Waived: Sabres claim LW Axel Jonsson-Fjallby off waivers from WSH

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
But there’s no idea when his visa comes in. He had to re-apply for it once his employer changed.
I'm sure they have an idea. Player trades happen in the NHL. They know how to expedite the process. Did they want this kid or not?

If you tell me that someone else came along today, that they want to claim even more; that's another story.

Otherwise, they should have known they were sticking with their group. Nothing wrong with that; Hayden showed well, and why cut him as the 13 or 14th forward?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I'm sure they have an idea. Player trades happen in the NHL. They know how to expedite the process. Did they want this kid or not?

If you tell me that someone else came along today, that they want to claim even more; that's another story.

Otherwise, they should have known they were sticking with their group. Nothing wrong with that; Hayden showed well, and why cut him as the 13 or 14th forward?

They obviously don’t, seeing he didn’t play in any preseason games. Doing so counts as employment then, even though nobody is getting the dinero.

Regardless, let’s wait until we see if he clears or not.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
The only impact the visa has is he couldn't show his stuff in a preseason game.

They've scouted him enough. He's not an 18 yo draft eligible lottery ticket. He'll be 24 in February. Did the Sabres think he was a young player that had a future with the Sabres or not?

They have/had him under contract for 164 more NHL games and an RFA after that. Who cares if his visa was delayed another week or two?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
So make the spot for him. No game until Thursday. 13 other forwards to start games.
Here's my take. They make no promises, this is the NHL. The Sabres claimed him with the idea that he would have a shot at making an NHL roster, but he was still in the mix as far as competition. Nothing is guaranteed. These guys know this. Since he was headed to Hersey anyway, certainly he would welcome the opportunity. During the three games he could have competed but didn't, Peterka made the roster, and Tage solidified his center position at least in the short term. They also have players that are ready to come up from Roch to fill in. Does it make them look bad or does it suck for him? Yes. But at the start of the season, you want the best roster possible given you player status' and situation.

I don't have an issue on how this played out as I think they are trying to ice the best team they can.

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Here's my take. They make no promises, this is the NHL. The Sabres claimed him with the idea that he would have a shot at making an NHL roster, but he was still in the mix as far as competition. Nothing is guaranteed. These guys know this. Since he was headed to Hersey anyway, certainly he would welcome the opportunity. During the three games he could have competed but didn't, Peterka made the roster, and Tage solidified his center position at least in the short term. They also have players that are ready to come up from Roch to fill in. Does it make them look bad or does it suck for him? Yes. But at the start of the season, you want the best roster possible given you player status' and situation.

I don't have an issue on how this played out as I think they are trying to ice the best team they can.

Good points.

I think Granato is looking to ice the best team this season from who he has available. He is also loyal to his guys.

As a fan, I want to win this year, but want to start competing for playoffs sooner than later. Waivers rarely gives you much, but I like to explore the possibility that they pick up a 23/24 yo that may have a future on this team over the likes of an Eakin.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
Can’t wait for him to get a secondary assist on some Thursday night game in February so we can all lose our minds about the Sabres’ asset mismanagement.

Reactions: joshjull

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Him not getting into preseason games doesn’t afford him the chance to show what he can do to Granato. It isn’t a surprise that they waived him, also is not a surprise that the Caps reclaimed him since they can complete the assignment to Hershey.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Prediction: the Caps waive him, no one claims him and he gets sent down to Hershey. The only way he gets claimed is if someone has an NHL roster spot open for him

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Prediction: the Caps waive him, no one claims him and he gets sent down to Hershey. The only way he gets claimed is if someone has an NHL roster spot open for him

Isn’t he immune from claim on a assignment to the minors by the Caps at this time?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
He has been assigned to Hershey.

If no other team put a claim in then he has already cleared waivers.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad