Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Brandon Hickey, Mike Sislo from Coyotes for Hudson Fasching

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Aside from having three teammates in various positions in the organization...our Assistant Gm Greeley would have been working at BU involved in recruiting him if my timeline is correct.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Hoping this means something works out. I know the teams can't talk to the players directly before the deal is done, but there's any number of imaginable ways you could get the player's general desires before making the move. Including, eg, if the coyotes only reached out to teams that hickey expressed interest in going to.

That's the kind of trade and sign I can get behind. Hopefully that's what happened here.
A role's certainly there to grab, just matters if talks with his agent rank other potential destinations and factors higher to wait it out. I mean, Greeley, Eichel, E-Rod, and O'Regan are the obvious Commonwealth Avenue ties that could help with a comfortable transition into pro, and further, Hickey did play some U17 with Martin and was only a development year ahead of Guhle so he could know him too. That's plenty of guys with different perspectives on the organization if he reaches out.

Reactions: Chainshot

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Probably not, but it seems like McCabe escapes from criticism

Yeah the guy I called McTrash all season escaped criticism or others saying "I'm a nobody" when people were mocking him because he was awful.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don’t even think about McCabe anymore. The one thing he has going for him is that his contract is good. I could see him getting packaged in a deal.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
McCabe looked like he was improving every year and was good enough to play for Team USA in the World Championships a couple of years ago. Then it turns out he was playing hurt this year and required surgery. There is still hope for him.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
There may be hope...but there may not be a spot. If Dahlin is playing the left side he and Scandella have two of three spots on lock. That leaves McCabe and Guhle battling for the third while Pilut and (if signed) Hickey develop in Rochester. It might just be a matter of time.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
There may be hope...but there may not be a spot. If Dahlin is playing the left side he and Scandella have two of three spots on lock. That leaves McCabe and Guhle battling for the third while Pilut and (if signed) Hickey develop in Rochester. It might just be a matter of time.

McCabe does seem to be the odd man out down the road if Dahlin stays on the left side. We shouldn't have to move too quickly on him though, I don't see a problem with starting both Guhle and Pilut in Rochester or seeing if someone in that group can comfortably play on their off hand. I'd much rather see him in the opening night roster than Bealieu.

That being said, if we're looking to ship someone out for an equivalent RHD or LW, he's probably our best trade chip. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him moved before the season starts.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I had enough of Fasching love at one point in 16-17. Glad we are on the same page with Botts that hes worthless piece that can be moved for basically negotiation rights on a fringe NHLer. Not sure where Hickey fits even if he signs considering we have Guhle, Scandella, McCabe and Pilut at LD already but whatever. Hope it turns out a good mimo in the end but its rather insignificant at this point in time.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Well Hickey follows the Blackhawks on twitter so let’s just assume this ends like all things end lol.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Admittedly disappointed to see this happening. I think Fasching looked relatively good in those couple of games last season in Buffalo.

I personally don't think that they were going to let him walk. I think this had more to do with the fact that his waiver exemption had expired, and they prefer more speed in the lineup (meaning Bailey and Baptiste). You can't have too many unertainties locked as a roster players (especially when you NEED to improve like Sabres). So it was more than likely that Fasching would had hit the waivers meaning he'd had no value at that point. With this move they have the possibility of signing a prospect with waiver exemption left in his status and with decent potential.

Sislo's role in this deal was pretty much 100% guaranteed to just dump a contract at our way. Arizona has more flexibility at the draft this way. Of course, Sislo might as well sign with Buffalo, but I doubt that he was something Sabres asked for - more like that they were forced to take as a part of the deal.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Four down...one to go...

Danny O'Regan (BU - 10), Jack Eichel (BU - 9), Brandon Hickey (BU - 4), Brien Diffley (BU - 20), Evan Rodrigues (BU - 17) - The Boston University Terriers defeated the University of Massachusetts Lowell River Hawks 5-3 to win the Hockey East championship on Saturday, March 21, 2015, at TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts.

150321-19420780A.jpg

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Jump in the rush? Stick work? That’s Housley wet dream.

It’d be nice if he signs. Our d depth would be great again.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Jump in the rush? Stick work? That’s Housley wet dream.

It’d be nice if he signs. Our d depth would be great again.
I have some doubts he will sign considering there are currently 4 players in front of him on the depth chart. Maybe 5 if you include Bealieu. Theres probably a team out there with worse LD depth and he could simply go there if hes wanted.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Can't wait for Hickey to sign in LA in August. It wouldn't be a Sabres offseason without getting snubbed by an NCAA player.

Reactions: CacOBG

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The Sabres have a long history of providing 3rd and 4th liners to the rest of the league. I think Fasching will have an NHL career eventually. Sad to see him go, because of his back story with his two siblings being profoundly mentally/physically disabled.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Admitting I have no idea how good Hickey will be:

Signing both of these players: seems like a win. Sislo helps our depth.
Signing just Hickey: lottery ticket for lottery ticket, bringing better balance in the prospect pool.
Signing neither of these players: seems like bad asset management. Would like to believe Fasching was worth something concrete.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
The Sabres have a long history of providing 3rd and 4th liners to the rest of the league. I think Fasching will have an NHL career eventually. Sad to see him go, because of his back story with his two siblings being profoundly mentally/physically disabled.
Despite the AHL playoff scratch, I also think he will end up being a good 3/4th line winger. His boards game is top notch. Problem is, that's a polar opposite to what this team is moving towards and there just isn't a fit.

Sislo is Griffith 2.0, a good vet if signed, but again, we're in trouble if he's on the NHL roster
Hickey is good depth if signed. Low ceiling, but he better light a fire under McCabe and Guhle if they even want minutes. I would expect McCabe to be traded if Hickey is signed though-- just too many players and the waiver eligible always wins. McCabe may recover after the injury, but he's got too much ahead of him now, and I quite simply don't like his attitude. He's too passive.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Can’t wait for Both of them to not sign here and people defending Botts’ move.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
The simple truth is the Hudson wasn’t gonna make the roster and he has to exposed to waivers to go back to Rochester. His game doesn’t match what this staff wants.

Now we’ve may have acquired nothing in return but did we actually lose anything? However, Hickey May see a path to the NHL with the Sabres as it’s obvious we are moving out other defensemen and building around guys who skate well.

Will the same thing happen with Bailey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad