Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Power 7 years $58.45 million ($8.35 million AAV)

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
They have the second lowest payroll in the league this season. 25 million in projected cap space next year and plenty of ELCs to join the payroll. If they aren’t in the bottom third yet again next year…then talk to me about the Pegula’s investments.

or whenever they get that top 4 D and goalie.

When all else fails, double down on your stupidity.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think power has a bright future. But you know what is dumber than paying for past performance? Paying for potential performance that hasn’t happened yet. Nothing power could do this season would have driven his price higher than this, especially since he won’t get PP1 time behind Dahlin. Like the Samuelsson deal, paying for the guy you hope he might be rather than letting them show you who they are.

Reactions: Tatanka

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
it’s gonna be a really good contract for us in 2-3 years time. probably 3-4 aav what he’ll actually be worth. great to get it done. now we can just watch the kid grow

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
This is great. Hopefully the kid developed a shot over the off season but anyone not happy with him to date is stupid. Kid is gonna be dynamite. Awesome that he is one of many now wanting to be a Buffalo Sabre for a long time! Great job KA!
GMKA's mantra of only wanting people who want to be here was so tiresome at first. WOW! It is showing itself to be a great qualifier!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Felt it was 2 million per year too much. He’s got a bit to grow into to be worth that much.

But the job of long term retention is done and seeing as Adams did a decent job on the other contracts, it washes out in the end.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
But you know what is dumber than paying for past performance? Paying for potential performance that hasn’t happened yet
There are literally no contracts signed that aren't either paying for past performance or paying for potential future performance. They can't both be dumb, or all contracts ever would be dumb...
Nothing power could do this season would have driven his price higher than this, especially since he won’t get PP1 time behind Dahlin.
A 10-45-57 season with improving defense following his 4-31-35 last year would put him close to $10m I'd think.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Felt it was 2 million per year too much. He’s got a bit to grow into to be worth that much.

But the job of long term retention is done and seeing as Adams did a decent job on the other contracts, it washes out in the end.
This deal buys 4 UFA years, so the price isn’t going to be the same as what a bridge would be.

The idea is that by the time he hits his UFA years he is outperforming his contract by $2m per year (or more depending on the cap at that time). We’ll see if the gamble pays off, I think it will.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think power has a bright future. But you know what is dumber than paying for past performance? Paying for potential performance that hasn’t happened yet. Nothing power could do this season would have driven his price higher than this, especially since he won’t get PP1 time behind Dahlin. Like the Samuelsson deal, paying for the guy you hope he might be rather than letting them show you who they are.
Nothing this team does will ever make you happy.

It's been real.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Sounds like a good reason for Power to want to leave Buffalo then.

• Haha
Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Good deal. Happy it's done. You can argue for tweaks here and there, and you might be right, but the bottom line is the cap hit is good, and he's locked for eight years, counting 2023-24. Kevyn Adams has held his cards tight, and that's a good sign. He's navigating ownership and agents and coming out smelling pretty good. I still believe he needs a big deal to bring in another D at the expense of forward prospects, and it could happen soon.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
With only 13 players signed.

When they fill the remaining 10 spots with the remaining 25 million of cap space, the cap may even be a bit dicey, especially if Mitts or Krebs break out and are looking at healthy raises.

This is where having a stacked prospect pool is nice. Savoie, Kulich, and Rosen are all guys who could potentially (heck, are even pretty likely to) make the jump next year. Plus Johnson on D.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
So is the TPegs cheap narrative dead yet

He's changed the narrative in my eyes, for sure.

Last year, he could have paid some bucks for free picks, and it would be nice to get a free 4th or 5th, but the value proposition for that is pretty crazy bad, and only megabucks teams are going to do that.

I'm not holding Pegula to deals like Christian Ehrhoff, and I'm not demanding even those crazy manipulations of LTIR other teams do.

The only thing I want from Terry is decently close to the cap and not way under. With a hard cap, a GM like Kevyn Adams has plenty to work with if Terry is close to the cap limit.

My opinion is bad luck can derail us but Pegula is doing what I want as owner.

(PS. He could get rid of Delaware North, LOL)

2 things would make him happy

Pegula sell the team
and/or
Kevyn Adams gets fired

?

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Didn't you have a similar opinion on the Tage deal? That saved them millions, what would Tage have gotten after the season he just had? 9+ most likely. If the coaches and KA have that kind of faith in Power and where he's headed to sign him to that deal, then right now I'd say they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Didn't you have a similar opinion on the Tage deal? That saved them millions, what would Tage have gotten after the season he just had? 9+ most likely. If the coaches and KA have that kind of faith in Power and where he's headed to sign him to that deal, then right now I'd say they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, he did.

No, he won’t acknowledge it

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Bro what? You realize signing your guys long term before they break out is one of the best things you can do? Are you trolling lol?

How the contract looks in the future compared to the current cap with expected jumps

Year 1 7.9M (9.5%)

Year 2 7.5M (9%)

Year 3 7.2M (8.65%)

Year 4 6.9M (8.26%)

Year 5 6.6M (7.9%)

Year 6 6.3M (7.6%)

Year 7 6.1M (7.3%)

So we would have our #1 overall pick top d man at around 6M-7M value for most of his contract. Oh the horror! Fire Adams now! Am I doing it right?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Probably like 12

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
When all else fails, double down on your stupidity.
Regardless of whether that was an ad hominen or not, I laughed heartily.
Is that circular logic? Not paying for potential performance that hasn't happened yet creates the dichotomy of paying more for that performance when it does happen.
Glad Power is signed. The Dahlin signing made Power the next domino.
I think the Samuelsson deal was better value than Power's deal, and Power's deal was fair. I believe Samuelsson did show what he was, it's just that the counting stats guys didn't want to consider the fancy stats.
Samuelsson is the store-brand label product with the same ingredients and nutritional value as the name brand label product, made in the same factory on the same equipment on the first and third weeks of the month instead of the second and fourth weeks.

All the bitching about Adams in July is now put to rest in October. Dude waited until 2 days before the prom to snag the best date AND double up with her best friend for the evening.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
This is where having a stacked prospect pool is nice. Savoie, Kulich, and Rosen are all guys who could potentially (heck, are even pretty likely to) make the jump next year. Plus Johnson on D.
I assume Savoie ans Benson will both make the jump to the Sabres full time next season, to replace Girgs and Okposo, numbers-wise.

So that means there's only one spot for Biro/Rousek/Rosen/Kulich/Cederqvist et al. all to fight for, and it will probably be for a spot on the 4th line with Greenway and Krebs. I think Cederqvist has a real shot next year, and Rosen/Kulich have a real shot at being traded.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I like the risk-taking.
My gut feel is that it’s a high AAV without enough time to see if trajectory will make it a win for the team. However if the team have gambled right, and Owen continues to grow and improve then we have potentially a contending core locked in for the next 7 years and that’s an age in this league!

Still feels like a risky bet rather than a safe one at this point of his career.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
People who still want to give out bridge deals to players they are confident will be very good are, to put it lightly, morons.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad