Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Power 7 years $58.45 million ($8.35 million AAV)

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I think power has a bright future. But you know what is dumber than paying for past performance? Paying for potential performance that hasn’t happened yet. Nothing power could do this season would have driven his price higher than this, especially since he won’t get PP1 time behind Dahlin. Like the Samuelsson deal, paying for the guy you hope he might be rather than letting them show you who they are.
Ugh then what do GMs do throw a dartboard for salaries?

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Pay as you go :sarcasm: Give out a paycheck each week based on how doak feels about the players performance that week.
Piece rate. We just have to be sure that they at least get minimum wage. I can probably pull an API from some of the stats sites out there, and I’m sure I can steal some VBA code from StackOverflow so that Kevyn can just run a macro each week which he can upload to the payroll system.

Side note: I am really happy that I am no longer an accountant at a manufacturing firm.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Pay as you go :sarcasm: Give out a paycheck each week based on how doak feels about the players performance that week.
Kinda crazy, but I'd actually like pro sports to figure out a way to more directly reward actual individual and team success through compensation, at least for a portion of it. So yes, paying for results. The TBT basketball tournament, $1 million winner-take-all is as riveting as it gets. If there were $100 million up for grabs along with the Stanley Cup...must see TV.

Last edited:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Piece rate. We just have to be sure that they at least get minimum wage. I can probably pull an API from some of the stats sites out there, and I’m sure I can steal some VBA code from StackOverflow so that Kevyn can just run a macro each week which he can upload to the payroll system.

Side note: I am really happy that I am no longer an accountant at a manufacturing firm.
Pay is based on xGF% each game. Is that still the hot new stat? Probably not.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
FB_IMG_1697089277029.jpg
FB_IMG_1697089279127.jpg

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
A bit rich for my taste but I trust the decision makers who believe in him. The timing of this announcement is sure interesting though lmao

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
No f***ing distractions. That's what I love most about this. No constant Mike Harrington passive aggressive soundbites. Trusting in the players, and showing them that we're serious. It's just a great feeling. Power is an excellent defensemen and is a better overall talent than Sanderson. Eat it, Ottawa.

Reactions: oldgoalie and Dex

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
A bit rich for my taste but I trust the decision makers who believe in him. The timing of this announcement is sure interesting though lmao
Their salaries all ridiculous , so are tickets, parking and beer . Hard to support.

I like the team and the sport/ entertainment, im in for this year. Beyond who knows. Good luck, sabres

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
My first reaction is that this is a little pricey & one year too short. In my head i'd come to 8 x 8 for Power, with Sanderson later getting more or less that exact deal as a direct comparable.

With that said - I'm more than happy to have him locked up. Seven years makes sense from the viewpoint that you have him staggered between Dahlin & Cozens/TT.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
sweet finally a owner/GM solidifying when nice things happen not like past regimes self destruct a la the Briere/Drury situation (the ones who came after that don't even deserve to be named)

this looks like the building of perennial contender, I love it, let s GO!

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Bro what? You realize signing your guys long term before they break out is one of the best things you can do? Are you trolling lol?

How the contract looks in the future compared to the current cap with expected jumps

Year 1 7.9M (9.5%)

Year 2 7.5M (9%)

Year 3 7.2M (8.65%)

Year 4 6.9M (8.26%)

Year 5 6.6M (7.9%)

Year 6 6.3M (7.6%)

Year 7 6.1M (7.3%)

So we would have our #1 overall pick top d man at around 6M-7M value for most of his contract. Oh the horror! Fire Adams now! Am I doing it right?
The AAV is the only thing that matters to the cap, saying you have your #1 overall pick for 6M means absolutely nothing to me other than if he's bad, he's tradeable, maybe.

Just because he's getting paid 6M some seasons doesn't make his AAV go down allowing room for more signings.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Cap Ceiling Team and beyond!!! Finally its our turn to circumvent. Skinner start practicing your fake injuries now!!! We’ll need that LTIR space to fit McDavid under the cap.

Reactions: Matt Ress

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I am surprised that Power and his agent were willing to go for a 7 year deal at this point in time. But, I love that Kevyn locked him up for under $9M per.

He gets to lock in generational wealth, and as long as he plays up to his contract he’s set up for a mega deal after this one expires. It only buys the first portion of his UFA years. Seems like a win-win all around.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He gets to lock in generational wealth, and as long as he plays up to his contract he’s set up for a mega deal after this one expires. It only buys the first portion of his UFA years. Seems like a win-win all around.
If I were his agent, I would not have talked about this deal until mid-way through this season. At the earliest. His value is highly unlikely to go down this season. And I think he put up numbers this year that makes this deal look really team friendly before it kicks in.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If I were his agent, I would not have talked about this deal until mid-way through this season. At the earliest. His value is highly unlikely to go down this season. And I think he put up numbers this year that makes this deal look really team friendly before it kicks in.
I bet that was his agent's plan at the time of Dahlin's signing -- something must have changed his mind.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
There are literally no contracts signed that aren't either paying for past performance or paying for potential future performance. They can't both be dumb, or all contracts ever would be dumb...

A 10-45-57 season with improving defense following his 4-31-35 last year would put him close to $10m I'd think.

Bro what? You realize signing your guys long term before they break out is one of the best things you can do? Are you trolling lol?

How the contract looks in the future compared to the current cap with expected jumps

Year 1 7.9M (9.5%)

Year 2 7.5M (9%)

Year 3 7.2M (8.65%)

Year 4 6.9M (8.26%)

Year 5 6.6M (7.9%)

Year 6 6.3M (7.6%)

Year 7 6.1M (7.3%)

So we would have our #1 overall pick top d man at around 6M-7M value for most of his contract. Oh the horror! Fire Adams now! Am I doing it right?

Regardless of whether that was an ad hominen or not, I laughed heartily.

Is that circular logic? Not paying for potential performance that hasn't happened yet creates the dichotomy of paying more for that performance when it does happen.
Glad Power is signed. The Dahlin signing made Power the next domino.
I think the Samuelsson deal was better value than Power's deal, and Power's deal was fair. I believe Samuelsson did show what he was, it's just that the counting stats guys didn't want to consider the fancy stats.
Samuelsson is the store-brand label product with the same ingredients and nutritional value as the name brand label product, made in the same factory on the same equipment on the first and third weeks of the month instead of the second and fourth weeks.

All the bitching about Adams in July is now put to rest in October. Dude waited until 2 days before the prom to snag the best date AND double up with her best friend for the evening.

The issue with this we simply haven't seen enough of Power to know what he's worth. Usually when you 'pay for future performance' you get some sort of discount by signing before they breakout. Similar to what he did with Thompson, they felt there was upside there, took a bit of a risk by signing him long term early on the back of a strong season.

You don't make them the 15th highest paid defensemen in the league. It's even worse when you consider that he was a 10.2c RFA, meaning he had absolutely zero leverage. This is the Samuelsson deal on steroids where you give out a long term deal with only 1 rookie season on paper.

I'm very curious what could have Power done this year that would have earned him a HIGHER contract next summer. He's not going to get PP1 time, and Dahlin is going to eat most of the choice O-zone starts, so Power isn't going to be an offensive dynamo. The comp here is Ekblad...but that Ekblad contract isn't good. He's had one strong season so far.

The obvious thing to do here would have been to bridge him this summer. a 2-3 year deal, in the 6M or so range, and deal with the the long term contract down the road a bit when you know who he is going to be in the NHL. Is he going to be a have a solid NHL career like Jay Bouwmeester, Erik Johnson, or Ekblad, or is he going to be an absolute Elite d-man. And then figure out his contract. Right now, it can literally go either way. But we're going to be paying him like a top tier one regardless.

Just another dumb decision by Adams.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The issue with this we simply haven't seen enough of Power to know what he's worth. Usually when you 'pay for future performance' you get some sort of discount by signing before they breakout. Similar to what he did with Thompson, they felt there was upside there, took a bit of a risk by signing him long term early on the back of a strong season.

You don't make them the 15th highest paid defensemen in the league. It's even worse when you consider that he was a 10.2c RFA, meaning he had absolutely zero leverage. This is the Samuelsson deal on steroids where you give out a long term deal with only 1 rookie season on paper.

I'm very curious what could have Power done this year that would have earned him a HIGHER contract next summer. He's not going to get PP1 time, and Dahlin is going to eat most of the choice O-zone starts, so Power isn't going to be an offensive dynamo. The comp here is Ekblad...but that Ekblad contract isn't good. He's had one strong season so far.

The obvious thing to do here would have been to bridge him this summer. a 2-3 year deal, in the 6M or so range, and deal with the the long term contract down the road a bit when you know who he is going to be in the NHL. Is he going to be a have a solid NHL career like Jay Bouwmeester, Erik Johnson, or Ekblad, or is he going to be an absolute Elite d-man. And then figure out his contract. Right now, it can literally go either way. But we're going to be paying him like a top tier one regardless.

Just another dumb decision by Adams.
I have seen enough to know that he would be asking for $9M+ after 23-24.

So, this is a discount due to signing him before a "breakout".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad