Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Brandon Hickey, Mike Sislo from Coyotes for Hudson Fasching

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I hope these guys just sign and stay well-producing Amerks or whatever for the rest of their careers... just so we can stop going on about the ripple effects of GMTM's trade and Brayden f***ing McNabb. What's done is done, why not just hope that these guys can get signed and contribute at some level here.

Reactions: joshjull

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
If Fasching got something I would have to think Bailey could as well.

Bailey has to have more value than Fasching. He has good tools, some team would take a flier on him to see if the can get him to click.

That being said, he should clear waivers just fine. He's probably one of those players that has more trade value after they pass through waivers.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
That being said, he should clear waivers just fine. He's probably one of those players that has more trade value after they pass through waivers.
Honest question, why would a player have more trade value just because they cleared waivers? Or why would a team trade assets for a player they could've just gotten for free.

Unless you mean he clears waivers to start the year, then impresses enough for a minor trade deadline deal.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Honest question, why would a player have more trade value just because they cleared waivers? Or why would a team trade assets for a player they could've just gotten for free.

Unless you mean he clears waivers to start the year, then impresses enough for a minor trade deadline deal.

If he's claimed on waivers he has to be on the NHL roster and would have to go through waivers again if sent down by his new team. If he already cleared waivers he can go and up and down with his new team without worrying about waivers. No idea how much more value it would add but its something.
@dotcommunism could clarify further if I'm off.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Can’t wait for Both of them to not sign here and people defending Botts’ move.

This is a strange stance to take. You defended Murray for trading a third for Vesey. How is that different from what Botteril did here?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-vesey-part-ii.2102937/page-24#post-120715789

What player did they miss out on with that "oh so important 3rd round pick"? What's the harm in using an asset which you have multiples of to get an inside track and get in the ear of player before anybody else can have a shot at it?

Buffalo getting to Vesey first and having a positive meeting as per Vesey, his agent, and Murray have said, puts Buffalo at the top of his list and gives him a standard in which other teams have to match/beat for him to sign with them. Buffalo giving him space and not putting pressure on him to choose is a good thing as well.

But I'm sure Murray 4 years from now will be kicking himself when he could've had the chance to draft such players as:

3 78 Nashville Frederic Allard D
3 79 Winnipeg Luke Green D
3 80 New Jersey Brandon Gignac C
3 81 NY Rangers Sean Day D
3 82 Philadelphia Carsen Twarynski L
3 83 Chicago Wouter Peeters G
3 84 Edmonton Matthew Cairns D
3 85 Anaheim Josh Mahura D
3 86 Buffalo Casey Fitzgerald D
3 87 Washington Garrett Pilon C
3 88 Tampa Bay Connor Ingram G
3 89 Florida Linus Nassen D
3 90 Dallas Fredrik Karlstrom C
3 91 Edmonton Filip Berglund D

Much Like Nashville is kicking themselves for wasting a pick on Vesey and not choosing:

3 67 St. Louis Mackenzie MacEachern L
3 68 Minnesota John Draeger D
3 69 Carolina Daniel Altshuller G
3 70 Winnipeg Scott Kosmachuk R
3 71 Tampa Bay Tanner Richard L
3 72 Colorado Troy Bourke L
3 73 Buffalo Justin Kea C
3 74 Dallas Esa Lindell D
3 75 Calgary Jon Gillies G
3 76 Ottawa Chris Driedger G
3 77 Washington Chandler Stephenson C
3 78 Philadelphia Shayne Gostisbehere D
3 79 Chicago Chris Calnan R
3 80 Detroit Jake Paterson G
3 81 Pittsburgh Oskar Sundqvist C
3 82 Ottawa Jarrod Maidens C
3 83 Pittsburgh Matt Murray G
3 84 Florida Steven Hodges C
3 85 Boston Matt Grzelcyk D
3 86 St. Louis Colton Parayko D
3 87 Anaheim Frederik Andersen G
3 88 Phoenix James Melindy D
3 89 Nashville Brendan Leipsic C
3 90 New Jersey Ben Johnson L
3 91 Edmonton Daniil Zharkov L

Onry

Mar 6, 2006
I like this effort toward apparent stockpiling of blue liners, even without worrying about where they slot in.. something this organization hasn't done in forever.

Am I right to remember that a major weakness at the last Sabres run to the Cup was that the top 4 or 5 or so defensemen were down with injury and we were too thin there? One problem, anyway?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting to see Arizona dealing their own AHL-level scratch (Wood) back to San Jose yesterday too. Chayka shuffling the uno deck.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This is a strange stance to take. You defended Murray for trading a third for Vesey. How is that different from what Botteril did here?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-vesey-part-ii.2102937/page-24#post-120715789

Yep, and I'm on the same side of this move as well. It's just going to be fun watching people defend the move because back then people took issue with Murray making this type of move. People love to crap on Tim, and we have a GM that pretty much does the same move. But because Botts did this move, it's going to painted in a positive light, whereas Murray would get criticized.

Reactions: gallagt01

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I would imagine Greeley's ties to Hickey are a reason they think he'll sign in Buffalo. He recruited him in his time at BU. That may be even more important than any other ex-teammates in the organization.

Curious how he feels about NYR with Quinn being hired there. Not sure how the depth chart looks for New York, but that's another option for him as well. He probably knew he wasn't going to re-sign in AZ, so he might've looked at destinations. Buffalo may have been one of those options, along with a few others. I hope he signs here as Depth on the blueline in this organization is important.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Fasching seemed like a great kid and I was really hoping it would work out, but he clearly didn't take the next step he needed to last season. I hope he puts it together with Arizona and becomes a productive NHL'er.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY

If they claim him on waivers, they can't send him down without going through waivers again and potentially losing him. And even then, his chances of making it to their AHL team are slim because if the player's original team (Buffalo in this case) claims him on the second go around, that original team can immediately send him to their AHL team. And the original team would have pretty much nothing to lose here except a contract spot so chances are they'd re-claim him.

If a team is interested in a player like Bailey but isn't sure if they'd keep him in the NHL for the full year, they'd want to wait until he's cleared waivers and then trade for him so that they can send him down and call him (within limits - players do have to go back on waivers after spending so many games or days in the NHL) without losing his rights. Teams are more likely to do this with players that they think have long term potential but haven't locked down a roster spot yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreakon13

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Odd thing to “can’t wait for” as a fan of this team.

Hey, what can I say, I enjoy some of the posts on these boards, they are fun to read. I look forward to see what happens. Either they signs or they don't, the resulting posts will be fun to read and debate.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Hey, what can I say, I enjoy some of the posts on these boards, they are fun to read. I look forward to see what happens. Either they signs or they don't, the resulting posts will be fun to read and debate.

I'm more of a fan of the Buffalo Sabres than a fan of drama on HF Boards.

Reactions: beerme1

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Interesting to see Arizona dealing their own AHL-level scratch (Wood) back to San Jose yesterday too. Chayka shuffling the uno deck.

Assuming that’s the Wood that used to play for North Bay, I liked his upside back then. Big RH shot D.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

As I said previously, odd a fan of the team is looking forward to us not signing players. For the "comedy" aspect of it doesn't seem like much of a rationale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad