers would okposo pair with best?

I pencil him in with ROR simply because I want to continue seeing what Reinhart and Eichel can do together. I expect he will move between the two a lot. Playing with ROR allows him to have the puck more, so it probably works well.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Lucic on TSN said he went to Edmonton for one reason - McDavid. And I'm sure for Okposo it was Eichel. Stud young 1C's are the hottest coeds on campus.

Regier took a bullet for the fans, had Tim Murray come in here when we still had the old core, his first NHL GM job, he couldn't/wouldn't be able to say to the owner 'my plan is to tear this team apart and be horrendously bad for a few years, accumulate draft picks, draft at the top of the draft'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad