Ryder takes #73, Gallagher now #11

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
All he needs to do is smile. Once he does, my heart melts and I ask, "Koivu, who?"
really hope I don't need the sarcasm face here...

He is wearing an iconic number (in my head the #11 is and always be Koivu's) so I really expect him to be a part of the long term success of this team. I know this is perception at its fullest but now I'm actually rooting a little more for the (little) guy.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Not on topic, but why do some fans dislike Ryder so much? Did he ask for a trade or what? I`m just asking for facts.

He was great for a few seasons but his last one turned pretty ugly. Couldn't get back in the lineup and I remember in the press box he was always joking around making paper planes and other crap like that. Eventually left in the summer and signed in Boston could be another reason to have pissed off fans. Anyways he knows what it takes to play here understands the pressure and I also think he has matured since then. He has another shot from me

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Not on topic, but why do some fans dislike Ryder so much? Did he ask for a trade or what? I`m just asking for facts.

Pretty much because he had a bad last year on a team that wasn't really going anywhere.

Honestly, he has improved his game ever since he left and became a much better player and I think we'll see that.

Odd prediction, I think he'll sign and stay with us for a while after this season.

Muminek

Jan 20, 2012
Thanks, I understand now. I hope next time he`ll throw a shoe like a real man. Price and Gorges seem happy on twitter

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

The fickle part of the fanbase make a lot of noise. He had 3 great years here, that wasn't enough for some people.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Ryder was and is always #73. Gallagher goes back to the #11 he had with the Giants and clearly #73 couldn't have any special meaning for him. Win-win.

axman88

Apr 5, 2007
Don't have time to read all the posts but I have two comments to make:

1. Start the Ryder, Budaj and a 2nd rumors....

2. Did we ever have a line with Kovalev - Koivu - Ryder (i think we did)
Galchenyuk (27) - Gallagher (11) - Ryder (73)

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Getting to wear 11 on the Habs is probably the coolest thing. Win win for both. Let's hope that Gally honours it like the previous...err, last to last owner of numéro onze.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
He once threw a paper airplane out of the press box while scratched.

That's all on Carbo imo. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a huge Ryder fan and he was my favorite Habs when that happened but Carbo had some grudge and a very short leash and things went down fast. The paper airplane was just Ryder saying "whatever" and as far as I'm concerned, he was right.

Very excited to see him back and he's a more complete player than when he left.

Anyway, wtf Gainey?? Managed to be part of getting rid of Ribs and Ryder TWICE?? I hope MB exploits the Gainey/Dallas avenue and sends them more of our bad contracts.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
That sneakyyy Gallagher!! He gonna have Leafs Goons crosschecking Ryder 73 instead of him..

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
That's all on Carbo imo. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a huge Ryder fan and he was my favorite Habs when that happened but Carbo had some grudge and a very short leash and things went down fast. The paper airplane was just Ryder saying "whatever" and as far as I'm concerned, he was right.

Anyway, wtf Gainey?? Managed to be part of getting rid of Ribs and Ryder TWICE?? I hope MB exploits the Gainey/Dallas avenue and sends them more of our bad contracts.

I agree completely (also a Ryder fan), I hated him for signing with the Bruins but it was obvious why, Julien knew how to get the most out of him while Carbo would rather play Kostopoulos on the top line. And Ryder, while still only very good at one thing, is a more mature player than he was back then.

But seriously, there's a whole narrative against Ryder entirely because of paper airplane-gate. But that's how things work in Montreal, and I'm sure Therrien and Bergevin made sure he was willing to return before making this trade.

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I agree completely (also a Ryder fan), I hated him for signing with the Bruins but it was obvious why, Julien knew how to get the most out of him while Carbo would rather play Kostopoulos on the top line. And Ryder, while still only very good at one thing, is a more mature player than he was back then.

But seriously, there's a whole narrative against Ryder entirely because of paper airplane-gate. But that's how things work in Montreal, and I'm sure Therrien and Bergevin made sure he was willing to return before making this trade.

Unfortunately, that's our fanbase. Just read all the posts since last night joking about airplanes and bringing back Dagenais and other ex-Habs. Ryder is a solid, above-average player in the league and he's on a very reasonable contract. There is no rule that says a player is banned for life once he leaves the team. Another thing that I keep reading that bugs me is that we're "getting smaller again". Crying out loud, the guys is 6', 200 lbs and hard to move in front of the net. What more do people want?

Then another criticism was "why rock the boat? we're 1st!!!". Guess what? We only have TWO wins against our division! And the most recent loss against the Sens was a good example that we need a garbage guy like Ryder to give us that extra goal when the game is tied. I'm so glad to see that MB is willing to preemptively improve the team regardless of recent success.

Regardless of that trade, a week from now, we could be a bubble team again so I would rather have a GM who's not too complacent.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Kaberle+Gionta for Morrow and a 2nd. :sarcasm:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So nice to see that Gallagher has assumed number 11 until the inevitable trade back of Saku Koivu... Let's get the old gang back together again.

And somewhere out there Ryan Walter has to be smiling that Gally decided to honour him with assuming his number.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Maxpac said:
I don't want to stir up crap, but that's a jackass move by Ryder, you're the new guy in town, you don't take other player's numbers. It'll be weird seeing the #11 on Gallagher.

I know rite, ****ing cancer...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad