Waived: Sabres claim LW Axel Jonsson-Fjallby off waivers from WSH

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
This is who we use our waiver priority on? Not a goaltender?

I was sure we'd be nabbing a tender with our waiver claim

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

There's still time. Sabres are 1st in line to make claims (until at least November 1).

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

Well they still can. This isn't fantasy sports, waiver priority doesn't go away because a team makes a claim. The Sabres are guaranteed to have first pick on any player on waivers until at least November 1st, after that waiver priority will be determined by the current standings (note that I'm not 100% clear on the dates, they're probably slightly different this year due to the season starting later)

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
There is no chance he makes the roster. He will get waived but stick in Rochester because he doesn't make any other teams roster either.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
There is no chance he makes the roster. He will get waived but stick in Rochester because he doesn't make any other teams roster either.
I don't think their intent is to get him to Rochester. More likely he ends up like Remi Elie.

I think they will give him a chance. It is his to win (or maybe lose) a lineup spot.

Reactions: Buffaloed

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
Good article here with plenty of background.

https://novacapsfans.com/2021/07/07/axel-jonsson-fjallby-annual-review-and-forecast/

AJF scored seven goals and five assists in 19 postseason games.

A majority of his postseason goals came on nice defensive plays/steals of the puck in his own zone, and rocketing down the ice, outskating the opposition, and finishing one on one with the goaltender. His potential value on the penalty kill was on display.

“He’s got a phenomenal shot. He doesn’t use it enough. And he loves to pass,” said [Hershey] Bears head coach Spencer Carbery... “He loves to try to make passes when he should be shoot first, shoot first, shoot first. Because it’s hard to pick up. His release is difficult to pick up... His shot, it has movement on it. It’s like that fastball that moves. So we just continue, shoot, shoot, shoot.”

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
They have an NHL roster spot for this guy? I honestly don't get it. They can't send him down to the AHL without waivers, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad