Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Power 7 years $58.45 million ($8.35 million AAV)

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I have seen enough to know that he would be asking for $9M+ after 23-24.

So, this is a discount due to signing him before a "breakout".

Some takes in here just don't factor in the reality of the ability of player to move on from a team simply. Our negotiating room on Dahlin was almost nil because he was heading into a team-controlled year of RFA.

Power is different. I totally agree with that. But we had four years of team control when his current deal was out (someone correct if wrong). We definitely could play hardball with him (forgetting the consequences of doing that), but we bought three of his UFA years. To me, that's the story. I would want a fourth UFA year at this price. No question. But Power will be 28 when the contract is up and he's getting one more big one.

On these long-term deals, my biggest worry is less overpayment than value going to close to zero which mostly happened with Okposo, Leino and almost Skinner under Krueger. Keeping a guy on roster making 10% of cap who barely belongs in the NHL, that's the worry.

Sure it could happen with Power. But this takes him to 28 and barring major injury, not happening.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Modified 5 team no-trade only kicks in the last two years of the deal...kind of interesting? Flexibility if we want to flip this build because it stalled in 4-5 years?

I'm very curious what could have Power done this year that would have earned him a HIGHER contract next summer. He's not going to get PP1 time, and Dahlin is going to eat most of the choice O-zone starts, so Power isn't going to be an offensive dynamo.
We just see a different player then - I think Power is an offensive dynamo. When he finally scored last year he was so relieved because he had been snakebitten prior. He could have had 10-12 goals last year. He needs to improve his shot, but I'd bet on 15 this year before 4 again.

Yes, he's the 15th highest paid D starting next year (16th once Seider signs). More importantly, that is the highest he will ever rank on the D AAV list during this contract. We'll have to see when the two plots - his AAV among D and his quality among D - cross in the future. I'll guess year two of the contract when he's the 20th highest paid and 20th best D in the league. Year four - 12th best and 25th highest paid? Year seven - 8th best D and 40th highest paid?

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Modified 5 team no-trade only kicks in the last two years of the deal...kind of interesting? Flexibility if we want to flip this build because it stalled in 4-5 years?

We just see a different player then - I think Power is an offensive dynamo. When he finally scored last year he was so relieved because he had been snakebitten prior. He could have had 10-12 goals last year. He needs to improve his shot, but I'd bet on 15 this year before 4 again.

Yes, he's the 15th highest paid D starting next year (16th once Seider signs). More importantly, that is the highest he will ever rank on the D AAV list during this contract. We'll have to see when the two plots - his AAV among D and his quality among D - cross in the future. I'll guess year two of the contract when he's the 20th highest paid and 20th best D in the league. Year four - 12th best and 25th highest paid? Year seven - 8th best D and 40th highest paid?
I think it was Joe or Lance on Maintenance Day, but they talked about how, like Dahlin earlier in his career, needs to work on his shot. They also mentioned that Power had improving his shot as a point of emphasis this off season.

I think a Dahlin-esque development curve, minus the Ralph years, is something that we can see happen. I think the biggest thing hurting his production will be Dahlin's presence on PP1.

But, Dahlin & Power for the next 8 years will be a younger and more offensively-minded version of Nieds & Pronger on the Ducks back in the day.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I think Power will still be able to produce fairly well on PP2. He likely ends up with less minutes than Dahlin but there's 8-9 quality FWs to put together two solid units.

That's another good reason the contract is done and he's signed for 8 more years (7+1). Most first overall defensemen would be on PP1 but with Dahlin Power was probably never going to get that role and it will affect his points, which could affect his contract. Now that's he's signed it's not a worry for him.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
You would think the Sabres had won the cup given the $ being thrown out for the last 2 contracts. Sorry but $20 million per for 2 unproven Dmen is beyond insane. I say KA is fired in 2 years if the Sabres don't make the playoffs. You heard it on HFBoards first folks lol.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
You would think the Sabres had won the cup given the $ being thrown out for the last 2 contracts. Sorry but $20 million per for 2 unproven Dmen is beyond insane. I say KA is fired in 2 years if the Sabres don't make the playoffs. You heard it on HFBoards first folks lol.

How far past insane is beyond insane?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Are you [redacted] or are you pretending? Dahlin is an untested Dmen, okay, even Power, although he has great potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There were what? four? NHL defensemen who had more ESTOI than Power in the league last year: EK, Doughty, Adam Larsson and Vince Dunn. He did a bunch of that with a AAAA player as his partner in Clague and still managed to push a positive goal differential. Sure, he likely won't eat 90-100 seconds of every powerplay. But the 20-ish minutes a night he's keying the transition and attack at even strength is already very good and he's only played a single season.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

Can't have clauses on years that would have been RFA or something like that.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
In what world is Dahlin unproven?

in what world is dahlin unproven??
giphy.gif

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
So you're saying, right here, in this world, Dahlin is unproven?

Reactions: Paxon

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I have seen enough to know that he would be asking for $9M+ after 23-24.

So, this is a discount due to signing him before a "breakout"

Makar got 9M a year scoring at a PPG pace during his ELC.

Being a 10.2c RFA, they COULD have kept his bridge deal down a bit. No arb rights, can't be offersheeted.

Once you start eating UFA years it starts getting expensive, however. I don't think he could reasonably demand that kind of long term deal without getting at least one 60-70 point season under his belt.

Of course, we could just hand it to him and hope for the best...which is what we did.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Being a 10.2c RFA, they COULD have kept his bridge deal down a bit. No arb rights, can't be offersheeted.

Once you start eating UFA years it starts getting expensive, however. I don't think he could reasonably demand that kind of long term deal without getting at least one 60-70 point season under his belt.

Of course, we could just hand it to him and hope for the best...which is what we did.
I mean...it's just like spilling chili and hoping it lands in a bowl...

Reactions: brian_griffin

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Let me just say this, I'm not maligning Power as a player. He was good last year.

But good rookie years != good careers. My issue here is giving away that kind of term and dollars without:

1. Significant on ice proof over several seasons he is worth the contract. Power was impressive last year, for a rookie. You know who was on the all rookie team a few years ago? Ty Smith, who just passed through waivers.
2. The complete lack of any real reason as to "why" the deal had to be done before the season started. No real benefit other than a potential for cost savings.

We don't know who Power is yet. We could have gotten a whole seasons worth of information without any risk, and the absolute worse case scenario is we MIGHT have had to pay him a pittance more than we committed to.

Just a real lack of any sort of strategy or patience from the front office.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Just a real lack of any sort of strategy or patience from the front office.

How on earth can you say that there's a "lack of any sort of strategy" from the front office?!?!?!?

The strategy is in big bold letters, even if you disagree with it: Identify the core players, lock them up to long-term deals that hopefully age well. It worked with Tage, Thompson and Samuelsson. The hope now is that it'll work with Dahlin and Power.

Like, it's crystal clear. Adams wants a core of players that want to be here and is locking them up early and long-term..........

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
How on earth can you say that there's a "lack of any sort of strategy" from the front office?!?!?!?

The strategy is in big bold letters, even if you disagree with it: Identify the core players, lock them up to long-term deals that hopefully age well. It worked with Tage, Thompson and Samuelsson. The hope now is that it'll work with Dahlin and Power.

Like, it's crystal clear. Adams wants a core of players that want to be here and is locking them up early and long-term..........
Oh no no...KA just let's the beans fall where they may, and we hope they don't get mashed into the carpet.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Sanderson also got 8x8 after a rookie year without Makar-like offensive numbers.

If they gave Power the 3x$6-7M bridge ala Dahlin, you would kill them when his third contract was $11M+.

There was no scenario short of Power have a bad year in 23-24 that ended with the next 7 years as a Sabre being cheaper than what this contract is for.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
It's because he's only eligible for a no-trade clause when he would otherwise be eligible for unrestricted free agency - that is, during the last two years of the deal.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Sanderson also got 8x8 after a rookie year without Makar-like offensive numbers.

If they gave Power the 3x$6-7M bridge ala Dahlin, you would kill them when his third contract was $11M+.

There was no scenario short of Power have a bad year in 23-24 that ended with the next 7 years as a Sabre being cheaper than what this contract is for.
Imagine hoping that your 1OA pick has a sophomore slump and calling THAT a "strategy" for cap management.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

If Power is an elite d-man, paying him 11M isn't a problem, especially if the cap is 100M by then.

The problem is going to be is, what if he's just a good d-man and you are locked into paying him 8.75M.

Let's play devils advocate a second:

So lets say they go my suggested route:

Let's give him a 7M per bridge deal.

And let's say he aces the next 3 years, and is now a 12M a year d-man.

8x 12

What are you paying him the next 7 years?

21M for the first 3 years
48M for the next 4 years.

69 M.

What are we paying now, regardless of what happens?

58.45M.

The savings, over 7 years, is 1.5M per year, at the absolute worst case scenario.

There isn't a reward here, only risk.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If Power is an elite d-man, paying him 11M isn't a problem, especially if the cap is 100M by then.

The problem is going to be is, what if he's just a good d-man and you are locked into paying him 8.75M.

Let's play devils advocate a second:

So lets say they go my suggested route:

Let's give him a 7M per bridge deal.

And let's say he aces the next 3 years, and is now a 12M a year d-man.

8x 12

What are you paying him the next 7 years?

21M for the first 3 years
48M for the next 4 years.

69 M.

What are we paying now, regardless of what happens?

61.25M.

The savings, over 7 years, is 1M per year, at the absolute worst case scenario.

There isn't a reward here, only risk.
Let's play devil's advocate...

Go back to having a penny pinching reputation, not wanting to take care of your guys, nobody wants to stay, nobody wants to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00