Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Brandon Hickey, Mike Sislo from Coyotes for Hudson Fasching

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Really not a big deal shipping Fasching out, if he even got qualified by Botts he would have to clear waivers in the fall anyway since we all know he wasn’t going to get a roster spot.

Very true.

And IIRC I believe that both Bailey and Baptiste need to clear waivers if they don't make the Sabres, too.

If I had to choose one of the 3 to go, Fasching would be it. I'd rather give those 2 a chance over Fasching.

I see more upside in both Bailey and Baptiste, especially the way the NHL is trending with speed. Fasching was not what I'd call a fast skater...

Last edited:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Would McNabb look any different than McCabe on this team?

Yes. He would have looked like Mike Weber.

McNabb was a fringe NHL'er with potential when he was here. He was a fringe NHL'er with potential in LA. Maybe getting exposed in the expansion draft was the kick in the ass he needed. Maybe this year was an aberration and he'll go back to being a fringe guy. But I guarantee if we kept him within 2 years the pitchforks would have been out on here demanding we buy him out.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I feel the front page realignment post cup and for the draft has messed with people. I mean, International Tournaments is an interesting location for this.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Now we can go on Hickey Watch - Vesey Watch 2018 version.

Sad to see Fasching go. So easy to root for the kid since seeing the video of him with his brother and sister.

jFsPPd

Reactions: LaxSabre

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
The picks became Alex Lintuniemi who I’ve never heard of and Erik Cernak who they traded already.

Cernak is still a decent prospect. I'm surprised Lintuniemi never progressed. In junior he was the only defender I ever saw who consistently shut down McDavid one-on-one.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Really? Or being sarcastic?
December 2015: "Jack and I are good friends." Also, from same article, Eichel on Hickey at that time: "He's a real smart defenseman. I think another great thing about him, something I noticed, is he's got a great one-timer. It doesn't matter how hard you pass it, where it is, he can one-time anything. It's a skill not a lot of guys can do, and he's really good at it. He's a great player. He's smart. He understands the game. He skates well. He's really well-conditioned, so he can play a lot. I have a lot of great things to say about Brandon."

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Getting value out of a player they probably weren't qualifying -- something I assume Arizona knew too -- is a win in my book.

Wishing Fasching the best.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I do wish it had worked out for Fasching here. Super likable kid who is always so enthusiastic. But we need to get faster and that he couldn’t help with even if he was developing better. I’ll root for him to make it in Arizona.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
FYI, in March, Hickey's agent said that he didn't expect Hickey to sign with the Coyotes, as he wanted a chance at a bigger role than he thought was available in Arizona. Agency seems happy with the move too, but who knows if that means a signing's imminent.

I'm also assuming Sislo's included here because he's someone they're targeting for Rochester veteran leadership if they can also come to terms.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Hickey’s Agents tweeted/instagrammed out that he was excited to be acquired by the Sabres. Hopefully that indicates he will sign.

An Arizona reporter tweeted that his agent told them in March he didn’t expect to sign because he wanted a chance at a bigger role than he thought was available there.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Dammit how in the world did you post the same two things one moment earlier lol

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
FYI, in March, Hickey's agent said that he didn't expect Hickey to sign with the Coyotes, as he wanted a chance at a bigger role than he thought was available in Arizona. Agency seems happy with the move too, but who knows if that means a signing's imminent.

I'm also assuming Sislo's included here because he's someone they're targeting for Rochester veteran leadership if they can also come to terms.

Hoping this means something works out. I know the teams can't talk to the players directly before the deal is done, but there's any number of imaginable ways you could get the player's general desires before making the move. Including, eg, if the coyotes only reached out to teams that hickey expressed interest in going to.

That's the kind of trade and sign I can get behind. Hopefully that's what happened here.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Turning McNabb and 2 second rounders into 3+ years of Deslauriers and Fasching, and now Sislo, Hickey and Zach Redmond is just brutal value. I even don't know how it degrades from there, getting the rights to Jonathan Parker back ?
8477995-1.jpg

Holy crap... if Moulson paid Hickey to report in his place wherever the Sabres are burying him, how long would it take to notice?
That's the guy who stands in front of Dollar General and asks if you have spare change!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It’s like picking at a sore with some.

Hopefully we can sign at least one of them, otherwise it’s nothing.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I still think Fasching becomes an NHL player. Don’t know much about Hickey. But swapping one of the wingers for a defenseman always made sense.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad