Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Power 7 years $58.45 million ($8.35 million AAV)

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yes. Do you think he has proven himself to be tied to be the highest paid Dmen in the NHL ?

- Never been even close to winning the D scoring in the league
- Never won the Norris
- Never been a finalist for the Norris
- Never won a playoff series
- Never even played in a playoff game

KA had to play hardball with him and he caved. Not his money I guess. But the Sabres are going to cap hell without the success it usually takes.

So I guess the question is: Would you bet your right arm that the Sabres make the playoffs in the next two years ? I would not. Too good a division. Besides I like my right arm lol.
Just shut up and get out

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
Just shut up and get out
The Eeyore's on here absolutely *love* that Jokiharju started the season paired with Power, because it lets them keep saying Adams didn't add a top-4 D. He added Johnson who is a former top-pair D (admittedly in decline), and Clifton who was 3rd pair on the best regular season team ever and who might ascend...but they're not playing top-4 in game one so checkmate Adams defenders!

I sincerely recommend just yeeting them on sight. I see the phrase "Adams didn't add a top-4 D" and I've mashed the ignore button 4 times before I even finish the sentence.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
The Eeyore's on here absolutely *love* that Jokiharju started the season paired with Power, because it lets them keep saying Adams didn't add a top-4 D. He added Johnson who is a former top-pair D (admittedly in decline), and Clifton who was 3rd pair on the best regular season team ever and who might ascend...but they're not playing top-4 in game one so checkmate Adams defenders!

I sincerely recommend just yeeting them on sight. I see the phrase "Adams didn't add a top-4 D" and I've mashed the ignore button 4 times before I even finish the sentence.
I’ve been ready to nuke Joki off to the sun. Not to derail the thread, but I honestly don’t even think he’s an NHL defenseman in any capacity. Draft position gives some guys a lot of leeway. Draft position and playing RD gives guys years before teams can actually admit what everyone sees. There’s a reason Chicago jumped at the opportunity to see if Nylander could be fixed. It’s really my only major complaint about KA

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
This is a discount. You'd have a point if this was a one year deal. The cap is rising by a lot. It's like complaining about Stutzle not being a discount last year when they gave him 8M or Hughes at 8M.

Waiting to see his worth is what we did with Dahlin. Could you imagine if we had Dahlin signed long term at 7M right now? Instead he's getting a much bigger deal.

I don't care if he's not on the PP1. He still plays 24 minutes a game.

"The obvious thing to do here would have been to bridge him this summer." That is the absolute worst thing to do. The cap will be near 100M at that point. If Power is getting 50-60 points (very reasonable projection) he could easily push for 11M.
Dahlins side wanted a bridge deal, nothing the GM could do when a player bets on himself. We were lucky Power agreed to a longterm deal and not going for a bridge.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Yes. Do you think he has proven himself to be tied to be the highest paid Dmen in the NHL ?

- Never been even close to winning the D scoring in the league
- Never won the Norris
- Never been a finalist for the Norris
- Never won a playoff series
- Never even played in a playoff game

KA had to play hardball with him and he caved. Not his money I guess. But the Sabres are going to cap hell without the success it usually takes.

So I guess the question is: Would you bet your right arm that the Sabres make the playoffs in the next two years ? I would not. Too good a division. Besides I like my right arm lol.
If you're going to play that game, I'll point out he's only making (or should I say making only) $6M this season...

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Dahlins side wanted a bridge deal, nothing the GM could do when a player bets on himself. We were lucky Power agreed to a longterm deal and not going for a bridge.
I mean there's certainly an argument to have preferred a bridge deal for Power. Signing him to a 3 or 4 year deal would have left him as an RFA, following which he could be signed to a long-term deal. That deal would almost certainly be pricier than the one he did sign, but it would also eat up more of his UFA years. Now, I can certainly see why Power wanted a long-term deal, especially as it will leave him as an unrestricted free agent at 28, and well poised to cash in on another long-term deal.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Do you think he has proven himself to be tied to be the highest paid Dmen in the NHL ?
He's making $6M this season, which is WAY under what he's worth.......and then he's at $11M, which is 0.5M AAV under Karlsson.

He is RIGHT NOW scheduled to be the T-2nd highest paid Dman in the NHL in 24/25 (with Doughty)......we'll see if he's still that when the season begins. And by the time the contract is 2/3 years old, he might even slide out of the top 5 highest-paid Dmen.

Reactions: BG82

Hudini

Jan 26, 2019
I assume Savoie ans Benson will both make the jump to the Sabres full time next season, to replace Girgs and Okposo, numbers-wise.

So that means there's only one spot for Biro/Rousek/Rosen/Kulich/Cederqvist et al. all to fight for, and it will probably be for a spot on the 4th line with Greenway and Krebs. I think Cederqvist has a real shot next year, and Rosen/Kulich have a real shot at being traded.
You're leaving out Jost and Olo as departures. Also Kulich>Savoie IMO.

Reactions: Beerz

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
He's making $6M this season, which is WAY under what he's worth.......and then he's at $11M, which is 0.5M AAV under Karlsson.

He is RIGHT NOW scheduled to be the T-2nd highest paid Dman in the NHL in 24/25 (with Doughty)......we'll see if he's still that when the season begins. And by the time the contract is 2/3 years old, he might even slide out of the top 5 highest-paid Dmen.
Dahlin is right there with Makar as perennial Norris candidates over the next decade.. High probability were gonna have two of the top five DMen over the next decade.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

12. Thirty continues to be a very important number in negotiating circles. One of the reasons Owen Power’s extension got done is because Buffalo agreed to drop from eight years to seven, so Power’s next contract would kick in before he turns 29. Colorado and Devon Toews would’ve reached an extension long ago if he wasn’t about to turn 30. Teams are hard on the aging curve — 34 appears to be where many think the final drop comes — so that’s a huge factor in all of these conversations. One thing that could help Toews: he’s played only 318 NHL games. Less mileage.

That is a really interesting tidbit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad