Waived: Sabres claim LW Axel Jonsson-Fjallby off waivers from WSH

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I honestly think it may only be funny because it was Fabio.

If the headline read Chuck Norris or Bruce Smith, I think I would just feel bad for the goose, but the imagery of Fabio getting smacked in the face with a goose is somewhat hysterical.

It’d still be funny. But the fact that it happened to a model for romance novel covers just makes it that much more hilarious.

It’d be like if Ryan Reynolds or Zac Efron had it happen to them, compared to Steve Buscemi. Still funny, but not as funny.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Caps fans all say that he has speed to burn and is very good defensively and on the PK. But that he's also kinda useless/clueless offensively.

I'm guessing that this is a way to send Hayden down but still carry 2 spare forwards? (Eakin being the other spare)

Hey, we mostly loved Larsson, and he didn't even have speed to burn. If this kid can play a role well, I'll be a fan.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This is who we use our waiver priority on? Not a goaltender?

I was sure we'd be nabbing a tender with our waiver claim

buffalodiesnt get one bite and go to the back if the line.

they get first dibs on all waivers till November 1. From then it’s lowest team in standing.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I really think Eakin is moved out before the season starts. The end of year scratch and adding bodies. Retain 50% and get a goalie.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I was just thinking they should waive Eakin and pick up another player via waivers. Does anyone know anything about Rem Pitlick? Has he been playing center at the pro level?

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
I was just thinking they should waive Eakin and pick up another player via waivers. Does anyone know anything about Rem Pitlick? Has he been playing center at the pro level?

I hope they claim Pitlick. Sounds similar to AJF speed, shot, motor but a centre. Can use more depth to push Eakin down the depth chart. Can always just waive him if he doesn't add anything.

Reactions: brian_griffin

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I wish I could write phonetically here's my best attempt at a breakdown:

F-Yell-Be
Or
Fee-L-B (misses the j component)

Honestly makes it sound like Fjällbi instead of Fjällby but close enough.
Couldn't find a good word for the Y sound in swedish. It's sort of like an i with an uhh (öhh) underneath

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
He was a really popular player in Djurgården in swedish elite league couple of years ago and in the swedish junior team he played great,he is fast and can create some offensive game and seems bigger on the ice than he is listed so plays with a lot of heart and a really good pick up.

Axel Jonsson Fjällby 17/18 SHL Highlights | Djurgården Hockey - YouTube

And in english his last name Fjällby is Mountain Village so Axel the Mountain Village then

Last edited:

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Yeah it will be interesting to see if the Sabres go with a true youth movement. And waive or trade some of the veterans. Does Eakin or okposo and others deserve a roster spot over a hungry player and what is better for the development of the team? Using the vets has not resulted in more wins

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Stick handling is one of his biggest flaws. I liked him entering his draft year, and watched him in deep keepers. As long as Kevin Adams keeps doing this all season, I'm good with a simmer approach. But, remain active. We should have claimed Clague over some of the trash we signed on 925K deals.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Put him on a line with girgensons and caggiula. They will generate plenty of chances and capitalize on .00027 of them

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

they get first dibs on all waivers till November 1. From then it’s lowest team in standing.
Unless the league pushes that date out because the season is starting ~10-14 days later than usual due to the offseason COVID schedule.

I really think Eakin is moved out before the season starts. The end of year scratch and adding bodies. Retain 50% and get a goalie.
Can't tell from your post if you mean pick up a goalie on waivers to fill a spot vacated by Eakin, or to move Eakin for a goalie. I don't think any NHL team is trading for Cody Eakin, even at 50% retained, as for the remaining 50% of his salary paid by the acquiring team, the acquiring team could instead sign a better value player for </= $1.1M.

He was a really popular player in Djurgården in swedish elite league couple of years ago and in the swedish junior team he played great,he is fast and can create some offensive game and seems bigger on the ice than he is listed so plays with a lot of heart and a really good pick up.

Axel Jonsson Fjällby 17/18 SHL Highlights | Djurgården Hockey - YouTube

And in english his last name Fjällby is Mountain Village so Axel the Mountain Village then
in hockey language, his name translates as "Mike Grier with hands".

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
Unless the league pushes that date out because the season is starting ~10-14 days later than usual due to the offseason COVID schedule.

Can't tell from your post if you mean pick up a goalie on waivers to fill a spot vacated by Eakin, or to move Eakin for a goalie. I don't think any NHL team is trading for Cody Eakin, even at 50% retained, as for the remaining 50% of his salary paid by the acquiring team, the acquiring team could instead sign a better value player for </= $1.1M.

in hockey language, his name translates as "Mike Grier with hands".

That'd be incredible if he could be Mike Grier with hands.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
Thank to everyone who pointed this out. I thought we'd go to the back of the line after a claim.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
He reverts to Hershey if he doesn't stick with Buffalo.

Is this our new Toby Rieder?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
He reverts to Hershey if he doesn't stick with Buffalo.

Is this our new Toby Rieder?
If the Sabres waive him and Washington is the only team to place a waiver claim, then Washington will be able to send him directly to Hershey. However if no one claims him, he remains in the Sabres system and can be sent to Rochester. If any team other than Washington, or multiple teams including or not including Washington, claims him, then he goes to the team which has the highest waiver priority, is on their NHL roster, and cannot be sent down without subsequently clearing waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad